Quick Stereo or Mono Question

Bronze Member
Username: Phoenix1397

Post Number: 12
I've got a 1000W amp, can I run 2x160W and 1x200W speakers (3 in total) in stereo or do I have to switch to mono? The 3 speakers are 8ohm. The spec of the amp is 8ohm stereo and 4-8ohm mono bridged. The amp has got two rows of connections A and B and a switch on the front which will allow A and B to be on simultaneously.
The rear of the amp looks like the pic. I've got 3 banana clips, does the polarity matter?
ThanksUpload

bklinder
Unregistered guest
Wow, that is a big amp! Yes, polarity matters, and yes, since all of your speakers are 8 ohms, you can hook 3 speakers here. If your source is stereo, you will have to choose which side, left or right, will get the extra speaker. If your source is mono, it won't matter. I would set your amp to run A & B speakers simultaneously, connecting each 160w speaker to a set of A terminals, and connecting the 200w speaker to either of the unused left or right B terminals. There is another way you could hook them up, but I think this is the most straight forward, and your end result will be the same. Anyone else agree?

Bronze Member
Username: Phoenix1397

Post Number: 13
What way do you suggest I wire it with regard to the polarity since my banana clips are not marked, only coloured, blue and yellow wires and on one clip the wires are black and white. Which goes to + and -.
Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1358
well more than likely black is neg white pos.

blue and yellow, my guess would be blue neg and yel pos.
you could open the speakers and trace the wire to find out for sure.

it won't hurt the speakers or the amp if their backwards
thay'll just be out of phase and you can usually tell by loss of bass.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us