$1,000 Integrated Amp and Anthem Combo

Anonymous

I am upgrading from an NAD 7240PE. In the Cdn$1,500 to $2,000 price range, I am looking at:
Musical Fidelity A3.2
Rega Mira 3
and
Anthem TLP-1/PVA-2 pre and power amp

Any thoughts and experience with the above? I am satisfied with the NAD sound but would like to have higher resolution.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 98
Sounds like you want to upgrade to pre and power amps. Get a decent inter connects for them and keep them far apart to reduce interference.

I would buy used on www.audiogon.com - you get more quality, and people who buy upscale pieces usually take good care of them.

Are you handy with electronics? If you build them yourself, you save a lot. There are some kits that are good sounding like :

http://www.printedelectronics.com/discussion/discussion_reviews.html

You might want to hear this new digital receiver - panasonic sa-xr45 ($300 us dollar). It sounds smooth and clean wth great bass and warm sound - I am getting one and upgrading the power cable (good idea on any equipment).

I would search the web, and get advices from www.audiogon.com and www.audioasylum.com - there are many knowledgeable audiophiles there.

The source is important too in getting higher resolution - you might want to upgrade the Cd player first and see if that helps - an amp cannot give you more than what was fed in.

Some of the DVD players are sounding good these days - I am getting this economical Liteon Lvd 2001. Got good reviews.

Also if you like the NAD sound, NAD has this CD player c541i with burr brown DAC that's receiving good reviews. More detail than lower end NAD.

The cables help too - about 6% of the system's cost is about right. Buy them used on www.audiogon.com

You already have good components picked - try to hear many 'til you are comfortable with the choice. Many audiophiles regret their rash decisions and lose money - including myself.

You might have to upgrade everything to get a satisfying sound. Components should match in quality. Your system sounds as good as the weakest link.

But don't get caught up in constant upgrade like many audiophiles - figure out what you really like, and enjoy the music at least for a few years b4 upgrading again.

In the end, go with what sounds best to you - you must be happy with it.

Anonymous

Thanks for reply.

Since the premature demise of my NAD 502, I have been using DVD players with MSB DAC Link. Highly recommended.

Post Number: 132
Might want to hear krell kav-300il integrated.
Sounds pleasantly transparent and liquid. Dynamic as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3068620380

Anonymous

Hi James,

Thanks for replying. The case is now closed. Musical Fidelity A3.2 it is. So far so good:
More detailed than the NAD as expected;
Vast yet precise sound stage, pleasant surprise.

Post Number: 164
If you don't mined used, you can save by getting this :

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstran&1076187010
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us