Chossing a receiver for movies only

Bronze Member
Username: Argento

Post Number: 52
I have decided to replace my old receiver Yamaha RX-V595.

The idea is to use it as processor and amplifier for all the channels except the mains, since I will add in a future a pre/power for stereo (so I need preouts), then all I want is a great performance for movies (plus multichannel audio).
The available brands in my area are: Yamaha, Denon, HK, Pioneer (PE) and Marantz and my budget is sub $800.-

Thanks for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby29

Post Number: 41
For movies only I would go for Yamaha 1400 or Denon 2805. Both around $800.

Bronze Member
Username: Iceberg

Calgary, AB Canada

Post Number: 26
Denon would be also my first choice for movies.

lauro
Unregistered guest
I would choose Yamaha. Nothing beats Yamaha at the same price level as far as movie sound reproduction is concern. Take at least RXV1400.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 527
Try to hear panasonic SA-XR70.
It has digital amp section, and sounds smooth with a great bass.

Only $340 on the web.

Many audiophiles are replacing their expensive wetups with this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Thanks for the answers.

Does somebody know if big performance or quality differences exist between the series x50 and x400 of Yamaha?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 531
Yes, and it's quite notable. The V1400/V2400 are clearly better amps than the traditionally weak V650/V750.

I wouldn't say Yamaha or Denon are the best choices for even movie only use. The brigth and somewhat thin sound can be very annoying with action movies. This of course depends a lot on your speakers. What are they?

For best allround performance I would get the new Pioneer Elite 54TX. Great power to all channels, good features. H/K AVR430 or AVR630 could also be a good choice if you have bright and dry sounding speakers. For best performance for multichannel music and demanding movie use I would go for a Marantz. The others cant even come close to the warm but detailed sound of Marantz.

If your speakers are warm and laid-back then you should go with a Denon or Yam. AVR2805 is a nice have-all model as are the two Vx400 Yamahas.

As always you should listen all of them yourself with your own speakers and decide by what you hear with your own ears.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 606
There is no "best" receiver for any application. It all depends on the speakers. With my Monitors Yamaha and Denon are a bad combination and Marantz and PE are great. With Paradigm's as an example the opposite would be true. I had a pair of Paradigm Atoms in my kitchen and we all know they are incredible for their size and price but they just were not a good match with my PE 45 receiver so I bought a pair of Monitor B1's. Not better speakers but a better match. You can't think of one without the other or you will have a sonic mess on your hands.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
landroval

Thanks for the input. My speakers are Tannoys and they have a very detailed and transparent mid-range and a soft mid-high frecuencies (they don't go really high) and the low range is deep but some uncontrolled.

I really like the sound of my actual system with the movies, so my first choice is another Yam.

And up to where I can read in the reviews, the Yamaha continues being one of the best options for HT, but not for stereo music, for that reason it's that I plan to add the stereo equipment later.

But you say that Marantz is better than Yamaha and Denon for movies, I believe that Marantz has better power sources, but Yamaha and Denon has better processors, so that the deal...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 55
therealelitefan:

I agree with you about the speaker/amp combination, I think that's really care for music.

Do you think that is important for movies too?

Username: Izub

Post Number: 2
Well I demod all of those, and thought the dvd's I heard sounded the best on the Pioneer and I got the 54tx. I think they would all be pretty good choices though, as elitefan said, matching speakers will make a difference.

Silver Member

Post Number: 532
Alejandro, even if you like the sound of your Yamaha does not mean that there aren't better things available. Bring a SR7400 or 54TX for home audition and try out which you like the most.

Tannoys are quite in the middle in everything, so I think they'll work quite well with any of those amps.

Anonymous

Yammy's gonna come out with the x500 series, and you should get the 1500 for under 800, which means you if you shop around you can get the 2400 for ~800, or yeah the denon 2805 or PE 52TX

Silver Member

Post Number: 534
Anon, do you have any info on the V1500/V2500?

Bronze Member
Username: Wabkab

Post Number: 18
The Denon 2805 has the advantage over all the previously mentioned recievers except the Yam 2400 of a zone 2 video out and assignable rear surround speakers. This leaves you with a 5.1 for your main room. If that's not a big deal now, it may be if you consider that zone 2 in the future. If sound is your bag, I can only attest to a noticable improvement over my Marantz SR 7200. I use the receivers to pre-amp a B&K reference 5 channel amp pushing B&W CDM 7's and Center with Boston in walls for the back. Granted, this I think, speaks for the proccessing and set up calibration and doesn't critique the amp sections. I haven't tried the receiver amps alone(except to power zone 2), but the fit and finish, feel, features and sound in both audio and movies are a step up from my Marantz. It doesn't have all the digital proccessing modes of the Yamaha's, but it saved me 200 considering I needed the 2400 to do what I needed. I am not dissapointed and in fact am pleasantly surprised as I had previously kind of looked at Denon as Mid Fi at best. It's all that and more. My last 3 years with the Marantz were decent at best. This 2805 is way better sounding in my set-up, in all modes. Actually, the same company owns both Denon and Marantz now. Maybe good things to come for both. Good luck and have fun with listening and comparing. My two cents.
Tony B

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
As I said before, I agree about Denon and Yamaha don't have the best power sources, but as Tony B. my idea is to use an external amp at least for the mains, then what interests me is the processing capacity of the receiver.
I think that the Denon's Burr-Browns or the custom-made DAC of the Yamaha should make a difference with the rest in this issue.

Silver Member

Post Number: 539
Denon has Burr-Browns only in the 3805. I dont know if they make any difference or not.

Bronze Member
Username: Wabkab

Post Number: 19
I emailed Jim McGuinness @ Denon about the DAC's and he said despite early errant specs the 2805 has only been built with 24/192 dac's(some specs showed 24/96). He didn't elaborate on brand, but I've seen them listed as either Analog Devices or Burr-Browns. He said a new spec sheet will be added to the web site soon with all the lower models having 24/192 as well. As to sound differences, I don't know. Theoretically, the Burr-Browns are an upgrade. If the 3805 made my system sound better, it should be illegal! My front end now sounds significantly better than my old Counterpoint amp/pre-amp/Vandersteen 2Ce stereo(the good old days). You'll just have to make up your mind if the extra 300 would be worth it. I can't see you going wrong with either Denon as a pre/pro. If you have a dealer that'd let you try them out, including Yamaha, do it. I only don't mention the other fine brands because it sounds like the feature set and processing would be better suited to you in light of your using an amp. If not, I don't know. You'd have to consider the crew of Pioneer Elite, Marantz, H/K, Rotel, Arcam, and NAD. All including Denon have advantages/disadvantages. I guarantee the "thin" sound of Denon is history with a good amp. I'd be interested to hear about your adventures in listening, etc. Keep us posted.
Tony B posted as Anon from another pc
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us