Maggies mg1.2 w/ rotel 1055?

Username: Jordie

Post Number: 11
I kinda like the looks of this receiver over nad t732...now..I know in music is all about sound not looks..but..it there a big difference in sound between these 2 receivers?
thanks guys!

Post Number: 12
or..what if I go for Outlaw preamp/amp..for mg 12?
I wanna build me a kick a** system:-)
cheers!!

Post Number: 13
or rotel 1065?:-)
I 've heard that's a "killer"

Post Number: 15
anyone??

Username: Edison

Post Number: 47
You chose all the good components - as you said, I would go with good sound, opposed to looks - looks are superficial and wear out in joy, but sound will be there to please for a decade.

NADs and outlaws both do a decent job. I am buying this new digital receiver from panasonic sa-xr45 - only $300 and audiophiles are raving about it.

If you want NAD, this is the place to get it:
https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

You can read reviews about the outlaws on www.outlawaudio.com

I personally am sticking to 2 channels - do we really need 6 speakers? For me, in audio, it's more quality than quantity. I love my 2 channel system - even watching movies - sounds like I am at a theatre. Most surround sound receivers don't do music so well.

If you really want to build a gooood system, I would stick to 2 channels, and buy them used on www.audiogon.com Stereo is tested technology that has been improving for half a century - not like the new surround technology which adds distortion.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 46
adrian:

Congrats on the Maggies. I love the Maggies--best speaker in the world to my ears.

Either the NAD or the Rotel would do just fine with your Maggies. Your biggest concern is that the Maggies are almost a pure 4 ohm resistive load (at some frequencies I am told the impedence drops to as low as 3.6 ohms), so very few receivers can handle them successfully--certainly not a $300 Panasonic IC driven receiver! Both the NAD and the Rotel are built to handle 4 ohm loads and are very capable of handling Maggies.

Now, to my ears the Rotel and the NAD sound very different. Neither is better than the other--it is just that the sound is different and it is a matter of your personal preference.

I find the NAD to be warmer and fuller sounding than the Rotel. Conversely, the Rotel is leaner and a bit cooler sounding, but just as realistic. When I compared the two, I found the difference to be very apparent, but I also found both receiver's to be very pleasing to listen to. Both imaged very well and they both had a lot of depth and air, giving a very convincing sound. It really comes down to which sound do you prefer as they are both equally realistic, just different. Therefore, you should listen to both as see which one you like best.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Anonymous

I like the NAD T763 EARS listening modes with 5 speakers, listening to stereo CD's. I like the EARS mode better than the NEO6 and DPLII music modes. Stereo mode is great to listen to the way it was intended, but I like still like to get all 5 speakers and the sub going.

Post Number: 66
Didn't see the subject with maggies - you might want to get a sub for them to warm the sound on them.

They are power hungry so the outlaws would sound the best.

You should keep the digital amps in mind - they will take over the industry in the future. I bought mine and simply love it - so quite and smooth... with great bass. Perhaps not with maggies, but audiophiles are pairing them with the likes of top B&Ws.

Speaker placement is crucial with the Maggies - get them right so you will be in the sweet spot.

You might want to warm them up with a good sub. They don't go down that low. Will add luxury to the sound. Hsu and monitor audio make nice ones.

A system this level benefits from good cables. 5-7% on the cables should be about right.

Choose a nice source - perhaps the most important piece (Europian thinking). www.ecost.com sometimes has an upscale Denon DVD player like DVM-3800 or 4800 for a good deal.

Post Number: 86
Adrian,

Check this out :

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/messages/34905.html

Sa-xr45 is a souped up version for $100 more. I heard it and I love the clean and amooth sound. You ask a 10 different audio lovers and you will get 10 different answers since our choice of music if different + matter of taste. For me, I am going with this new digital technology.

You can hear it in Betsbuy if yo live near one. Read what audio lovers are saying about it (on the very butotm):

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=4991&postdays=0&postorder=asc &highlight=saxr45&start=140&sid=6a3dbff00a3716e46e1d85050721e1d3

You can get it here:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/handr-deals/30044.html

You will probably like it if you heard it.

Happy hunting,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us