B&W versus Def Tech. Help please

Anonymous

HAWK and anyone else that would like to help:
I am in a dilema (sp?). I changed my DVD/CD player from the Marantz DV4300 to the DV6400. That is a done deal. I have the Marantz SR7400. That too is a done deal. I have Def. Tech. BP2/X surrounds - again, done deal (but could be changed). Question is:
Do I stay with original idea of Def. Tech. PM (power monitor) 700's (fronts) with the built in 250 watt subs and the Def. Tech. 2300 (center) (again with built in sub) OR go with the new B&W 705's and the new B&W center channel (HTM 7)?? I am not sure what to do and was looking for input. I was hoping someone would say: "what, are you nuts.... you need to go with ....." or "Those Def. Tech.'s are crap and the B&W's are so worth the extra $$$".....HELP

Username: Rick_b

Post Number: 1
Anon,
Both B&W and Def/Tech are world class products. What is your passion? Home Theater or Music? The B&W would be more refined musically, while Def?Tech built it's reputation on killer HT systems. You cant go wrong either way. Happy listening.....

Anonymous

I am about 50/50 music/movie mix. I was always under the impression that if you did music well, HT will follow but if you do HT well, the inverse may not always be true.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 54
Ok, since you were hoping I will say it. Are you nuts! Really stick with the Def Tech's. They are great speakers and a very good match with the Marantz. I see no reason at all to change to the B&W's. If you had a brighter receiver I could see maybe changing but not with what you have now. The Def Tech's are killer home theater speakers and very good on music.By the way, how do you like the 7400?

Post Number: 2
Anon,
Ditto on therealelitefan. I was just trying to be a bit more diplomatic. Marantz and Def/Tec will always be a good match.

ps-therealelitefan, thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous

Time to make things even more interesting. Just got off the phone and the store is willing to give me the B&W's for the same price as the Def Techs......and the plot thickens.... (the reason why I am getting them for the same price is because of the hassles I went through in a prior transaction) - savings are pretty significant.

Post Number: 3
Anon,
If I were a betting man I would say you were leaning towards the B&W's. So why dont you think about find a power amp in the 125 to 150 watt range-it could even be a 3 channel for now-use the Marantz as a pre/pro and amp for rear channels. Look at something in the Parasound line. I think that would make the B&W's bark and you could be on your way to upgrading to seperates
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us