Adcom vs Outlaw

Anonymous

HAWK, G-Man, All,

I'm in th process of setting up my HT and I'm a newbie so I was hoping you guys could help.

Size of room: 21x24 and height is 9'

Use: 50% music and 50% movies
I'm looking at the following setup:

B&W 2x703 front
B&W 2xDS7 surr.
B&W HTM7 center
HSU VTF-3 Sub
Adcom 7807 - 300Wx7 or 7607 - 125Wx7 Multichannel Amp or Outlaw 770 -200x7
Adcom GTP-860II preamp or Outlaw 950

Need advice on which equip. will give me the most bang for my buck and will be nice and warm too as this is big investment and I don't want to get into trouble with the wife.

Thanks.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 17
given the hard choices that you have...I will go with the best deal. They both have excellent power supplies and an equally formidable build quality, I will go with the one that is lower in price. I was faced with that dilemma a few months ago and went with the outlaw 7100 power amp as opposed to the Adcom. Weighing everything I went with the Outlaw because I thought it looked better with all things being equal.

Personally, I would go with the Outlaw audio because that is what I have...so there is bias there.
cheers

Anonymous

Thanks Berny.
I went to a B&W dealer today who also sells Rotel.
He recommends Rotel 1066 + 1095.
This just doesn't get any easier.

Username: Heff

Post Number: 31
Anon - Both Outlaw and Adcom are great. Rotel looks very nice, but won't give you the same bang/buck esp. if you are on a budget.

I'll suggest the Marantz MM900's too since i've seen it offered $699.99 delivered from authorized e-tailer.

Username: Bebaumax

Post Number: 4
Denon and Marantz are both owned by the same company, and I would buy from neither at this point in time. Adcom is now all trash, in my opinion, they've been bought/sold and torn up too many times in the recent years. Rotel or Outlaw would be a good choice, although I'm recently not much of a fan of the RSP-1066 (see my post in the Receivers forum). Just my opinions, guys.

swampcat
Unregistered guest
My adcom equipment is 19 years old and going strong. My adcom gfp 555 is out of date and doesn't match the new adcoms but its 19 years and still going. Two adcom power amps same.(gfa545)(gfa555II "only 15years"). I'm happy with adcom, If nothing else it will outlive the rest of your system.

Post Number: 5
swampcat, good point, the old Adcom stuff was great. But as I note above, the new stuff is just a name. I'd buy Onkyo or Yamaha way before I even looked at Adcom anymore.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 268
yo Anonymous i am faced with the same dilema also.

just to throw 2 more at you and maybe even muddy
it up some more. hahaha

i have all my amps and am looking for the prepro
in the $1600 or less range.

2 that are starting to stand out for me are.

the new rotel 1068 it's an upgrated version of the 1066.

and the b&k ref50 they have slashed it $1000 recently "msrp"
and can be had for around $1600.

both of these might be a little out of your budget though.

just my 2cents.

Post Number: 6
KEGGER, I actually bought the RSP-1066 and ended up taking it back. Even after firmware flashes the unit was incredibly buggy in my opinion. It also didn't seem to beat my Yamaha RX-V1 very soundly, if at all. I got the B&K Ref 50 and have not looked back since. It is so much more stylish, configurable, and BEAUTIFUL sounding. I'm not sure anything in its pricepoint touches it. I know everything's subjective, but I listened to the 1098, the Integra Research stuff, and assorted other goodies out its price class. The Integra DTC-9.4 was a beautiful sounding unit, but a bit cold. Excellent for Home Theater, but I wouldn't want to listen to a lot of music or multi-channels on it. I thought the B&K was a great mix between the warmth of Rotel (which I had always liked until their latest lineup of Pre/Pro's) and the slight cold (some would say bright) but very accurate sound of the DTC-9.4. If I were stuck with the Integra, I don't think I'd be unhappy or take it back like the Rotel, though.

I'm VERY happy, as well, with the processing capabilities of the Ref 50. It does The Wall in multichannel and makes it sound like it was actually recorded with 5 or 7 channels, as there is discrete placement of nuances all around the room. Although, I admit, I do most of my music listening on a separate 2-channel in a separate room altogether.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us