Cons of video through receiver?

rack04
Unregistered guest
Is there any noticeable video degradation when running video through a receiver (i.e. H/K AVR 230) rather than straight to the TV?

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 596
There should not be and has not been on any of the receivers I have owned. If you want to use your receivers on screen menu you don't have a choice anyway.

rack04
Unregistered guest
Does the H/K AVR 230 have an on-screen menu? Is this a menu that apears on the tv screen to help guide in the setup?

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 339
rack04: the AVR-230 has "On Screen Display". This will help you to setup the system.

As The REAL EliteFan has written... I also haven't had any adverse affects of the receiver on my video. I run component as well as composite and s-video through my H/K AVR-525 wihtout issue. The thing to watch for with the HDTV/component video is the bandwidth of the receiver. If your receiver has less than 50MHz bandwidth, some HDTV formats will suffer (but mostly just the 780p stuff). Generally, 30MHz is fine for most HDTV application (480i, 480p, 780i, 1080i).

Bronze Member
Username: Rlschneck

Post Number: 27
very interesting...

how much bandwidth does the H/K AVR330 have??
anyone know?

Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 340
Schneck: it's 30MHz. You can find all these features and the manual at http://www.harmankardon.com.

HDTV Bandwidth Requirements
Regular TV (NTSC): 4.2MHz
DVD: 7MHz
480p: 13.5MHz
DVD (Progressive): 13.5MHz
1080i: 22MHz minimal (37MHz optimal)
720p: 37MHz

I have the AVR-525 which has 50MHz component video switching, so it covers all the necessary bandwidth. Some A/V receivers (Elite's I know for sure) have 100MHz bandwidth. I guess that's for "future" needs. :-) While there are some 720p broadcasts, most of the cable converter boxes (mine included) convert it to 1080i anyhow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
this is very good to know!

i plan on getting Samsung's DLP television (which is 720p), and i am also planning on picking up a H/K AVR330 later today. does this present a problem?? i'm not sure it matters, because if i hook up the dvd player's video directly to the tv, and the audio to the receiver, then i should be alright, right??

and as far as cable... what if i hook up the cable to the tv then have the sound be taken from the tv to the receiver through the composite audio-out?? right, that should avoid any problems??

Thanks for your advice!
-Ryan

Silver Member

Post Number: 343
Ryan: purists always say don't run your video through your receiver (using your receiver as a video switch) for the higher resolution stuff. Of course, this requires coordination between the receiver and the TV (i.e. select CABLE on TV, then CABLE on Receiver, separately).

This will of course work. If you truly have 720p broadcasts from your Digital Cable box and/or DVD player, you may have no choice but to connect directly. If you really want video switching in your receiver, you can move up to the H/K AVR-430 which has 50MHz component switching bandwidth. The receivers are about $200 (USD) different in price (note: I priced these on OneCall.COM at $699 and $899 for the AVR-330 and AVR-430 respectively).

As a side note, another consideration is how you will connect your DVD player and Digital Cable box to the TV (or receiver). Whether you use the DVI or HDMI as opposed to the component connections will make a difference. The H/Ks have neither DVI nor HDMI connections.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
True, I am glad you brought these issues to my attention, before i went and made my purchase. I know what DVI is and that is what i hope to use to connect DVD player to TV (DVI is the latest and best, is it not?) But, I'm afraid i've never heard of this HDMI before. Could you please tell me what that is?

Thank you, geekboy, you've been most helpful!

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
Ryan: sure. HDMI is the High Definition Multi-Media Interface. It differs from DVI in that HDMI provides both video and audio! DVI (Ditial Visual Iterface) only carries video signals. HDMI is the direction which the industry is moving. The reason for this is that the HDMI interface can employ some encryption techniques (HDCP - High Definition Copy Protection, I think), on both the Video AND Audio!

HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI... so... there you go. (This is oversimplified, you would need a pin converter (since the connectors are different) and some of the HDMI devices require the DVI device to support HDCP.) <=== information purposes only!

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
Err: HDCP = High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Ahh, I see. I suppose that's more of a DVD player <--> TV compatability issue than a receiver issue. Thank you for explaining that to me! I think the only video component that I will run through the receiver will be the s-video that comes from my computer. should that be a probelm (I have a nvidia gforce graphics card)?? if you don't know it's no big deal, i'm not too concerned about the computer hook up.

Thanks for your help,
Ryan

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
Schneck: if your NVidia card has an s-video output, that's fine. Why do you want to connect your computer to your system? Just asking, because I have a laptop in my home theater which is connected directly (and only) to my projector. That way I can switch to it without dealing with the switching in the H/K receiver... i.e. I can still listen to music, or whatever.

Username: Izub

Post Number: 1
http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutorials/HDCP_DVI.asp

This will tell you all you need to know
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us