Assembling a new theater system, need some input...

Username: Nicncs

St. Ansgar, IA

Post Number: 1
Have been thinking that the Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver and a set of the Bose Acoustimass 16 speakers would be a great way to go. What would be same quality or better and more bang for the buck ?
Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Shank

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 55
ppl are gonna laugh at your for mentioning bose

St. Ansgar, IA

Post Number: 2
Shank =>

We havent been in the market for long, we're just coming off of an old Dolby Prologic Pioneer :-P .. And the Bose/Yamaha comments were only because we had several friends recommend them.

Wanting to make sure we get set in the right direction, we opted to post the question to an audio forum who hopefully would not be as biast (such as, Yamaha is the ONLY way to go !!!!!!!), and could get a straight answer.

:-) ,

N

Bronze Member
Username: Shank

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 56
i don't have much experience, but form what i've read, i think the yamaha rx-v2400 is suppose to be a decent good receiver.

But ppl are gonna tell you not to waste money on bose.

I guess to start with, you should mention your total budget for the whole system and how much you were thinking on spending on the receiver and speakers. A general rule of thumb i think is to spend 25-33% of the budget on the receiver and the rest on speakers.

St. Ansgar, IA

Post Number: 3
Shank - I can pick up the 2400 for mid $700's.
I have a budget of $1100 to $1200 for speakers.
I believe I am going to get the 2400. Now, it's a good set of speakers I'm looking for.
Thanks for your advice - I appreciate it.

John 85212
Unregistered guest
I had a Bose Acoustimass for years. Just aweful, all marketing and hype. I could go on and on but they are just plain bad, many frequency holes in the soundfield. At the time I bought them I was new to home theater and was impressed by the store display.

The bottom line: They were OK for movies in 5.1 but the music reproduction was very bad, in fact I hardly ever listened to music on my main system because the sound was blah. As they say" No highs, no lows, must be Bose". My $100 boom box had more musical characteristics. I didn't know what if the problem was my receiver, the cables, the speakers, etc.

Then, since I still wanted satellites, I got these:

http://athenaspeakers.com/micra6SystemSpeakers.htm

Now my system sounds really good. It was the Bose speakers that were the problem. It's almost enough to make a person angry, that's why there is such disdain for Bose, I know firsthand. You sink all this money into a system and it sounds like garbage. Unless you're quick to jump ship you end up just living with it. After you spend $1,200 or more on speakers you feel like you made your choice and now you are stuck. That's why people have this hatered of Bose. Bose have the resources to make a better product, but they refuse to do the right thing. The acoustimass speakers are equivalent to the speakers you get with a $150. home theater in a box. They reproduce frequencies that are dominant for the human ear so in store demonstrations sound much better then real world use. Once you use them at home with any music that has a wide range of sound they just fail.

When I got the Athenas it was like removing ear plugs. And to top it off, they can be had for $475. at Best Buy. I also run an additional 12" powered sub with the crossover cut off around 60. My experience is that nothing replaces a 12" or 15" sub for the lows. The Athena sub fills in the 60-150 area quite well. 150 may seem high but it just sounds good, really full.

It's easy to just say something sucks but I hope sharing my actual experience helps to clarify the situation with Bose.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1373
Nick check out this system from Axiom. I have listened to products from this company and currently have the M60 and M80 and they are stunning.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicmidi.html

I also have the Athena set-up with ASF-2 and an ASC-1. An excellent set, but they carry a weak subwoofer, check out the offerings from SVS, HSU or Velodyne.

You may also want to look at Ascend Acoustics. I auditioned these and they are exemplary.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200hts.html
Have fun with your search and let us know which ones you choose.
cheers

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 624
Take a look at Paradigm.They make several great speakers at all price points and match Yamaha as well as anyone. You will find many options to put together a nice system with this combination. The above suggestions are good as well and you should look at them. In my experience nothing sounds as good with Yamaha as Paradigm. And buy all means stay away from Bose.

Bronze Member
Username: Awj53

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 21
No highs, no lows, must be bose! This comes from a bose rep! You can do better! Always let YOUR ears be the judge! PSB, Paradigm, Definitive Technology, Energy! I normally do not become involved in product bashing at all! But, bose, are just plain aweful, and SERIOUSLY over priced for what they are, or should I say are not!
Their slogan, better sound through research, should actually read, better sales through marketing!!!
Alvin

St. Ansgar, IA

Post Number: 4
Thank all of you for the wonderfull response. I feel that you have saved me from making a mistake. I have purchased a NAD T753 and an excellent set of Klipsch speakers.
Thanks again
Nick
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us