HK 7200 for a steal

Username: Ncavman

Post Number: 8
Just FYI... onecall.com has the H/K 7200 for $899 like some other sites, but minus a $30 rebate if purchased by 12/31/03, minus another $15 instant purchase discount, code BIGSALE03. That is new not refurb'd units.

So, that is a whole lot of receiver for $854 from an authorized dealer. Add $15 and pick up an additional 3 year warranty for a total of 5 years.

For those looking for 7.1, HK power and features, auto-calibration, etc, seems like a great opportunity.

Cheers -

KidA
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the info NCAVMan. I just called and they gave me $884 including shipping. Its a new promo that starts when this one ends. May be a little better than the current deal since shipping is close to $50 and no rebate form.

Post Number: 9
Wow congrats, that is outstanding. I can see why shipping price would be a concern since it weights 61 pounds!

Check out these 7200 lab results from Sound and Vision Mag:

- Output at clipping (1 kHz) one channel driven into 8 ohms-196watts, 4 ohms-332watts
(22.9/25.2 dBW)

- Five channels driven (8 ohms) 142 watts (21.5 dBW)

-Distortion at 1-watt output (1 kHz, THD+N, 8/4 ohms) 0.03/0.04%

-Noise level (16-bit signal, A-wtd) --74.6 dB
-Excess noise (16-bit, with sine tone) +1.25 dB
-Frequency response (20 Hz to 20 kHz) +0, --0.3 dB

I know they are 'lab' results, YMMV, etc, but combine the specs above with an HCC of +- 75 amps, and you have one VERY stout AVR. That is a deal considering a $2000 msrp and many sites still have the $1299-1499 price.

~Enjoy

----
from "Spotlight test report: Giving Receivers" in the June 2003 S&V.
Copyright © 2003 by Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S., Inc.;
DOLBY DIGITAL PERFORMANCE All data obtained from computer-generated Dolby Digital test signals incorporating dither, which sets limits on measured distortion and noise performance. Reference input level is --20 dBFS, and reference output level is 1 watt (2.83 volts) into 8 ohms, obtained with the volume controls set as indicated below. All speakers set for "large" except for subwoofer and high-pass-filter measurements, where they were set to "small" (or "normal"). All are worst-case figures where applicable.

KidA
Unregistered guest
Excellent. I'm peeing my pants waiting for this thing to arrive. Fedex says Jan 5 but I'm holding out hope for Friday. I purchased the MA Silver S6 speakers about a month ago and have been using my hk avr40 with them. Cant wait to hook them up to a more capable receiver.

Thanks again for the info. That post really saved me a lot of time finding a good deal at a reputable company.

Post Number: 11
Preface: I am no snobby audiophile. Lets get that out of the way. If I say the wrong word or misspell some stupid soundfield GET OVER IT and go to the next thread. Thanks to all of you who helped me along the way whether by your direct input or by reading your posts to others. I plan to test out a few AVR's before settling on one.

---------------

Well, 4 hours after the AVR 7200 arrived, and a broken back getting it up to my bonus room (no lie) ... so far so good. Been listening/playing for a few hours. I will run it for a week or so and try to figure the cmos out. It is very different than what I am used to.

Initial thoughts:

Set up is very easy. Connections are very well laid out on the rear and the OSD is about as simple as it gets. I like the split speaker-outs, that works well with the way I wired things. Nice heavy removable AC cord. Has a surfboard sized remote. You have been warned. But it does cover all the bases.

I am used to a million buttons and features and DSP's (Sony ES, Yammie, Onk) but this one is more to the point and elegant. BTW, I suggest you glare into the heat vents at the transformer and caps, holy $)#@(*.

Oh, I will have to look into a new AV rack, it is about 3 inches deeper than my rack will handle.

Listened to several sources so far, DVD and cable. DVD was optical as well as 5.1 direct and cable is a Pioneer HD box with a coax digital output and also analog RCA. The 7200 is correctly auto-detecting analog and digital broadcasts and selecting the appropriate input.

DVDs so far are DTS Eagles, Steely Dan, and Iron Maiden live in Rio (woah). The onboard decoding sounds marvelous. CDs so far are from the Rippingtons, David Sanborn and The Cure. Wow. Movie clips so far, Matrix lobby scene and various parts of Gone in 60 Seconds. Everything was where it was supposed to be, very powerful but not way too much in your face. Dialogue was very nice. Peaks were amazing I guess from the massive power reserves. I don't know why yet, but my Def Tech subs sound much better though input level seems to be significantly lower ( I am having o run them hotter even after speaker setup with SPL. I have no clue why just yet. Even before break-in it it already natural sounding and very full. Low end is SOLID and astounding to say the least and mids and highs are as expected. Soundstage is big and I have already had to get up several times to confirm whether a center or surround was on or off since things are dancing all around on a deep stage. I have never heard such bass with authority from my Infinity Overtures (with no sub activated). Reviews had me expecting it to be a bit more laid back than it is. There is a lively feel and accuracy is apparent. I will say that twice already I have heard some intricacies on well known songs previously unheard with my older ES receiver.

