Bose Lifestyle Alternatives

Username: Marshabrady3

Post Number: 1
Hey

I recently visited a Bose showroom and was impressed by the sound quality. I am now considering purchasing a 'Bose lifestyle 5' system at about £800/$1500. But I have since seen reviews saying that Bose is overpriced and not good at all! I am a beginner at this but want something with better sound quality than my small Sony hifi. I want a small but crisp sounding speaker system with a CD/radio player that provides an input for my computer sound as well. Can anyone suggest a better setup at a cheaper price which won't take up a lot of room?

Cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Walt_h

Tustin, CA USA

Post Number: 15
Beth-its not that the Bose lifestyle 5 is bad. It's just that it is not a good value. Bose puts a great deal into marketing and advertising. You, the customer pay for that. At best-price aside-it is only mediocre equipment. There are numerous alternatives. An equivalent sounding system shouldn't cost more than about $400-600 USD. In the UK, these guys can point you to something better and cheaper:

Sevenoaks Sound & Vision: 144-148 Gray's Inn Road, London WC1X 8AX. Tel: 020-7837 7540
Sevenoaks Sound & Vision:79/81 Chase Side, Southgate, London N14 5BU Tel: 020-8886 2777

They apparently have stores in most mid-to-large cities in UK.

Most of the Japanese and Korean electronics companies (except Sony) offer great value. Even UK companies like Arcam with their A65 model offer great value. Also NAD offers high value equipment in their all-in-one receivers. Check 'em out first - - -- good luck! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 503
Check www.hifi.com
Their stuff sounds as good for a lot less!
Looks similar as well.
You can buy one for about 1/3 the price.

If you are impressed with Bose, you are in for a treat - when you want to move up to a bigger system

Post it if you want to go that rout, and you will get suggestions to the land of sonic haven.

Gold Member
Username: John_a

Post Number: 2051
Beth,

Walter is right. Also check out www.bada.co.uk for a dealer in your area. You could also get a maganzine such as HiFi choice or HiFi News and see their listings of recommended gear. Bose is unlikely to be there. There are reasons for that.

Computer input is no problem, with any system. Everything there depends on your computer input. In the worst case all you need is a separate ADC, and these are not expensive.

RRL9
Unregistered guest
I would consider checking out Orbaudio. They are a web-based company that makes very nice sounding speakers for a good price. Visit www.orbaudio.com. I presume they ship anywhere, since they do not have showrooms or stores. I have their stereo speaker system, which I really like and is also quite handsome. They also sell home theatre systems.
[Also note: I am in no way affiliated with Orbaudio, I just happen to like what I bought from them].

martin thien
Unregistered guest
I love music and need a sound system also. Problem is I am doing business in Vietnam and get a little bit in buying brand new audio system here. There are a lot of used thing here but almost brand DENON, BOSE, WHAFEDALE, HARMAN...I am a beginer and need suggest for a audio system appx. 1000$US.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 601
Do you want a stereo system or an AV surround sound system? Obviously you can get a much higher quality stereo system for $1,000 than you can an AV surround system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us