PSB/KEF with NADC320BEE or Camb. Audio Azur

Username: Rob10

Post Number: 2
I would like to put together a music only system and have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Cambridge Audio Azur 640A int. amp/Cambridge Audio Azur 640C cd player

NAD C320BEE int. amp/NAD C521BEE CD player

I have been giving the following speaker options and would like to know which combinations will mate well with the above noted products:

KEF Q5
PSB Image 5T
JMlabs 716S

A dealer is closing out the PSB's at very attractive prices and has only 1 pair left.

The products are at different dealers so I am unable to conduct any head-to-head testing.

No local dealers have any stock on the Cambridge Audio gear so I will be unable to listen to the combination until sometime in the future.

I am wondering if I should purchase the PSB's now in hopes that they will mate well with the CA gear.

Also, I have not heard much about the NAD C521BEE cd player and was wondering if the NAD C541i would be a better choice.

Thanks in advance.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 45
You chose good pieces - looks like you've done your homework. I always am happy with my purchases this way.

You can get the NAD 541 for the price of 521 msrp here : http://www.saturdayaudio.com/index-old.html

You can get the c320bee refurb for $279 here (way on the buttom of the page):

http://www.yawaonline.com

I will grab the PSB if it's a good deal - they are stereophile recommended budget component. The combination with NAD should be good.

You might want to check used gears to get better quality at www.audiogon.com

Username: Rob10

Post Number: 3
James,

Thanks for your post.

Being from Canada, the online bargains aren't that great of a deal when all of the shipping, duties, etc. are factored in. I would also be concerned with the possibility of potential warranty service.

As such, I would prefer to purchase the products from a local dealer.

In my original post I should also have added that the equipment will be used in a living room/dining room of approx. 14'x29'.

My preferences in music are hard rock, classic rock, jazz and fusion and I don't listen to them at ear-splitting levels.

I have also been putting together a HT only system: NAD T753, Energy C-6 (mains), AC-300 (CC) and C-2 (surrounds). All that is missing is a subwoofer.

The dealer who is closing out on the PSB's also has 1 Subsonic 5i available, but no 6i. In order to obtain the 6i, I would have to go to antoher retailer who won't be offering the same deep discounts as they are not "closing out" the PSB stock.

Is the difference between the two big enough to warrant an approx. $225Cdn diff. in price?

My first choice was a HSU VTF-2, but as mentioned above, when all the "additional" costs with importing the product to Canada are factored in, it seems to be quite a bit more expensive then the PSB 5i and even the 6i.

Unregistered guest
Strangely enough ur choice is almost identical to what i decided a couple of weeks ago. I finally narrowed it down to the 320BEE, 542 and KEF Q5s. I had the NAD hooked upto both the PSBs and KEFs.

The KEFs sounded a bit better rounded in their sound and were more at home with a variety of music. The PSBs were good but slightly excessive on the treble in my opinion.

the 521BEE is good but i felt the C542 is a better bet than the C521BEE - i found the price difference not enough too justify going for the lower priced BEE.

The Cambridge Audio combo was also good but in the end the NAD won out for me. I would however recommend that u listen to both CA and NAD for a while before deciding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us