I have not been able to figure out how to listen to 2 ch stereo when using a digital connection yet. It automatically selects Dolby Digital upon detection of the digi coax connection and enables surround modes. Regular stereo is not an option unless I switch the input back to analog. I think this is by design. I am sure there is some major tweaking to do and I have not tried the pure direct options yet.

On a down side, I am hearing a tad more noise than I am used to. Not sure what it is coming from and will not blame the receiver yet until I recheck all my interconnects and tweak some more. I notice it on the cable box video 1 input whether analog or coax. More on that later. Like I said, it could be something I am doing. I am fairly meticulous about separating audio and power connections and isolating components but still I could be screwing it up somewhere.

This gorgeous AVR has cahoneys my friends, major large brass ones. Your neighbors will not like it. ;)

More later after I figure out what I am doing. But so far, so good......

KidA or others... give your feedback on the 7200 when you get set up.

Anonymous

I am also seeking feedback from owners before I make
THE decision

Anonymous

KidA,

How did you get it for $884 including shipping, just by calling onecall?

Post Number: 12
Hey guys, follow up to my previous post above... the noise problem I mentioned was my HD cable box... not a problem with the 7200. Never new the cable box was such a noisy component before with my other receiver. Got a different one now. All is still very well so far with the 7200...

BTW onecall.com still has a few left as of today.

KidA
Unregistered guest
Anonymous, yes I called and they gave me the deal.

KidA
Unregistered guest
OK I got the receiver Friday and began hooking up everything. My MA S6s sound great with stereo music. This is my first true surround sound receiver so I am new to this stuff. Ran an optical cable from my DVD to Optical1. Still only have the fronts and a center so sound was limited.

NC AV Man, why wouldn't Dolby Stereo 3 mode be available when I play Dolby DVDs usch as Gladiator? According to the manual this mode would be available and mix the rear speakers into the front for 5.1. Only Dolby and VMax modes were selectable when playing my DVD.

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 49
KidA: surprisingl, the H/K, when it "sees" a Dolby Digital or DTS encoded signal on an optical connection, will only allow the DD/DTS or VMax to be used. This is by design. I've tried myself to get around it, but can't. So, I have both my DVD players dual connected to the receiver (analog and digital/optical) and switch the input from Digital (opt/coax) to Analog when needed.

KidA
Unregistered guest
Thanks geekboy. My current DVD only has 2.1 connections so I dont think I could do anything with my center speaker even with analog.

Post Number: 14
Yep I am finding the same thing (with a digital coax connection), when it autodetects DD or DTS you will get DD or Vmax options only, not Logic 7 or any others.
I am on vacation for a few days and can't test anything until Friday. If you guys figure anything out please post it.

Post Number: 15
Just a final follow up to the inital post on the 7200 I got.

Well, for under $900 with a 5/yr warranty it was an absolute steal. If you consider that it breathed new life into my Overtures it is really an incredible deal. Its like they are brand new again.

And if anyone can explain this... my Def Tech subs sound 100% better. I can't figure out why the huge change on the LFE channel. Same subs, same cables, different AVR.(had the top ES AVR before). They are far more tight now and play lower without distorting than before. They just plain sound more expensive then before. Who knew there could be that much difference in the line level wiring and components in two $1000+ receivers. I have not checked output voltage on the 7200 sub-out, I wonder how much it differes from my other AVR. It seems lower (have to run subs slightly hotter) but much much better. It is like night and day difference.

I put in a CD I got for Christmas and about started getting teary, it sounded that good in Logic 7. I could feel instruments not just hear them.

There are some querky things on the AVR that I will get used to such as the forced-autodetect of DD signals. And it is huge, freakin massive. It won't fit in my new rack. However, I would never turn down great sound like this over a furniture problem -- the furniture will be replaced, not the AVR.

Great sound, that is what we are here for. The 7200 delivers in my case.

I am now in search of a great new DVD to replace an aging Sony. Any recommendations are welcome but I will also move over to the DVD forum and check there.

Username: Geekboy

Post Number: 74
AV Man: you need to update your profile with the AVR 7200!

Post Number: 16
Hehe. Good catch Geekboy, will do.

KidA
Unregistered guest
The 7200 really sounds great with my MA S6s and SLCR. Still trying to find time to figure out all the features. Keep the tips and info coming.

Just ordered the HSU VTF2. Now I just need wall hanging rears. Anyone have suggestion on a good match with the 7200 for under $500/pair?

KidA
Unregistered guest
Never mind, just got a pair of matching SFXs at SoundCity Outlet for $443. These are what I wanted but I wasnt willing to spend $800-900.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us