Athena Point 5 Speakers

Eric Chyo
Just purchased these speakers. Anyone else have these? What has your experience been? I'm awaiting my receiver to ship to hook up to these speakers.

Anonymous
From what I have heard, those speakers should be very good.

I just bought the athena point 5 speakers from onecall.com. They should arrive this week.

The receiver I am using is kenwood vr6070.
Let's discuss more after I got them setup.

Anonymous
I got the system for a little over $300 US. hehe. what a deal. Can anyone beat that?

Anonymous
>I got the system for a little over $300 US. >hehe. what a deal. Can anyone beat that?

Can you share with us where you got the deal?

Anonymous
I have only been able to get the point 5 system for $550. Anyone who has done better than that, please tell us where.

Abs
I'm thinking of building the same system Kenwood 6070 and Athena Point 5 speakers for about $800 US. Any suggestions in that price range.

I bought a set of these for $600cdn at FS and I hear a constant hum comming from the sub... anyone else? I got it replaced already but the same is happening with the new one. We tried it at the store to confirm and sure enough it does the same. This happens with or without a good cable connected to it. I'd really appreciate any feed back. Thanks!
Dan

Eric Chyo
I have the Athena Point 5 system hooked up to a Kenwood VR-6070 receiver. I am quite satisfied with the combo. Great sound, spatial depth and clarity. I haven't had any problem with subwoofer hum Dan.

Derek
I have the system connected to a Denon 1803. I paid $250 because it was on a return table at Bransmart. I had just read about it in Sound & Vision and could not believe my luck. They were missing the wall brackets though. I do not get any hum.

JT
I was thinking on purchasing the Point 5 system in a few weeks for my finished basement, However, I don't know if it will be powerful enough. The 75w sub scares me. I will be hooking it up the the Kenwood VR-6070. Does anyone else have this system in a larger or similar type room. Also, does anyone know if you can upgrade your sub to the 100w with the Point 5? any input would be helpful.

Thanks,
JT

Eric Chyo
My Point 5's can play pretty loud through my Kenwood VR-6070 receiver, but I have them in a fairly small room. You can mix and match any Athena speakers including the subwoofer since they are all timbre matched. I use the AS-C1 from the Audition Series as my center channel with my Point 5 system and use the Point 5's C.1 center speaker for my rear surround to have 6.1 channels. Sounds great! I think it would sound even better if I had a larger room.

Eric

Bruce L.
I have 2 impedance selector on my Yamaha HTR-5550:

1) 8-ohms MIN. for all

2) 4-ohms MIN. for front, 6-ohms MIN. for rear,
6-ohms MIN. for center.

Which one should I choose for my Athena Point 5 and why?

Derek
Number 2). I have this set and DC RE is 6.3 ohms.

Bruce
Sorry for being a newbie. What is DC RE? Also, can you explain more in details as I would like to learn. Thanks.

Derek
DC RE is the impedence resistance (RE) at 0Hz (DC). I simply connected a multimeter across the the speaker terminals and measured the impedence. This number usually is slightly lower than the speakers minimum impedence in the audio band. It's a good way to quickly measure minimum speaker impedence.

Most speakers have an impedence that varies with frequency. Usually the woofers resonace, the cross-over frequency and piezo tweaters will cause spikes in this curve (as high as 100 ohms). That's no problem - high impedence requires less current from the amp and is an easy load to drive (at the expense of efficiency and some distortion). But at low impedence the extra current required will cause the amp to heat up and may trip protection circuitry. I had a Proton 907 receiver with the same switch. The 4 ohm setting didn't sound any better to me but the receiver ran cooler.

Hope this helps.

New Subs and cheap price-
The system reviews I have read had the Athena with a .5 sub, but there website now reccommends a different, front firing sub, the 300. Has any one heard this new setup.
I have also been unable to find these speakers for less than $700, if any one knows cheaper places to buy it online, please let me know! Thanks

Anonymous
Futureshop in Canada is selling the Point 5 setup with the P5 sub for $599 Cdn, or roughly $430 US. Check out www.futureshop.ca
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us