I just bought a NAD T762, and it already has problems!

Username: Strube

Post Number: 1
Upon reccomendations from many on this board, I purchased a NAD T762 (with a firmware v. 1.20) from Ovation Audio in Ft. Collins, Colorado to go with the Paradigm On-Wall Monitor 5 system I have on order. I have it hooked up to a pair of Paradigm Titans on loan until I get the new speakers. I am playing CD's through optical output on my old Sony cd changer that has always worked great, and few issues have already come up with the NAD.

First of all, the OSD doesn't work half the time and when it does, it sure does not work properly. Besides connecting to my computer via RS-232 port, I have no way to properly set up the reciever without this important feature.

It cuts off the beginning of many of my songs. This doesn't bother me too much, but it will probably annoy me more as time goes on.

It has lost sync in the middle of a couple songs, creating an irritating period of silence right in the middle of the song.

I am sure after reading other posts that I am not the only one with these problems. Does anyone know if these things have been corrected with the T763? I may have to take this back and pay the extra for the new model, just so I can have working features. If not, I will have to pay much more for the Rotel RSX-1065, and I am probably not prepared for such things.

I do not see much sense in paying $949 for anything ($1012 after tax) if everything does not work properly. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can or should do?

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 24
Strube,

That is the older firmware version. I didn't know there were any more of those still out there. Go back to your dealer and ask them to put in the newer version. It might take a week or two to get this done, but that is better than paying more to get a new unit. If this doesn't work, stay on your dealer, or go to NAD directly. There was another person on another thread that was also having problems with a T762, and NAD was willing to take that back and give them a brand new T763 instead.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 25
BTW, the skipping of the first millisecond of songs is a problem that has been reported to be common in many different brands, not just NAD. It happens as the receiver is trying to recognize what signal it is being sent (either analog or digital). One possible way to get around this is to use the analog output of your CD player instead of the optical.

Username: Stone

Thank God I wasn't suckered by that good sound and buy an NAD. Sounds like your going down a frustrating road many have traveled before you. When spending that much money, you should never have to "stay on a dealer" to get an upgraded model. Take it back, lesson learned.

You probably already know this, but Rotel also makes a RSX 1055 7x75 which sounds awesome and is about the same price as the NAD 763. A great British maker.

Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 24
It's true, my T752 will skip the first milli-sec when connected digitally but I prefer the analog connections and with the analog you miss nothing... It is definitely the NAD causing this for I have a Yamaha CD player and JVC DVD connected and both skip the first second of CD tracks when connected digitally... I wonder if the T753 does this??

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 32
Not to burst your bubble, Jer B., but Rotel has not been a British make for many years. They are owned by the Chinese and all of their equipment is made in China, as well (also true for several other famous British brands such as KEF). Very good stuff, though. However, I have no chance of getting Rotel products at a discount but fortunately, there are a half a dozen or so NAD dealers that will discount through mail order. I expect the T763 to go for about $1K, +/-$100, which is quite a bit less than the $1500 my local Rotel dealer wants for an RSX 1055 (he will not deal). I would also note that while the Rotel has pre-outs to acheive 7.1 sound, it only has 5 internal amplifiers, so it is really only a 5.1 receiver (just 7.1 capable).

I find the timbre balance of the Rotel is much lighter than the NAD--almost sounds bass shy when you first hear it, but Rotel is known for having a leaner, cooler sound than NAD. That is the way Rotel likes it and many people prefer it. They engineer it to sound that way and it is neither better nor worse than the NAD sound--just a matter of personal preference. Sounds like you are in that camp. It does have an instant clarity that is to be envied, unlike most mass market receivers and Rotel also builds their own custom power transformers, so they will deliver a real 75 wpc, unlike the usual mass market garbage. All in all, a very fine receiver if you like its sound. Definitely needs to be paired with a warm speaker, with good low end extension. If you have one, my hat is off to you because it is a very fine receiver.

As for skipping the first second or two when switching from a DVD to a CD (and using the digital optical connection), I found out my Denon does it too. I wasn't aware of it until I tried out an opitcal cable (replacing my old analog cables), so I do not believe this is anything unusual. I cured it by going back to analog cables as suggested by Paul T. Hardly worth returning the receiver when is is so easily cured.

I also agree with Johnny--your dealer should have checked the firmware. Must be a simple oversight, but NAD has had a fix out for some time that is a simple "plug-in" of a new chip. The fix takes about 10 minutes if they know what they are doing. Not a big deal. Furthermore, the NAD will sound absolutely awesome with the Paradigm speakers. Hang in there, Strube!

Username: Newbie

The rotel 1055 retails for $1300 and since they are going to be replaced very soon (jan) you should be able to get a good deal on it. Probably around 1100.

Username: Hawk

Post Number: 44
Paul:

You must have a much more reasonable Rotel dealer in your area than I do. I would love to find a 1055 for $1100! If you are correct that the retail is $1300 (and I am not doubting you), then my local dealer is more unreasonable than I thought. He quoted me $1499, with a very straight face.

Post Number: 3
No bubble burst. I did not mean to lead anyone on that the products are assembled in Britain. As far as I know, their Headquarters and R&D are still located in England, and the products are assembled in China. Nothing is outsourced, the China factory is Rotel owned. As you have commented, they are of very high quality. They may have 5 amps, but I doubt a lack of power would ever be an issue.

Username: Gman

Post Number: 38
Some of these Chinese electronics factories are the best in the world. Many world class amps, receivers, and other components are put together in China.

Some of these Chinese companies are goingto try and market their products directly.

Who knows, you may see your NAD, Rotel, B&K, or whatever equivalent with a Chinese name soon. Not bad, as long as it comes with dim sum, hot and sour soup, and Peking Duck!!

Username: Audio_economist

Post Number: 3
Gentlemen:

For your information, Rotel is owned by a Japanese family, not a corporation or a holding company. I am very sure about this.

Post Number: 4
"For your information, Rotel is owned by a Japanese family, not a corporation or a holding company. I am very sure about this."
----
After looking into it, I stand corrected and believe you are right, they are a Japanese company with R&D done in both England and Japan. I never knew that. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us