4 Amplifiers!Which one to choose??

Username: Deepfloyd

Post Number: 1
Hello!After 3 days of research in AV-magazines I ended up confused among these 4 amplifiers:
1)Marantz PM7200
2)Harman-Kardon HK-3480(2x120)
3)Harman-Kardon HK-670(the one who got the EISA award)
4)Nad C352

I'm interested in filling a 40 m^2 room with rock music and with non-stop loud music.

What do you think of these 4 amplifiers?
Which would you recommend?

P.S.I would like to know if Harman-Kardon are reliable.I don't want to spend the rest of my life between technicians and guarantees but I really love their design.

Please help me guys!I'm sorry for all the trouble!

Bronze Member
Username: Spl

Post Number: 12
For what it's worth, in the June 2004 issue of What Hi-Fi, they did a group test for budget integrated amps:

Cambridge Audio Azur 640A
Marantz PM7200
NAD C352CT
Rega Brio
Rotel RA-01

The NAD came out as the 5-star winner. I'll quote some of the things they said about the C352:

"It combines power, dynamics, transparency better than it has any right to for this kind of money."

"Stereo imaging is superb. No rival in this test places sounds with such precision or recreates a soundstage with such convincing depth."

I believe NAD revised the initial NAD C352 which received a lacklustre review last October 2003.

I hope that helps. The Azur 640A also received 5-stars while all the others received 4 and paled in comparison with the NAD C352.

Post Number: 2
Myki i like the NAD very much, but I like amps as well!!

It seems to me that the NAD is the best among the 4, but i have to search a little more before I buy one of them!

Thank you for the answer!!

P.S: 2x120 from HK is not bad i think!!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1410
uh oh, looks like you are really leaning towards the HK. I don't blame you, it is an outstanding unit, and you really like the design! There is your answer, get the HK!!!
Robust power supplies, great musicality, tested reliability, superb design and aesthetically pleasing to YOUR EYES, (it is all that matter...YOU!) What are you waiting for???
Get it and enjoy it:-)
cheers

Post Number: 3
Thank you Berny for your advice!!! BUT... Are Harman/Kardon reliable??

And another question.. Are these 2x120 wrms from HK-3480 really 2x120 wrms or Harman/Kardon states more than in reality?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1434
I have had a pretty stable run with HK and they have been very reliable.

I don't know about the power ratings, though, but in the past, HK has been pretty honest with their claims. However, i will not concentrate on the Watts/channel, anyone can be honest about those things but the test results can be tailored to suit the outcome.

nout
Unregistered guest
I would definitely don't count the Rotel Ra-02 (or 01) and Marantz pm 7200 out.
In general the NAD appears to be the best in its pricerange (every hifi magazine agrees to that, with exception of Hi-Fi Choice - a UK magazine - who favours the Marantz)
I have auditioned all three before I got my Marantz pm 7200.
The differences are not that big, you'd be happy with all three of them.
The Rotel appeared to be the most neutral, fast and punchy amp of the three, it needs a good source however: the sound of the Marantz cd 5000 I used got distorted at high volumes.
The NAD is superb at dynamics, stereo imaging and detail.
The Marantz isn't as neutral as the Rotel nor does it have the dynamics of the NAD, but the sound is really easy going and warm. The level of refinement is amazing. The midds are in a different league, so sweet.
I find the stereo imaging and 3-dimensional soundstage equally fine as the NAD's. (Don't believe What Hi-Fi in this respect)
I think the Marantz is the most forgiving amp of the three (bad sources and crappy recordings will sound fine).
Carefully matching will be the key word.
The Marantz sounds the best with the source I am currently using, the Rotel could be the better amp when a superb source is used.
But honestly: You'll be happy with any of them.

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 77
NAD has the best sound of the 4.

nout
Unregistered guest
NAD has the best sound of the 4.

LOL
A true fact like 1+1=2, is it?
Funny guy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
It is a true fact after testing these models........ "funny guy"! Thanks for the Math quiz by the way! Can you make it a little harder for me?

nout
Unregistered guest
"funny guy"! Thanks for the Math quiz by the way! Can you make it a little harder for me?

LOL That is funny!

No I'm a true moron when it comes to math.
It wasn't my intention to insult you. Sorry.
I was doing my best trying to inform and share my experiences about the amps I had listened, wrote a long story in a language which isn't mine (I'm from The Netherlands) and there comes your contribution: NAD has the best sound.
What the F***!!??
How are you so certain about it? What is the best sound?
In my set-up the Marantz has the best sound, but I don't claim it to the best amp, with different source, speakers, room-acoustics the Rotel could easily be the best one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
You are right.......I may have been a little fast to the conclusion but my intention was for the money a warm sound seems to be the majority of peoples choice BUT like you said (in between the lines!) it all comes down to personal choice. I did not like any of the other 3 especially Harmon Kardon as I feel they have lost a lot of ground over the last 10 years when I used to own some of their stuff. I think they are now into the same area as DENON with the typical Japanese sound....bloated!

The Marantz models were very close for about the same money as NAD but I did not like their bass notes as much

Hey.......like I said before, if I had a choice it would be Krell for me.

