Unregistered guest
Greetings,

if given a choice among these CD players:

- Marantz CD7300;
- Vincent CD-S2;
- Cambridge Audio Azur 640C;
- NAD C542;
- other in that price class;

which one would in your oppinion have the best transport mechanism?

So issue here is purely mechanical reliability and/or endurability, and not sonic performance.

I'm looking for a CD player in that price class, and my primary concern is the best attainable build quality for that kind of money. Is it posible to buy a CD player in that price class, which would be built in a way that would anable it to still be mechanicaly, as well as electricaly operational after say, 20-30 years?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Cheers.

Anonymous

Due to the very nature of a CD player. I doubt it. If it was purely solid state electronics then I would say yes. But a CD has moving parts. Moving parts wear out. In this price bracket top quality components are not being used. I would also imagine they would come with only a years warranty (not a good sign) I'd say five years tops on all of the above players. The other thing you have to look at is what is the point in making a CD Player last for 20+ years. The consumer market moves to fast. I would say people like you are in the minority. i.e. wanting to keep a CD player for a long time.
You may get better results looking to smaller companies who take sony and philips mechansims and build them into there own systems. These are usually partially hand built and far better designed. The designs tend to stay fairly static for several years as well.

ezz
Unregistered guest
Hi Stanko,dont know about the above players,but i own a Marantz 52mk2se cd player.It's 11 years old,gets used daily and have never had any problems(i might be just lucky)

ezz
Unregistered guest
Hi Stanko,dont know about the above players,but i own a Marantz 52mk2se cd player.It's 11 years old,gets used daily and have never had any problems(i might be just lucky)

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

While there are some players that aer over 6-7 years old, they are unusual. Lasers have a finite lifespan. By the time they go out they are seldom supported by the maunfacturer anymore.
I would go with the NAD simply due to the longevity of the brand under the same ownership.

nout
Unregistered guest
If you're looking for a reliable transport then have a look at some second hand Teac cd players which use VRDS transports or the infamous Pioneer Stable Platter. Check out Pioneer PDS707.
Many people use these cd players only as a transport with an outboard DAC.
Another reliable (but simple) transport is the VAM 1201, you can find this one in many Marantz cd players including the cd 7300.
Operational for 30 years? I doubt it, but the VRDS transport will last at least 15 years without any repairs.

Steve764
Unregistered guest
30 years!!!! That is quite a long lifespan for consumer electronics.

Mind you, my Sony CD player CDP-C5F lasted 16 years. It still plays but with lots of skips and stutters.

As mentionned in previous posts, considering moving parts, laser lifespan and conditions of operation (heat, humidity, dust, sunlight exposure), I doubt any manufacturer could guarantee product operation and reliability over 20-30 years.

Just out of curiosity, why would you need a product operating over such a long lifespan?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us