How do you get a Computer Run Sound System for an Apartment??????

Anonymous
I have my computer in bedroom with all my MP3s, yet I want to listen to them in the living room and kitchen. Is there a easy way to produce the sound in the in the bedroom at the same time as playing it in the other room? I would like to get a 5 speaker system with reciever for the TV and use it in combination with the computer MP3s. I know nothing so please help.

Anonymous
I realize this post is old, but I'll reply just in case anyone else is researching this.

If you have a soundcard with S/PDIF out (SBLive! etc.) and a receiver with coaxial digital input, then you're good to go. You just need the following from Radio Shack:

- a 1/8" mono male minijack to F-type female connector (or a 1/8" minijack male to RCA female connector and an RCA male to F-type female connector)
- run of RG-6 coaxial cable (must be 75ohm)
- F-type female to RCA male connector that goes into the digital input of the receiver.

You can also do this with the analog output, L/R RCA audio cables and a stereo 1/8" minijack to stereo RCA cables into the analog L/R inputs on a receiver (i.e. the Tape inputs).

Three days ago I read all about running RG-6 coaxial for sound in place of RCA. Well, after mucho dinero and a full day of sweating it out in the attic I succeeded in connecting my computer's audio out to my expensive receiver in my living room...monster RCA for the short distance from the computer to wall/wall to stereo...guess what I get for my effort and expense? A loud humming noise and what sounds like a radio signal from another planet playing my favorite music on an old phonograph. Oh, the aliens only play if I grant their wish and crank my computers sound control all the way up...and my wife loves all the useless and ugly plates on the wall. Thanks for the advice, I think I'll now go and shoot myself. BEEP BEEP BEEP...UPDATE ALERT...I just read an anonymous post that talks about digital input? Is my situation salvageable? Please elaborate on this...especially the receiver end. I have a digital (fiberoptic) connection on my reciever...use it for my DVD...

Anonymous
ARe you using one run of coaxial or two? I'm guessing that your using two runs of RG-6, one for each channel, and connecting these to the mini 1/8 line-out on your soundcard? I'm doing the same thing at my house, the runs are about 25', and it sounds decent. I'm running it to a decent NAD integrated amp and speakers, and the sound isn't audiophile quality, but good enough for dvd and mp3 playing. TIP: Make sure you RG-6 isn't running parallel with power cords or in-wall electrical or even Tv cable, these will cause the humming you are hearing. The same problem happened to me... I had grouped the cable wire in with the RG-6 and was getting the same type of interference hum. Your setup should work, do a check for possible sources of EM

RG-6 has a possitive and negative conductor, the center wire is the pos and the shield is the neg. This means that the very thing designed to protect against noise(the shielding) acts as an antenna. This is different from the better monster RCA cables (digital coax, composite, component video), which have positive and negative condutors in a twisted pair configuration around each other(a design that Bell Labs found rejects noise) wrapped in a foil shield. The difference in noise would be massive for longer runs, especially near other cables. Go with Monster.
If there is no digital out on the computer you can do the same thing with a pair of RCAs and a mini jack to RCA Y adaptor.

Miguel... Sure, the outer jacket acts as an antenna, but all that noise gets grounded out. Hence not heard on the receiver. I'm guessing he did something wrong because coax should not pick up that much noise in any length.

Username: Dabears900

Post Number: 1
i hooked up my reciever through the headphones slot and it works just fine but the only thing is the reciever volume has to be maxed out to get a kind of loud sound. I was wondering if there is any way to better connect it then the headphones jack that would possibably make it louder?
thanks

Anonymous

The ehadphone jack is a "powered" output because headphones dont have an amp. Using an amp anywhere inbetween your setup should help boost the signal, because whatever your running to, even though it is digital, probably doesnt have the power to amplify the signal. Another method is running it directly through a stereo system and using sattelite speakers that run off the stereo. This is my setup, and I don't use the spdif outout, just the simple analog on the soundcard to the aux. on the stereo. Sounds great and no buzz or hum! Also, with wireless speakers getting better, you can save precious time(and your walls from being cut open to run wires) and still get great sound, in any room of the house. Hell, its much simpler these days than you people seem to be making it. I am a musician, and sound nut, and I hear no degredation or difference between my analog out and the digital out on my soundcard, except the digital will sometimes get more static in the transfer of sound. I think this is more the pristine hi-fi that comes with digital showing all the noise in a peice of music.

www.twistedpairrecords.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us