Help, need a receiver by this weekend!

brandi
Unregistered guest
Sorry for the extra post, but which is the best choice for value/quality with NHT SB2. Music 85%/15% movie & music. I got great advices from several great members voting for the Marantz 5400. However, I would like to save a little money if possible and here are my alternatives.

1. Marantz SR5400 around $550
2. Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K 7.1 around $500
3. Harman Kardon AVR 230 around $375

I need to get it by this weekend.

Thank you.
brandi

Bronze Member
Username: Shank

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 57
I'm not sure if the pioneer is a pioneer elite receiver or not, but if its not a pioneer elite, its prolly not worth getting.

I have the avr230 and really like it.

I can't comment on the marantz or on which of wheter the h/k or marantz will match your speakers well.

The h/k has a nice warm sound so if your speakers are bright, that maybe a good obtion.

But you prolly want to weight on some of the xperts to weigh in before pulling the trigger.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 601
If you want features then Pioneer, if best sound then Marantz. The differences are not big and those are all very good choices so take the one you like the most.

Bronze Member
Username: Gatt767

Malta

Post Number: 61
I would go for the Marantz , great receiver and good power

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 80
marantz SR5400!!!

great amps
grat music
great surround

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1336
I vote for the Marantz 5400, great power supplies and nice amp section!

John 85212
Unregistered guest
I don't have any experience with the Marantz which seems to be a crowd favorite but I have the Pioneer VSX-1014. I would take anyones opinion with a grain of salt if they haven't used this receiver personally because it's beyond the basic Pioneer lineup; don't generalize when it comes to the VSX-1014. It's awesome; a great power amp, smooth, sweet, clear and very detailed in it's sound field imaging. THX select. The A.D.E. circuit in the power amp combined with the 48 bit/180 MIP processing puts this reciever at the top of the heap in this price range. It will have a long shelf life since it offers almost every feature someone would want in this price range, heck, even at twice this price. Seriously. Under the hood, it is an Elite receiver. Once a few magazines review this model it will become the hottest reciever on the market in it's price range. If you don't get it may end up wishing you did when the reviews come out.

The automatic MCACC is fantastic, a very accurate setup feature. This fine tuning feature gives this reciever the edge. It EQ's each channel for the rooms acoustic properties and the speakers tonal characteristics giving an almost perfect presentation of the sound across all frequencies. It was able to adjust for the smallest differences between identical speakers due to either their location in the room or variences from one speaker to the next. The only thing I altered is the sub level, I turned it up a little as I like a heavy bottom end.

Good luck in your choice!

Username: Awj53

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 10
Hi all! I have owned both the H/K 330, as well as the H/K 325, Marantz 5300, and have auditioned the 5400! They are both wonderful soundin units for music and theater! The Pioneer 1014 is NOT an Elite model! I have auditioned a couple of Pioneer units, Denon, JVC,Sony ES Yamaha etc! All in all, I decided on the H/K 325, its staying! Check my handle on Ebay...awj5351vi! I have been buying and selling a few items! The H/K 325 stays!

Bronze Member
Username: Jonmoon

Post Number: 87
Nice post Alvin. Its good to try lots of receivers. I tried the HK and Marantz and decided upon Marantz. However, I thought it was really close and liked the HK alot. The dealer sort of convinced me the Marantz was better. In my mind, HK and Marantz are on a par.

Silver Member

Post Number: 606
Actually the 1014 is the same as 52TX only without the Elite badge and glossy finish.

Username: Space_ace

Post Number: 7
Why is it so hard to find the 1014TX in general retail stores? Goodguys or Circuit City don't have it yet. I really thought the Goodguys would get it as soon as it was released because they carry all the entire elite line. Any thoughts?

brandi
Unregistered guest
Got it! I went with the Marantz 5400 because I wanted something that would be good for music.

HK - was ruled out because the blue is just a tad too modern/funky for me and the rest of my other components.

Pioneer VSX-1014 - really like the remote and many other features, but I had to go with the Marantz because it is focused more on music.

Thank you John 85212 for your post. It is good to hear that the Pioneer is also a good choice because I might get it as a present for my brother.

Thank you everybody for being so kind and helpful with people like myself who are just starting to get into audio.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 627
THe Pioner 1014 is not the same internally as the Elite 52 or any other Elite. Look at the weights of these units and you'll see on Pioneer's website that the 1014 only weights a bit under 20 pounds. For the money the 1014 might be an ok unit but lets not get carried away hear guys.

Silver Member

Post Number: 620
Elitefan, you're wrong. The weight on the website is wrong, this has been confirmed with Pioneer. The 1014 is internally same as 52TX.

Silver Member

Post Number: 628
landroval,
Have you asked Pioneer if the power supply, dacs,dsps, heat sinks are the same? The 52 weights a bit over 34 pounds and I doubt that the 1014 is the same weight or used the same power supply. I will call them myself to find out and if I'm wrong I'll certainly admit it but I have owned Pioneer and PE units and they usually do not put a Elite power supply into a regular line unit. I'll see what they say assuming I can get ahold of someone who knows which can be difficult at times. Later.

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 82
Are you comparing Europe top Pioneer models vs US Elite?

They are the same for sure!

John 85212
Unregistered guest
Pioneer VSX-1014

The weight on the website is wrong. I have one and just looked at the shipping label. It was weighed at 41 lbs. Take off a couple of pounds for the box, remote, 2 batteries, etc. and we are dealing with a 30+ lbs. receiver. I'd weigh it but it's all set up in my cabinet. I thought something was wrong on the Pioneer website because when I was setting it up it was darn heavy.

Anyway, in general this receiver really is all that. I don't mean to sound like a salesperson, I'm just very happy with this reciever. Over the last few weeks I've taken home and tried an HK DPR (sucks), HK AVR (good but the sound was less then inspiring for the price), Panasonic SA-HE200 (surprisingly good). I have also bought a higher end HTB for my other room but it had a digital path amplifier and was so bad at high volume that I returned it. These Digital Path Amplifiers lose most of their dynamic range as the volume is turned up.

Myself, as well as another poster, describe the pioneer VSX-1014 on this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/92600.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 630
I just got off the phone with Pioneer and was told that the 1014 and 52 are NOT the same internally. Power supply, dsp's and dac's are different. Features are very similar if not same on these models but they are not the same under skin. The Elite's also use copper connectors inside while the regular line does not. I think it's great that you all like yout 1014's so much and congrats for joining the Pioneer club that I have been a member of for 7 years. Let's quit quibling and enjoy our great Pioneer and PE receivers. Happy listening to all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 630
Ok, I was wrong. Still worth to pay extra for an Elite.

Username: Monty

Post Number: 1
Pioneer VSX 1014- Whether the VSX 1014 is the same as the VSX 52 only Pioneer knows. BUT, the weight of the 1014 is 34 pounds. I just received one, and having my curiosity sparked by this thread, weighed it right out of the box.
34 pounds. So something is the same between the two.

EBO
Unregistered guest
Just purchased this baby for 409.00 . hope you guys know your stuff.Always had yamaha but starting another system going to a small room boys are getting to big for the front room with friends.Now speakers have nht superones lovethem thinking of going to zeros with a sub any help would be nice.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us