Best of these

Username: Jonji

Post Number: 3
What do you guys think the best of the following subwoofers is:

Yamaha YST-SW320
Acoustic Research S108PS
Cerwin Vega LW-12
Acoustic Research S112PS

I've narrowed it down to these in terms of availibility, my price range, and ratings.

Username: Project6

Post Number: 11
yamaha...
ratings are fine, but have you listened to any of them or are you going to buy in terms of the ratings?
You'll be surprised at what you'll hear. Anyway, good luck!
cheers

Post Number: 4
I'll be surprised at what I am going to hear? Is the subwoofer going to start talking to me? :D

I'm just trying to get more recomendations to further narrow down my choices. Reasons with them would be nice by the way. :-)

Username: Project6

Post Number: 14
It most definitely will talk to you, but not in the terms to which you are accustomed.

I like the Yamaha because the bass it puts out is tight, controlled and not too boomy. The Acoustic research just could not keep up with a staccato of LFE put out by some movies, such as when there are mulitple loud passages like series of explosions, roar of jet engines on an aircraft carrier. Or when you listen to one of Bach's concertos...the acoustic research seems to lag behind or the bass seem to cancel out when there a series of low tones.
The Cerwin Vegas are just not refined to my liking...however they are loud and very boomy.
Now this is what I mean, from what you read of my description can you accurately grasp what I have heard or maybe what you will hear when you personally audition these sub-woofers?
These are just my opinions and how I interpret the sound coming from these subwoofers. Your taste will vary much more from what I like and from others who have their own preferences.
What I'm saying is that your are the final judge of the sound that you like...no matter what ever anyone else thinks of these subwoofers.
cheers

Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 10
I know they're not on your list but have you looked into Veledyme or Hsu?? My thinking is go with a company that just makes subs and makes them well.. They have them in the same price range as the ones you listed..

Post Number: 5
The price and availibility of the CHT's by velodyne and HSU's lowest did not work out for me.

Username: Paul_t

Post Number: 12
Jon, Circuit City carries Velodyne and also offer free shipping, they start at $299 for the Velodyne CHT-8... just a thought.

Anonymous

I would check out the Definitive Technology SuperCube I or II. Pricey, but a tremendous overall value. Nice tight responsive bass, many adjustment controls:
"Definitive Technology has redefined Low Frequency Effects, the ".1" in 5.1. The SuperCube Reference subwoofer is just that--the reference for all other subwoofers. While the price might be a bit prohibitive, the sound quality is way above par. If you've heard the SuperCube I or II subs, then prepare to be literally blown away. While those were compact high-powered performers, the Reference is a full-size sub that will literally rock the foundation of your home theater.

The SuperCube Reference features a 14-inch driver powered by a whopping 1800-watt amplifier. The driver is pressure-coupled to two 14-inch infrasonic radiators--the SuperCube Reference will move a massive amount of air. The frequency response of the SuperCube Reference is rated from 11Hz up to 200Hz.

The controls let you fine-tune this system so that it blends seamlessly into the rest of your home theater. There are speaker and line level inputs and outputs, and it features a high-pass infrasonic filter and a low-pass filter, along with a phase switch. A continuously variable level control gives you a way to manage the massive bass that the SuperCube Reference is capable of producing."

The review was taken from Consumerguide. feel free to do a search and I think you will be impressed with what you read. More importantly, go listen to one and you will truly be blown away. The Velodyne akes some VERY nice subs also.

Post Number: 6
Dude....pricy? It's 1000 dollars! Thats more than all 4 of the subs I listed combined!

And Paul, the price at circuit city for the CHT-8 isn't very good. In fact, its really never worth it to buy from a retail store over online. Unfortunately, the CHT-8 isn't cheaper anywhere. That and I tested it out at Circuit today and it didn't seem to have much power. Of course, it was no where near the corner and it wasn't up in volume much.

Post Number: 7
Oh, along with your recommendations, which of the ones on the list generate the most punch. (Just wondering if the stats lie heh heh.)

Username: Heff

Post Number: 9
A HSU Research STF-2 10 inch Sub offered at CompUSA for $349.99 or direct from the factory offers great output, low bass and great value.

Username: Edison

Post Number: 34
http://www.vertigoonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AES

I prefer this one to all of the 4 you mentioned for $210.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us