Is 5.0 possible?

rack04
Unregistered guest
Is it possible to setup a 5 speaker system (front mains, center channel, and rear bookshelves) because I live in an apartment and I don't think that my neighbors would appreciate a powered sub? I will soon be getting a H/K AVR 230 so I just want to make sure that it is possible to setup a receiver for a balenced 5 speaker setup. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 338
Rack04: yes that's possible. I actually ran a 5.1 configuration in my apartment -- while my house was being built -- but I left the subwoofer turned OFF!

I was afraid of what the neighbors would think. Once in a while -- during respectable hours -- I'd turn on the subwoofer. Primarily, though, the subwoofer was always off.

rack04
Unregistered guest
geekboy: Any tips for running rear channel speaker wire in an apartment w/o ripping up the carpet?

How hard is it to use the receiver setup the surround sound?

Silver Member

Post Number: 342
Rack04: I answered this and the response got swallowed!

I ran 16ga speaker wire to the rears. I ran the all wire in the same direction. I used one of those wire covers (http://cableorganizer.com/cord-covers/) -- I bought mine from Radio Shack -- to cover the part which crossed the walking path.

I then ran the wires under the love seat and then connected first wire to first rear speaker. I think ran the other wire under/bedhind couch and to the other surround speaker.

Bronze Member
Username: Stone

West CoastUSA

Post Number: 81
I have a AVR230 with a 5.0 setup due to apartment living. the HK is very flexible that way. You just set it up without a sub then set the speakers to large and the bass sounds that would go to the sub is fed through the front mains and center if you wish. It sounds great.

rack04
Unregistered guest
Is there a setting in the EzSet that will allow for automatic calibration for 5.0?

Silver Member

Post Number: 365
rack04: when you setup your system and indicate to the H/K that you only have 5 speakers (not the subwoofer), you can still use EzSet. EzSet will only setup the speakers which exist.

When there's no subwoofer, the bass and LFE information will go to your front right/left speaker pair.

rack04
Unregistered guest
What are the differences in the small versus large settings?

666_Gonzo_666
Unregistered guest
rack04:

What speaker setup is for, is so that you dont send lower frequencies to small speakers, and it routes them to a powered(or passive in some cases) subwoofer.

This also increases your dynamic range and lets for higher volumes with less distorsion. Im guessing that you have average sized speakers, so set the subwoofer to off, the mains to large and LFE turned down a bit(for the neigbors)

Hope This Helps!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us