I need help picking a receiver/speakers

The Math Guy
Unregistered guest
I use my computer for all my music/movies. I just got a 7.1 soundcard with an optical out. Computer speakers are just too cheesy. I would like to get a decent receiver with an optical input, DTS, DD, and DPL but not a lot of dough. I have some vintage pioneer speakers right now (3-way with 12" woofers) and an old pioneer sx-201. I'm eventually going to get a full HT system . . . when I get more money. Older equipment ideas would be welcome. (I'm looking at a around $100-200 for receiver and perhaps Fluance or comparable speakers) Any thoughts / ideas / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Smitty

Canada

Post Number: 119
Have a look over on ecost.com, you can get an Onkyo SR501 refurb for $160. There's a few Denon models as well for the under $200 range.

The Math Guy
Unregistered guest
Is the Pioneer VSX-D412/RCA STAV-4180 any good? I have a really small room, so I probably don't need excessive power ratings . . .

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 543
The lower end Pioneers are no match for the Onkyo SR501. It's a safe choice and has everything you need. The VSX-D812 would be around the same level, but the D412 is much worse.

The Math Guy
Unregistered guest
Aiwa AV-D67 is on ebay under $100 . . . Says
100 Watts X 5 ch with sub pre-out . . . I read a few favorable reviews, is there anyone with any experience with this receiver? It appears Aiwa long since gave up the receiver business, though . . . also looking at Kenwood VR-505 . . . I assume the Onyko SR501 will still blow the socks off either of these.

Silver Member

Post Number: 546
Yes, indeed. I would try to forget all these low end brands and stay with well known hifi manufacturers.

The Math Guy
Unregistered guest
Harman-Kardon has an AVR-125 on their website for $200. It only has 45 X 5 in surround. Although, I have heard H/K gives conservative power estimates rather than the inflated ones that other manufacturers give. Is H/K a vast improvement over Onyko?

The Math Guy
Unregistered guest
Yamaha is offering a HTR-5635 for $180 on their website. 85 watts X 5. How does this stack up to the H/K and Onyko?

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
I would choose between the H/K and Onkyo. H/K has a warmer and fuller sound, while the Onkyo is more detailed and has more features. The Yamaha is a weaker option.

Bronze Member
Username: Shank

Pittsburgh, PA

Post Number: 47
i think if you have a small room, the onkyo or H/K will have more than enough power. Doesn't it take like 2x the power to get a 3db increase in sound?

The Math Guy
Unregistered guest
Has anyone heard of JBL DCR600II-Z (100 X 5)? It's on ebay for under $100 now (I'll bet it ends much higher).

The Math Guy
Unregistered guest
Or how about Sherwood RD-8108 (100 X 6)?

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
H/K and Onkyo still best choices.

The Math Guy
Unregistered guest
ECost has a H/K AVR 225 for $180. Is it any better than the AVR-125?

Silver Member

Post Number: 585
Yes it is.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us