This message is copied in the DVD forum - although I'd still appreciate some help :-)

Username: Captain_cod

Post Number: 3
Hi all. After reading ALOT of your excellent postings, I wandered out yesterday and purchased 3 components: a Cambridge Audio 540D DVD player, a Cambridge Audio 540R A/V Reciever and a Cambridge Audio 640A Amplifier.

From everyone's postings, I know these components work...and work well (they also look damned good too, although the plastic knobs are a bit of a letdown, as is the lack of labelling on the remotes). However, I wonder if I haven't inadvertantly purchased an amplifier I don't need AND I wonder if it's a wise decision considering I'm moving back to Australia in four weeks.

My questions, if you'd be so kind to offer an opinion, are:

1. Should I have waited 'til I was back in Oz? After all, I'm already going to have issues regarding the power leads *although* I did save at least £200 by buying from Richer Sounds. Should I bother purchasing the 3 year warranty, or does anyone believe these warranties are a waste of time? I'm just thinking if anything went wrong and I was stuck with a broken device, sea freight takes at least 3-4 months to ship anything back to the UK...at least a 3 year warranty will allow me to ship them back with enough time to spare.

2. Do I need that Cambridge Audio 640A Amp after all? I wish to be able to listen to CD's and also put my toes into the water with DVD-A's, too. On top of that, I'd like to be able to use the system for Home Theatre. Is what I've chosen a decent set-up? I know that the 540R already comes with an onboard Amp; was it slightly misguided to buy the 640A as well?

3. I have *NO* idea how to set this thing up. Can anyone suggest any good sites to check out / places in Sydney that might be able to help?

4. Lastly, in regards to question 1, I'm well aware that I haven't tested the equipment...and are unlikely to be able to do so before they get packed (next week or the week after, hopefully). Should I get Richer Sounds - or someone else - to test them out for me?

5. Can anyone suggest a good set of speakers to go with this lot? My budget would be in the region of £600-£700. I like Tannoys because of their price/looks/high what-you-get-for-your-money ratio, but I'd readily accerpt advice from anyone with a preference.

I realise this is a lot of questions (and some may say, "hey, more money than sense"), but I'd really appreciate anyone's input. I may be only a noob (computer geek speak for an amateur), but I'm trying to learn. Most of all, I'd like to be able to listen to some *real* music for once, rather than the recycled stuff out of my PC's Creative Labs speakers!

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Captain Cod.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 1996
Captain Cod,

1. Both Aus and UK are 240 V, 50 Hz mains supply. So, no worries. Except you will either need to change the plug, or buy a cheap adapter.

2. No, the Cambridge Audio 540R does stereo, too, and very well, so I am told. Can't you take the amp back? What were you thinking of....?

3. Read the instructions. Honestly, it is all there.

4. It makes sense to test it, obviously. There has been a report on this forum of one of those models (I forget) needing to be returned for a firmware update or similar. Run "search" with the player and receiver model numbers.

5. Tannoy is a great make. Ditto KEF, B&W. But there are many good makes of speakers, and it depends on what you want the system to do.

Hope that helps.

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 173
Richer Sounds' warranties are excellent and well worth it. If you don't use the warranty then you can claim the money back at the end of the period! So in effect the warranty is free. Bit of a pain shipping it all over to the UK though..... I'd definitely test the equipment before you depart!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us