Choosing a AV Receiver

Anonymous

I am in need of a new av receiver, and thoroughly confused after talking with sales people. I need a receiver that runs cool because it is enlosed. I have Polk center and book shelf and Klipsch rear cieling speakers.I prefer a warm sound and plan on spending $1000 or less. Can amyone give a recommendation.

Username: Tim

Post Number: 7
I know this isn't a great help, except to narrow the field, but Marantz are warm sounding, but run hot (I can't shut the door for long on my SR4300).

So I'd suggest knocking Marantz off your list.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 28
I have a Elite vsx45 and it's in a cabinet with a glass door in front and open in back with only about 2- 2/12 clearance on the top and I have been surprised that it doesn't get hot. The back is less than 2" from the wall so there is not a lot of space to disipate the heat. I can't say for sure if other Elite's don't get overly hot but mine doesn't so far anyway. Speaking of sonic quality only the brands I would pair with your speaker are Elite, H/K, Marantz, NAD and Onkyo/Integra. Hopefully others can pass along their experiences with their units.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 19
I have my NAD T762 in an enclosed cabinet with glass door, but unlike elitefan, mine is enclosed in back as well(I know, not smart, but I am very careful with it). So far, there has only been one instance in when it got a little hot. I was watching a movie that had lots of shooting, explosioins, etc., and when the movie was over, the unit was fairly hot, but by just leaving the door open for a few minutes, the heat went away fine. During normal movie viewing or music listening, I can feel virtually no heat eminating from the unit at all. So all in all, I think the NAD runs fairly cool and would work well for you...unless you like to push the receiver to its limits all of the time...then I think any unit would get hot.

Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 21
I have 5 inches on each side and 4 inches on top clear for my T752 so I can close the door (Wood) without worrying about it getting hot, I have been told here the T752 has a fan that will kick on(can't find any info in manual or ever heard it kick on if there is one)... I find it runs only warm even when playing at higher levels for a extended period of time,,,,

Username: Stelch

Post Number: 1
See also the SONY STR-DA1000ES(STRDB790).
http://www.is2k.com/avmain/SonyES.htm

Stelios

Anonymous

I have it narrowed down to Onkyotxsr 701,Pioneer Elite vsx-53t,Yamaha rxv 2400,H K avr 525 and Denon avr3803. The good and bad any comments would be appreciated.Also what about buying on the net?

Username: Gman

Post Number: 22
I would say that the Yamaha has the best front end (preamp) of the bunch. They put a lot of work into this model, but its amp still doesn't have the headroom of the HK (which now has the 430 and 630) and the Pioneer Elite.

The Elite is probably the best compromise between pre-amp section and amp section. But the new HK's look darn good too.

Much of this depends on the speakers you are using. If you are using 8 ohm or maybe 6 ohm speakers all these receivers should be fine. I think the new HK 430 and 630 would do considerably better on 4 ohm speakers as they have amplifiers with 40 amp and 50 amps respectively. That's considerable push.

And I hate to leave Onkyo out--they make fine products most of the time--but strictly for 8 ohm speakers.

Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 31
For the best match with your speakers I would choose between the Elite and the H/K. The Yamaha is too bright for even Polk's and so is the Denon. I had the 3803 and it's very bright. The Elite and H/K have the best power supplies of this bunch also. I have owned all of the brands you mentioned and have had mixed results and my recommendations are based on my experiences. If it was my money I would go with the Elite first, then the H/K, althought since the 525 is a closeout you can get it cheaper. By the way the Elite has 2 more analog inputs if that matters to you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us