Under $150

An Audio
Unregistered guest
I would like a decent 5.1 receiver for <$150. I am looking at Onkyo TX-DS494 ($140), Pioneer VSX-D511 ($135), Kenwood VR-606 ($123), Kenwood VR-616 ($133), Kenwood VR-705S ($143), Technics SADX940 ($150), Somy STR-K750P ($145). (Prices include shipping) DTS would be preferable. DVD Audio (optical) would be nice, too. Any help offered to remedy my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1282
These units are virtually the same with Kenwood and Pioneer having better power supplies, for such a mass market product. It all comes down to the features that you want.

AnAudioFreshman
Unregistered guest
Which Kenwood?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1288
The 7 series.

AnAudioFreshman
Unregistered guest
Aren't Kenwood and Pioneer (along with numerous others) notorious for overrating their WPC. Do all these companies do that or is one of them better at giving the true WPC?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1291
Actually Kenwood is one of the better ones at rating their output.

Bronze Member
Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 21
Also look at a refurbed Onkyo 501. It should be about $150.

AnAudioFreshman
Unregistered guest
I'm leaning toward Onkyo 494 . . . it may have lower power ratings, but I think it may be more conservatively rated than any of the others . . .

Bronze Member
Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 22
Problem solved

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=199034

Denon AVR-483 $130 delivered

AnAudioFreshman
Unregistered guest
It seems that Denon on that link has some highly exaggerated specs. 100 watts per channel AT 1 khz WITH 6 Ohm resistance (not 8 Ohm) and .7% THD. The Onkyo may not have those stats listed, but it does have 55 Watts per channel into 8 Ohm. Are they equal . . . Or am I totally off base . . .

Silver Member
Username: Billdashill

Post Number: 106
I wouldn't think any receiver under $150 would have a dramatic difference in sound or power. Denon and Onkyo usually don't fudge too much on their power ratings. I'll bet that the Onkyo sounds better in this comparison.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1314
Don't ask too much of a $150 receiver, you have to realize that these are produced at high volumes and are cheap to manufacture.

Bronze Member
Username: Awj53

West Sacramento, CA USA

Post Number: 20
Actually, there are very few companies that rate their watts per channel AS ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN! Usually if you look close, it is , say 100 watts per channel one channel driven! Marantz, NAD, Rotel, and Harmon Kardon are the only ones that I know of that rate their receivers at, say 55 (or what ever the rating is for a particular model) watts per channel, ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN!
If your speakers are relatively sensitive, 89 DB+, and your room is of a reasonable size you should be ok! Berny, I concur, in this catagory, or at any price point really, it boils down to features! Be careful of refurbs, or B stocks, know the return policy, the unit could be a real deal, or a bust! I used to buy Yamaha B stock, six out of ten units were either cosmetically trash, or malfunctioned, or worse yet in one case, both!
Alvin

AnAudioFreshman
Unregistered guest
Thanks, I'm going with the Onkyo 494, Refurb with money back 30 day guaruntee . . . its due in a couple days . . .
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us