HK Avr130 vs Nad T742/741

Phils
Unregistered guest
I'm a ht newbie about to make my first receiver purchase. I have initially narrowed down my choices between the HK 130 and Nad 742 both of which cost the equivalent of around $360 here in the Philippines. I am leaning towards the 742 mainly due to various posts I've come across. However the Nad dealer offered me the 741 for about $100 less the difference being no DPLII and a few pounds lighter (based on specs from Nad) compared to the 742. The receiver will be used for 50/50 music/movies in a 15'x18' room with either PSB Image 1B or Monitor Audio B2 bookshelf speakers and no plans of going beyond a 5.1 setup.
I would appreciate any inputs from anyone especially those with actual experience comparing/auditioning these three receivers.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 537
I would forget the T741, it's old and not that good by current standards. The T742 and AVR130 are both nice, if you go with the T742 then get the PSB's, if with AVR130 then the Monitor Audios.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1221
The 741 is no slouch, however, as landroval said, it is already on its way to being obsolete, hence the emergence of the 742. But given a choice I will go with the 742 and get either PSB or MA. You have to audition both speakers extensively to make a good evaluation, after all you will be listening to them.
Ayos ba?

Anonymous

Phils

Both receivers are good.Last month I auditioned HK 230 and NAD T743. I own B&W 601 s3 and MA B2.Using both speakers mentioned, to my ears, the HK has a strong punch but the NAD is more detail, clean and with tight bass but not as strong as the HK. I got the NAD but you have to audition both of them maybe you will like HK better.

BTW Who are the dealers of NAD and HK in the Philippines? I used to live there before migrating to Canada ( sorry for my grammar, still learning good english)

Anonymous

My vote would be for NAD + Monitor Audio B1 and a subwoofer. I have the HK AVR225 (almost same as HK AVR230) now. I have auditioned the NAD and the Monitor Audio's. The MA B1's seemed so much more detailed than the B2's. The slight loss of bass with the smaller speaker can be offset with a sub. The NAD seems to have a smoother midrange than the HK which is slightly recessed. That causes the highs to be a little bit too pronounced. Good luck with your choices!

dong
Unregistered guest
Phils.
If you go for NAD, dont expect it to be very good in movies. Musicwise its a topnotch. I have T753 bought four months ago. I still have my old Yamaha RXV595(Dolby Digital only). To my ears this Yammie outperform the T753 in movie sound reproduction using same speakers(DM601, LCR60, DM303 and a diy sub). On the rain storm scene from the movie Basic, TALAGANG TATAYO ANG BALAHIBO MO SA SOBRANG GINAW with Yamaha, especially when its 70mm-movie mode is engaged. The gigantic waves from Perfect Storm really drowns me with Yamaha. I havent experience/feel all these things with my T753. However, when listening to music with CD or FM, the T753 is really awesome. I can still remember when I first unboxed it, connect two front speakers and cd player then play one of my favorite cd. I was really smiling. MY wifes comment "nindot lagi kaayo nag tingog"(we're Bisaya).

Im just giving you a point since youre a 50 movie/50 music fan, perhaps you cannot optimise both with only one unit.

ISIP ISIP!!!!!!

Phils
Unregistered guest
Thanks a lot for the replies especially those from my 'kabayans'. I appreciate landroval and Berny's vote for a more updated model in the 742 and by that I gather the $100 savings is not worth what you get with the 741 which IM(beginner's)O is basically a 742 w/o DPLII with its EARS functioning similarly.

Anon1, the Nad dealer here is Studio Systems which also owns Avid Surfer stores. HK distributor is Beyond Innovations and some of their dealers can be found at Quad and Shangrila Mall.

Dong, I may have mentioned 50/50 music/movies but I think I can compromise with a more musical setup that's why my leaning is towards Nad. I do hope my speaker choices will even out the balance somehow. Salamat bay!

I hope to do my auditioning soon and will certainly consider all points raised on this thread before finally deciding. Of course any additional thoughts or opinions would be most welcome. Cheers and thanks to all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us