Post Number: 4
I would like to thank both of you for the interesting answers!
nout,would you like to send me an e-mail to zimitis@yahoo.gr?(to discuss a bit about both amps)

I would like to see here in the topic more opinions about the 4 amps I mentioned before!

Thank you all for the help!

nout
Unregistered guest
Hmmm, yes I will send you an email if you like, but what do you want to hear from what I have already told?
What's your source (cd player,turntable) and what kinda sound are you looking for? What were you previously listening at?
For example: a better system doesn't always mean a friendlier sound.

And Danman: reading back what I wrote I can imagine your reaction and yes a warm sound seems to be the "magic word" for many, but my cd-player is a bit too bright sounding, so the warmer sound of the pm 7200 really suits this player very well.
And the NAD's bass is better I guess more precise but I like Marantz meaty, analogue quality (reminds me of poor tape recordings I made as a kid: a tilt in the bass delivery and a bit slow) I'm a bit nostalgic.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
To each his own! I am not sure if you mentioned it but what CD player do you have?

I think that Dimitris is forgeting the most fundamental aspect of audio enthousiasts........trust your ears!!!! Nobody can tell you what you like more than yourself! What we have is because of trial and maybe error! Make sure you buy equipment you can live with. So many people are convinced the name means all and when they arrive at home and set everything up, a big surprise happens.

As I previously mentioned ( I seem to repeatmyself a lot these days! I guess I'm getting older), I was going to buy an expensive JMLab set-up until auditioning AXIOMS. Not to downplay JM's as they are fantastic BUT I got something that my ears loved much more for half the price! JM's are bright and lack bass........they seem to be more of a classical music speaker. I love many types of music and needed something all purpose. The dealer I went to to audition the Labs would not even play a rock CD as he thought that it would not represent the acoustics of the speaker!!!!!!!???? Yeah right? I was buying to listen to music not to read a chart graph about the specific dynamics!!!!

Dimitris, go try them all and choose what YOU like........believe me, you will be happy!

Username: Spinner

Sacramento, California USA

Post Number: 1
I just committed to an Epic 60 speaker system and now I need a receiver. 800 to 1k range. My room is 13x20 two sofas, hardwood floors and sheetrock walls. Onkyo's seem to be popular. I don't think nature has endowed me with audiophile ears so high end components would just be for bragging rights. Any suggestions?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
I know nothing about Onkyo BUT I repeat that you should try a few and choose to your liking. Suggestions are fine and should be taken seriously but your ears should decide the
outcome!

By the way........great choice of speakers!

nout
Unregistered guest
To each his own! I am not sure if you mentioned it but what CD player do you have?

A Marantz cd 5000 ($250 budget player), I'm thinking of buying a new one. A Marantz cd7300 or NAD C542, but I'm not particuarly in a hurry, I'm pretty happy with the sound most of the times.

I think that Dimitris is forgeting the most fundamental aspect of audio enthousiasts........trust your ears!!!!

Exactly.
So, Dimitri follow Danmans advice; it'll be better than listening to my personal findings. (which will without a doubt be boring after a while) But if you want to I'll be happy to send you a mail, but don't expect an Experts point of view, I'm just an ordinairy music lover.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Nout, I have listened to "experts" before and was not impressed.

The C542 would probably impress you for the money. I have never tried the CD7300.....it is probably good as well considering the positive reviews.

nout
Unregistered guest
I've read some reviews at audioreview.com about the NAD C540 and C520. Terrific sound but problems with reading discs (CDR's)and skipping.
What about the C542, do/did you have any of these problems? How's the error-correction?
I like the looks a lot, plain grey minimalistic design. The Marantz looks great too if not a bit flashy.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Those models have been replaced. These problems are in the past however I never knew of them before.

Let's just respond by saying I have never had a disc skip a beat so from my experience, it has been flawless for the money paid!

I may go listen to that Marantz if I can find it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 85
May I just add that twice a year, I get a check up and clean up on my CD player. It costs 25$ and keeps it sounding great. I listen to A LOT of discs so for me it is a long term investment.

From what they tell me, they oil something and clean the lens as well as align it. However, I go to my authorsed dealer and would not recommend any old joe to do this! They know NAD as they have been selling them for 20 years.

nout
Unregistered guest
That's a great idea, a check up once in a while. And $25 well spend.
My Hi-fi dealer is nearby, a short walk (4 minutes max.) and they sell Marantz and NAD.
I've already auditioned both Marantz cd 7300 and NADc542.
Both sound great, there are differences but I cannot tell which I like better, so for me it comes down to reliability: I cannot stand skipping, it makes me paranoid and pretty agressive (I never listen to music as some background noise). Luckily my Marantz cd 5000 plays everything without problems.
Your experience with the NAD it has been flawless for the money paid! makes me feel confident enough to seriously consider buying the NAD!
I'll keep you informed.

Username: Varney

BirminghamEngland, UK

Post Number: 4
Now don't take this as an expert's opinion, but I really feel the skipping problem is due to dirt on the runners on which the laser assembly travels. You could probably do this yourself (if you're careful inside there) with some alchohol on a lint free rag.

V

Don't ask me how the dirt got into a well sealed unit, as with my Technics CD player - but it did - and cleaning those metal tracks definitely did the trick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us