Bose Acoustimass - new center channel?

Username: Cgsauer

Post Number: 2
I currently have the bose acoustimass 10 system with an infinity subwoofer. I am looking to upgrade my receiver (haven't decided onkyo, denon, other yet) but wanted to get at least 6.1. I've heard teh bose center channel is not voice matched, will it sound bad? Anybody have any experience with this. Also, anybody know any receivers that match well with bose (700 or less price range).

Thanks

Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 3
I am not a big fan of BOSE but your best bet is to buy the BOSE Acoustimass 3 set. They go for about $100-$150 on ebay. These would be great with a 7.1 receiver. I say go listen to the Yamaha 1400 with BOSE and see if they sound good together to you.

Hope that helped.

WMD

Username: Project6

Post Number: 33
Cary,
i have a bose vcs center channel speaker to use with an acoustimass 10 and frankly I am very unhappy with it. Great for games, hence, it is in the game room for the kids...it sounds very weak and displaced when used for movies.
UNICRON is right, buy a single acoustimass speaker, if you are going 6.1
i would love to sell you mine but my kids love that surround sound when playing with their video games.
cheers

Post Number: 4
Thanks, I guess I would have to buy a whole system since as far as I know you can't hook up a single cube to a receiver, it has to go through the module right? I guess it might be best to buy a 2 speaker system with another module and buy a receiver that is 7.1. Is this correct? I'd love to upgrade to paradigm speakers but it isn't in the budget right now.

Any other ideas about a center channel or receiver? Thanks

Post Number: 35
yes, you can actually hook up a single cube to a receiver. The module serves as a crossover point for the rest of the system. If you are just using it for rear surround you will be fine
cheers

Post Number: 5
So if I want 7.1 can I just get 2 more cubes and no module? What exactly does the module do anyway, I"m still not exactly sure. I have another sub so it isn't really helping that way. Thanks

Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 4
Cary, you NEED that bass module. Your SS speakers need to be fullrange in a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 setup. Also, from what I know, the crossover for the cubes is in the bass module.

If you really want to keep the BOSE and you want BOSE for the rear speakers. I say get the BOSE Acoustimass 3s.

You can also thing about putting the 2 ss speakers you already have in the back of the room and add 2 dipole speakers for the sides.

Post Number: 37
Cary,
for 7.1 you CAN just get 2 more cubes and no module. Personally I would buy another brand of rear speakers, but if it is not your cup o' tea, then Bose it is. You were thinking of upgrading in the future aren't you?
As unicron stated, the bass module contains nothing more than five inch paper cones they blatantly call subwoofers, which they are not, and a rudimentary crossover network, useless at best.
Anyway, a direct hook up is not going to kill the units, and if they did, it is just another proof that the units are not what they are cracked up to be, just remember on the set up menu to set the rear speakers to "small"
cheers

Post Number: 8
Thanks Berny and Unicron for the information.

I agree that the bose isn't the best, but you can't beat the size and they still sound good. I don't use the module for bass, I have another subwoofer that does that so I don't care if if the module just has paper woofers.

What exactly does a crossover network do.

I'm thinking of sticking with the Bose speakers now, forget about 7.1 for now and when I'm ready to upgrade to some different speakers then go to 7.1.

Post Number: 41
you are welcome Cary...to answer your question, a crossover network is a unit that filters out the different frequencies and separates them into, as it were, high, medium and low and sends them to the different type of speakers designed to handle these frequencies. So the bass module handles all the lower part of the spectrum and the crossover unit sends out the higher frequencies to the satellite speakers.
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us