My First Receiver/Speaker Combo.....any good?

Username: Chimp

Post Number: 1
I have between 2.5k and 3k to spend on my new set up.
At the moment i am going to get:

Onkyo TX-SR800,
StudioLab DS-5.1 (Fronts,Rears and Back Surrounds)
StudioLab DS-5.0 (Centre)
StudioLab DS-10.0 (Woofer)

I live in Canada so many of the newer Onkyo models aren't available to me for some strange reason.I probably could get a higher end receiver from ebay or somewhere online but i would like a warranty with my goodies.
I will primarily be using the set up for dvd movies and occasionally listening to music.
I've heard an Onkyo with the StudioLab speakers and it really liked it but as i'm not an audiophile am i making a good choice with what i want or is there anything better that i could get?

Username: Smitty

Post Number: 6
Jon,

I'd recommend checking out Oz Enterprises in the Ottawa area Oz Enterprises they do ship anywhere in Canada and sell both Onkyo and StudioLab. They also have a decent trade-up program.

I've only bought speaker cables from them but they seemed to have decent prices on Onkyo receivers(with Canadian warranty) last I checked and are quite knowledgable. I'm sure he can get you any Onkyo model you're interested in.

Post Number: 2
Howard,

Thanks for the input,i'll check out the website.I live in Toronto so getting up to Ottowa may be a problem as i'm fairly new to Canada.
I'm fortunate in that i live next door to the shop where StudioLabs are made and they are a licensed Onkyo dealer.The owner of the shop is from UK like me so i've had lots of help.I'm not sure if there's much difference between an Onkyo 800 and an 801 apart from Net-Tune which i can do without. I want to try and stay within my specified budget so i don't really want to see an Onkyo TX-DS989 and then say i want that cos that will really damage my balance...and probably my marriage.

Username: Smitty

Post Number: 7
Jon,

Wow, next door to where the speakers are made...you shouldn't have any problems with service :-).

I can't comment on the Onkyo, but if you want to buy locally I'd recommend checking out a NAD dealer, (I recently purchased a T742 for C$650) as they are reasonably priced in Canada, especially now that they are clearing out their T7x2 line. Many other makes are significantly more expensive than the same receiver bought in the US (eg. H/K, Denon).

Post Number: 3
Howard,

I know next to nothing about NAD,i'd never even heard of them until i started reading the m/b's.I'll read some review's and if they are helpful i'll check out a few dealers.

Thanks for the tip anyway you've been a great help,i just wish i had a NAD dealer as my other neighbour.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us