If you absolutely can't spend over $600.00 for an H/T receiver....

newguy
Hello everyone!
I'm a new guy here and while I've tried to absorb a little of the culture on this board, I haven't read everything so please don't flame right away.
I'm trying to help my father get into a basic H/T system to go with his new Hitachi big-screen.
What I need to know is any recommendations on a receiver that falls in the $400.00-$600.00 range that has all the digital surround, dts, etc.
Personally I have a Yamaha that I thought sounded pretty good until I read this page.
Let me rephrase that; I have a Yamaha that still sounds good to me, but now I think I want to go out and get a good 'ear' education!

Anyway, my father was very impressed with the Yamaha system I'm running but I want to ask your opinion on amps in this range.
I know a lot of you guys/gals wouldn't touch an amp in this range so please approach this as from a "..well, if I HAD to pick one..." standpoint.

elitefan
There have been good buys on the NAD742[$449] and the H/K525 [$499] that I think are better than a comparable Yamaha but if you like what you have now that's fine. Take your time and listen to as many in your price range as possible. Let your ears tell you what you want. After listening you might still like what you have enough not to make a change.

G.DawG
newguy,
What speakers are you currently running?

G.DawG
newguy,
What speakers are you currently running?

Anonymous
I second elitefan's recommendations. The Nad 742 and HK 525 are both great receivers.

newguy
This is starting from the ground up.
No speakers yet.

WhatsUpHK
I just looked in Consumer Reports and it rated the $800 HK almost on the bottom of the list....well below a lot cheaper panasonic, sony, kenwood. What's up with that?

They can't compete with the lowballs? What's up with that?

ReelDeal
You are incorrect.

Consumer Reports rated the AVR325 3rd behind the Onkyo 701 and the Panasonic SA-HE100 ($250). Denon was 6th The AVR 2803. How about that DENONFAN!

elitefan
I would pay no attention to Consumer Reports when it comes to A/V equipment. These are not full time audio experts by any means. Heck, I find their auto ratings way off base with their anti-American bias. They only real rating is your own ears.

Anonymous
elitefan, can I ask where have you seen the h/k 525 for $499?

elitefan
Sorry to say I don't remember where I saw the 525 price but it was on a post here somewhere. Go to a search engine and do a search for Harmon Kardon dealers and you'll get a long list to look at.

Jerry
Anonymous, I bought my HK 520 for $450, when it was replaced by the 525. That was a clearance price at Fry's, and Fry's is probably the only place you'll see it for that price, but if have one near by, and you wait long enough, and keep checking the ads you could get the same deal. I guess now it's the 530, so maybe when they come out with the 535-SCORE!!! 530s for blow out prices.

GT
There is no HK 530. This years models are the 430 and 630. Fry's was blowing out the 525 for $499 right after Thanksgiving. Maybe you'll be able to find one, if so snatch it up.

Username: Heff

Post Number: 23
The H/K AVR-525 and current model AVR-430 offer great bang/buck performance, but b/c listening preferences are so subjective, you've got to get your dad to audition some setups within his price range.

Username: Tim

Post Number: 6
Does your dad intend to listen to music through it as well?

I'm very happy with my Marantz SR4300, which probably falls into your price range, especially as it's just been superceded by the SR4400. In fact you could probably get a 4400 for that money or possibly the model above (SR5400). Marantz receivers are generally well rated for listening to music (as well as HT). And it's got all the DTS, DPL bobbins as well.

Username: Michaelslb

Post Number: 6
newguy,

I would look into the clear out sale at Good Guys
stores... they're selling the near-flagship
Yamaha RX-V3300 for $599!!! An insane price for a
very sweet receiver.

If intersted, check it out fast because I'm sure
they won't last long.

I would also second Tim's recommendation for a
Marantz 4300, 4400, 5300 or 5400.

Hope that helps!