Warranty/Authorized Dealers.

Anonymous

While researching for speakers and receivers I went on several manufacturers' WEB-SITES. They state that warranty will not be valid if vendor is not an "..authorized dealer..." Ironic, most of the authorized dealers that have web sites do not have the new models of receivers/speakers. The few who do are selling at MSRP.

I found web sales stores that have the latest models and claim to be "authorized dealers"-but most are not on the manufacturers "list" I cannot afford to buy a complex $800 item (A/V receiver)without a warranty. Any ideas?

Username: Heff

Post Number: 49
ideas? how about onecall? http://onecall.com

Username: Edison

Post Number: 129
As for me, I rather save and buy hoping nothing will go wrong. Even with warrantee, doesn't always work out, and mostly they are ok.

Anon
Unregistered guest
Second the onecall.com comment above - I think it is safer in the long run to use a warranted/auth dealer because there are issues from time to time, and I could not afford to throw away the money if it broke or pay for shipping back to an unauth dealer to fix (especially for a good receiver).

I just got a HK AVR325 from onecall for $430
incl shipping (MSRP $800). This is a heavy reciever with great power and surperb sound!!

Anonymous

Another option is to buy a warranty. Usually these warranties will pay for shipping back and forth or do in house service if you have a problem. A lot of manufactures make you pay for shipping if you have a problem. I just bought a avr430 and bought it from etronics with a three year outside warranty for less than I could have gotten it from one call with a two year manufacturers warranty.

Username: Heff

Post Number: 50
Another user, GT, had a problem with his HK AVR-320, while under the Manu. warranty, and HK decided to ship him a new HK 325 rather than fix his 320. Sweet! YMMV, but he's happy with the end result.

btw, last july, Onecall had a few HK AVR-325's new, for $413 delivered. A hot deal that sold out within hours since their price was lower than refurbs of the same model.

Saving money is always a good thing, and once in a while you'll find a reputable dealer offering a hot item at a discount price. Why not save money and have peace of mind too?

Anonymous

I believe that the consumer electronic industry is putting too much burden on the consumer. If the product is "genuine",serial number valid and proof of original purchase is satisfactory,the
manufacturer should honor the normal terms of their warranties. Place of purchase has no relevance to defective material or workmanship.

Were I shopping on the Canal Street or Fordham Raod areas of New York City, I should not be obligated to to return home, visit the manufacturers' web site to determine that the proposed vendor is an authorized dealer. What about the large number of consumers who do not have internet access?

That does not happen in the computer industry. My technician advise me of the name model and serial number of the computer; the part number of the defective item. That information is sent to the manufacturer by telephone or email. Within 15-48 hours we get the replacement part, most often long before the defective component is returned to the manufacturer. That experience applies to desktops and servers.

Maybe we need legal protection. Why is consumer electronics beneath the radar of consumer advocates and politicians?

Username: Afrogt

Post Number: 5
Yep, I got great customer service from HK on my 320. I got a fantastic deal on it in the first place. Authorized dealer, Fry's and it was $299, which was $250-$400 less than CC and any other dealer I found at the time. Small defect and HK offers me a brand new 325 as a replacement.

Based on the great customer service I got from HK, I will continue to recommend their products. Buying for an authorized dealer definitely has its advantages.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us