Best 6.1 receiver under $250

Jonji
I currently have a decent 5.1 system and I want to upgrade my receiver and subwoofer. So, I need recommendations for the best 6.1 receiver for under $250. Obviously this isn't going to be the best in the world, but oh well. ;)

Mind you, I mean $250 internet price + shipping. (So much cheaper that way =) )

Gracias.

jon
Unregistered guest
Uh...surely I'm not the only one buying in this range. (or who has buyed)

Username: Smitty

Post Number: 2
Jonji,

I don't know anything about them but there's a refurb onkyo TX-SR501 at this link for $185:
Onkyo 501

If you can increase your price range by another $100 I think you'll have many more options available.

Good luck,
Smitty

sam
Unregistered guest
jonji,
don't go after onkyo. onkyo sucks!

Username: Gman

Post Number: 2
The Onkyo is good at this price range. This is a difficult price range. Lots of feauters could be missing--like OSD (On Screen Display), component tv output/inputs, etc.

Read reviews at CNET and on this site Sound and Vision just reviewed 3 receivers listing at $300 that I am sure can be had around $200 online.

Username: Johnny

Post Number: 1
Jonji,

I agree with G-Man. This is a very difficult price range. For that amount of money, I think that Onkyo would be your best bet. While they do not have much power, in my opinion, the sound is going to be superior to the others in the price range. I used to have a lower end Onkyo receiver and the sound was nice...not very powerful...but nice. Like Gman said, it kind of lacked on the options, but what do you expect for this price.

I also agree with Smitty...if you can hold out for a little while, save some more money, and add a little bit to your budget...even $100, I think you will have many more high quality items to choose from. Maybe you can ask Santa for a new receiver for Christmas. :-)

Username: Gdawg

Post Number: 3
Seems to me I saw a refurb Elite 43TX for $385 the other day on the net, but cant remember where. I would say a Harman Kardon 225 would be your best bet. It would beat the Onkyo IMO. 224$@ecost.com. (factory reconditioned)

Link to 225:
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/ecce/shop/detail.asp?dpno=198743

Username: Smitty

Post Number: 4
G.DawG, the H/K may be better but Jonji was specifically looking for a 6.1 receiver.

Jonji, it probably worth having a browse around the ecost website.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us