Troubleshoot H/K receiver!!

Bronze Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 45
Hi everyone,

Now I really need help.
I got a DVD player that has digital optical out, and I hooked it up to my H/K AVR330 and set the DVD input to Optical 1 (the corresponding input) and at first it gave me the "unlock" message. So, I turned on the dvd player and popped in a dvd, and then it worked, but it gave me this strange message: "PCM 48 Khz". And, the options for Dolby Digital and DTS are still not available. WHAT GIVES!?

I read through the manual, and there's nothing in there about this. Can someone please help, I am getting frustrated. I was really looking forward to watching a movie tonight.

Thank you,
Ryan

Bronze Member
Username: Shank

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 53
R. Schneck,

Step back from the audio equipment and take a big breath.

First, PCM 48 Khz, means that its sending a stereo digital signal to your reciever.

Try to go into the dvd setup menu and find where it has audio settings
tell it to send the digital bitstream to the audio server. (and if it has some setting to allow dts, tell it to allow that).

have fun :-) and don't get so frustrated, we're here for ya!

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 54
by server, i meant reciever, so you want digital/dolby/dts bitstream sent to the receiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 46
good ol' shank. i knew i could count on you. i got everything to work...FINALLY! for my first audition of true surround sound, i watched 'saving private ryan.' i bet that's what a lot of people choose as the first movie to try out. anyway, i don't know if you read my post about weak dialog, but my center channel still sounds a little too soft. during the quiet conversation parts of the movie, i can't quite hear what they're saying. do you think maybe my center has something wrong with it? (before you ask, yes, i did the EzSet) I even put the center up one notch (db) after the EzSet was completed. I will have to try some experiments when i get home tonight, to figure out if the speaker is not working properly.

Thanks Again,
Ryan

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 61
R. Schneck ppl do complain of week dialog quite often, but i almost don't wonder if this is because movies are just much more dynamic. Its not like watching TV at all. It's kinda like listening to the radio and then listening to a symphony in person.

So, dvd/ht is meant to be pumped up. If your afraid of disturbing your neighbors and just don't like the movie to be so loud, but still want to hear dialog, try durning the dynamic range to max (i.e. press the "night" button your H/K remote). This compresses the dynamic range of the soundtrack, make softer sections louder (like dialog) and making louder sections softer (like explosions).

Next time you goto a movie theater, pay attention to how loud the movie is and how dynamic (the difference in volume between the soft and loud parts) the sound is.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1415
shank is on the right track for yu.

but you could just do what i do when i'm not cranking the movie
late at night.

after all your ez is all done press the test button and listen to
all the sounds around you then turn up the center
until you think it's
definatly louder then the right and left speakers.
that should bring the voices right in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us