Yamaha 1400 or H/K325 with Polk Audio RM-6700

Username: 4wheelrider

Post Number: 1
I am new to Home Theater. I just purchased a set of Polk RM-6700 because I was going to purchase a Onkyo tx-sr601. When I decided to study more on the receiver I found an article in Home Theater Dec. 2003 and it came in last place behind Pioneer and Yamaha. Now I am considering the Yamaha rx-v1400 and the H/K AVR325. I think I like the Yamaha better. However, from some threads I have read here they say the Yamaha with the Polk would be too bright. What does bright and warm mean? Would I be really unhappy with the Yamaha sound?
Thanks

Username: Hteaterjunkie

Post Number: 3
Without question, I would say go for the HK. They match better with the Polks IMO and they offer a better power supply. The Onkyo is not a bad product either but I believe the HK to be a superior product.

Just my two cents.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 62
The H/K is a much better match with Polk than Yamaha. The Yamaha is too bright as you have heard meaning it's prone to vocal sibilance and over emphasis on higher frequency histronics than a smoother,warmer unit like the H/K. As the above poster correctly stated the H/K has a far better power supply than Yamaha. For your Polks go with the H/K. You will be much happier with it's sound in the long run.

Username: Unicronwmd

Post Number: 2
Ron Wood, get the Jan/2004 issue of Home Theater mag. They tested the Yamaha RX-V2400 which is pretty much the same receiver as the 1400. They called the receiver warm and said it was not the same bright receiver they were used to from Yamaha. I have read a few other reviews saying the same thing. I have also listened to the Yamaha next to the HK and I found the HK to be brighter. I say go listen for your self.

Anyways, good luck man!!!

WMD

Username: Heff

Post Number: 43
Will you be unhappy? What sounds good to you? It's good experience to listen to different speaker/receiver combos. Is there a local shop that carries Yamaha and/or H/K?

Bring your own source material. Have some fun!

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 71
Home Theater did not call the Yamaha 2400 "warm". The review said it had the typical Yamaha sound. That's not warm. Look at the 5 channel power ratings in this article, pretty bad. Buy it if you like it and you have speakers it matches with but it is in no way as warm as a H/K.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us