Problem w/ Kenwood VR-2080

Username: Schleppy

Post Number: 1
I have had a Kenwood VR-2080 for a few years now. Last night while watching DVD the receiver cutoff and there was a pop heard from the speakers. Now the when the power button is pushed the receiver clicks, but does not turn on and the standby light blinks. Nothing shows on the display. I have never had a problem but recently hooked the receiver up to a new setup. I have 2 Polk in wall speakers for the surrounds and 3 JBL MR series for the fronts/center. I'm running 16 awg Monster Cable for the speaker wire. In researching the problem I have noticed the speakers are all 8 ohm and as far as I can tell the receiver is rated at 6 ohm. Would this cause a problem?? I have unplugged and and re-plugged the speaker wires as the manual suggests with no help. I have read about the possibility of a short in the speaker wire. I'm unfamiliar with how that works. If the wires were touching and they shorted can those wires still be used? Also, wouldn't that be a temporary problem and once corrected the receiver would go back to normal operation. The receiver is rated at 100 watt but at 6 ohm, the speakers are rated 100 watt @ 8ohm. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1292
there is no problem with running 8ohm speakers.

it's only a problem when you go the other way, lower!

if you have/had a short in the speaker wire. the
reciever mat blown an internal fuse.

the system would need to be taken down take the cover off and find the fuse.

Username: Schleppy

Post Number: 2
I pulled out all of the fuses, I found five. They all showed a reading on a meter so they appear to be fine. Looks like I have to bite the bullet and take it in for diagnosis-$34.75 from a local electronics store. The only other thing I'm not sure of is. The front R/L speakers and the center speaker are rated 80 W @ 8 ohm while the receiver is rated 5 x 100W @ 6 ohm. Would the wattage difference cause a problem?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us