Rear channel matching?

rack04
Unregistered guest
How important is it to match the rear channel L/R speakers to the front mains and center channel? The reason that I am asking is because I want to purchase a pair of bookshelf speakers but it is hard to find the pair to match my Cerwin Vega V-12F mains and Cerwin Vega V-5C center channel. Plus I would like to get something of a little better quality so I can use it in a new system when I buy a house.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1284
not as critical as the fronts. They are there mostly for ambient sound effects. A bit more critical if you listen to a lot of SACD and DVD audio.

rack04
Unregistered guest
This home theater system will be used primarily for DVD movies. I plan on buying a pair of JBL E-20 Northridge E series bookshelf speakers for the rear surrounds. How well will these speakers sound together?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1285
They should play well together:-)

rack04
Unregistered guest
I was just informed that the JBL E-Series are rear ported, which rules them out because they are to be wall mounted. Any recommendations for front ported bookshelves under $150. I plan on listening to the Athena AS-B1 and Polk R15 today after work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1290
The Athenas will perfect. I am not a big fan of the Polk R series, I think they skimped on building those, and they sound a little thin.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 620
If you listen to concert dvd's at all I think it's very important that all speakers match tonally. I have played around mixing and matching different brands and I could not see keeping a mix for any length of time. In my experience it drove me nuts. I would get rid of those cervin vegas and get something better as soon as possible befor worrying about the rears.

rack04
Unregistered guest
I don't listen to concert dvd's at all. What is wrong with cerwin vegas? I think they sound great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us