Marantz 5400OSE vs marantz 7400

iLLusion
Unregistered guest
Hi
Im planning to buy one of these receivers.
I can get the marantz 7400 for a good price,
but is the marantz 7400 much better then the marantz 5400OSE?
What would you do, buy the marantz 5400OSE and save some money or buy the marantz 7400 for a really good price.
Do you notice any differents in the sound quality?
I use wharfedale diamond 8.4 as front speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Culp4684

Post Number: 26
Can't say I've ever listened to the 5400, but I bought the 7400 about a week ago for $850. So far I love it and the sonics are leaps and bounds over my old Yamaha 992.

Illusion
Unregistered guest
Is there nobody who knows if there is a differents in sound quality??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
The only way you are going to know that is by auditioning them yourself. I wouldn't even consider spending the $$$ on the 7400 until I heard it in the showroom. Both units that you mention will sound better than anything Best Buy or Circuit City will have to offer. I'm not sure where you are located at, but if you can I would find a place that carries Marantz just to go and listen.

Illusion
Unregistered guest
Thx!
But i've listened to the marantz 5400 OSE and sounded great! but they didn't have the marantz 7400 in the listening room.
I live in holland and can get the marantz 5400 OSE for 500 euro and the marantz 7400 for 650 euro's.
I've heard that the 5400 OSE sounds better then the 7400 do you know that??

Bronze Member
Username: Sulfur

Post Number: 42
Humm my earlier reply didn't show up. Weird.

Anyways, I don't think the sound difference will be drastic. Logic says the 7400 is better because of more power & additional features such as 7.1 (vs 6.1 for 5400), Dolby PLIIx, A/B, etc.

I have a 7300ose & my brother has a 5400. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 7400 or 5400ose.

Bronze Member
Username: Persvako

North Europe

Post Number: 41
Reviews say 5400 OSE is better. I dunno. It is second edition, there are some obvious changes in the components comparing to standard 5400. I'd buy 5400 OSE. You do nothing with 7+ systems. 5 is enough. :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 74
I've read the musical performance of 5400OSE is better than 7300, but 7400 is better then both.

Anyway, I auditioned the 7400 last week and I was amazed!

Auditioned the 5400 few days before and liked very much too!

Go for the 7400 no doubt.

In September there's the new 5500 nad the 7500 in November.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
If I'm not mistaken, the 7400 has the input for SACD and DVD audio where the 5400 does not. I'm not really into these new formats as of yet. But its nice to know I can make that move if and when I so choose.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 589
Every Marantz receiver has DVD-A/SACD inputs so no differences there. I would listen to 5400OSE vs 7400 before buying, because I've heard too many stories about the OSE beeing better.

Bronze Member
Username: Alexfromholland

Post Number: 16
I agree with landroval, I've heard that the 5400OSE is better in normal stereo. So try before you buy. Also: more watts don't mean better sound

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
You only can find any worth difference with a dedicated CD player.

Even then I would bet in the 7400.

Silver Member

Post Number: 594
Falp, are you saying this with no experience of the OSE? Because it's a night and day difference between OSE and normal 5400.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Just curious, what does the suffix OSE mean? I see no reference to a 5400OSE at the Marantz USA website.

Silver Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 603
OSE - Original Special Edition. In other words, a tweaked up version. Marantz usually does one OSE with each year's new release. Last year it was the SR-7300. In Aus the SR-7300 OSE was about $600 more than the standard model - which I got. And it's great btw.

Silver Member

Post Number: 597
Marantz states that OSE is usually a model that's done the way they would prefer to do it if money was not an issue. It has bigger and better internal components and great sound. I would say the 5400OSE has the second best sound after NAD T743 in ~600 euro class.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
5400 OSE was worth it if it didn't have the same price as the 7400 (1199 €)

iLLusion
Unregistered guest
Well i have decided and chosed the marantz 5400 OSE for 500 euro's not 1199 euro's :S
And i sounds amazing!
Thx for all your help.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Nice option!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Awj53

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 11
illusion! I have listened to both of the receivers (5400/7400) very similar sound, the 7400 has more features beefier power supply, nicer remote! It depends on what you are after? The 5400 is a nice machine, and covers all the basics, and then some!
Alvin

Silver Member

Post Number: 605
Alvin, you're talking about non-OSE 5400 right?

iLLusion
Unregistered guest
There is a big difference between the marantz 5400 and the 5400 OSE, OSE sounds much more musical then the 5400.
The 5400 OSE sounds in stereo mode better then the 7400 imo.
Because of that i chosed the marantz 5400 OSE.
I dont need 7.1 machine or a remote control with display for 150 euro's more and it sounds lesser musical.

Silver Member

Post Number: 607
iLLusion, with what speakers did you listen to those Marantz's?

iLLusion
Unregistered guest
I have the wharfedales diamond 8.4 as front speakers.
There are a wonderfull match imo.
And as rear the diamond 8.1 and center diamond c.
And the wharfedale diamond serie is cheap!
But they give so good sound don't know how they did it for so low price.

iLLusion
Unregistered guest
oh sorry missunderstood.
I listen to the marantz with some Jbl speakers but dont know what serie i thougt something like xt1000
They sounded great.
But with my wharfedales also.

Bronze Member

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 16
NO landroval! I am talking about the stock 5400! Thelocal Marantz dealer does not carry, nor does the North American Marantz full line A/V product catolog show the OSE version, which I have read is something special indeed! The folks in G.B/ Europe have some models available to you we do not have in the USA! The K/I signiture series is another one I can remember also!
Alvin

Silver Member

Post Number: 611
Yes, I meant stock with 'non-OSE'.

illusion
Unregistered guest
Yeah the 5400 OSE is not in america.
Only in europe and australia dont know for sure but not in amerika you guys have the marantz 6400 if im not wrong.

Bronze Member

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 19
Yes, we have the 6400. Is that the same as the 5400ose, I dont thik so, but I could be wrong?

Silver Member

Post Number: 613
No, it's not the same.

mattburk
Unregistered guest
Any body listen to the sr 8400?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us