Looking for a tube amp, $200 budget

Username: Coldy13

Post Number: 2
I'm looking to get a used, decent/good quality tube amp. I'm just getting into audio stuff, so I'm not really farmiliar with any brands. I've got a set of Acoustic Research bookshelf speakers and a kenwood 200watt(max) amp. The amp sucks, the sound is flat and lifeless. I can't use it on my fishers either, because it doesn't have anywhere near the amperage it needs to drive the 15" woofers. I'd like to get a tube amp with around 25wpc RMS. Should sound great with the AR speakers. I've only got $200 to spend, so used is really the only option. What brands/models should I be trying to look for?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
I don't know of a tube amp that you can buy for $200. A used Dynaco ST-70 will sell for around $300 and will usually need a little work or at least new tubes. Most of what is out there for less money than the Dynaco isn't worth what you will give for it. Look on the used audio web sites, you may find a great bargain.

Username: Coldy13

Post Number: 3
Hmmm, well then what would you reccomend for a good sounding solid state amp for under $200.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
I saw a Harman Kardon Citation 12 for sale not too long ago (sorry, don't remember where) for $149. It was the first solid state Citation amp and, like many companies that had excelled at tubes, it had a sound that was more tube like than solid state. I have owned one since 1973 and it is still running 24/7. If you want to wait and save a bit more for a Dynaco check out "Teaching an old dog ..." under the DVD-A section. Kegger just bought 2 ST-70's and has modded one of them.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Here's the link to that page:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/21154.html

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1355
matt rayner, try this link. jan is probably right
an st-70 is about as close as you might get unless your lucky with this site.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?ampstube&1&ctg&st1

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1356
i've been recently rebuilding several tube amps.
and about $500 gets you a pretty good unit with about 35 to 40wpc.

and to me theirs no compairison to a good sounding tube amp and solid state.
the tube amp is so much more pleasurable to listen to.
they bring out all the little details of the music that make it
more life like to me.

so if you can get into one for a good price i think you'll be very happy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us