How much power do I really need?

Username: Stevebart

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased Paradigm Studio 60 speakers, and am looking to upgrade my amp. As a neophyte in audio, I have read all the usual and varied opions about power. Given a modest budget (< $1000), how much power do I really need? I am considering a NAD C352 as a starting point, thinking I can add a separate amp later if necessary. I do not listen to music at extremely high volume. Thanks.

Username: Stevebart

Post Number: 2
I should add that I do NOT use the system for home theater - just music. Thanks.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Look at the July 10 post for your answer:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/56618.html

Silver Member
Username: Sun_king

Leeds, West Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 170
The more power the better, you can never have too much power....etc! I use power for the depth of sound, not because my system will play louder. The C352 should have ample for your needs.

Bronze Member
Username: Gio

Post Number: 24
I have owned a pair of Studio 60s and they need a lot of juice. Personnally I certainly wouldn't go with anything under 100w/ch.

More power will help the 60s shine in the bass department and the whole speaker will sound more coherent. Otherwise the bass may sound undefined and lack speed. That's my experience. I had an Hafler 60w/ch when I purchased the 60s, and had to go buy something with more power.

You might consider a couple of products that Rotel offers in the 150 to 200 watts/channel range. For whatever reason the Rotels drive the Studios finely, are well built and can be had at good prices. I'm thinking about the RB-1080 in particular (2 x 200w/ch).
Good luck

Username: Phimaster

Post Number: 1
i am trying to hook up an amp with 10"subs to a house system what do i need to power my amp

Anonymous

Errrmmm. Sorry to throw this one at you all but I've just been round to someones house to have a dem of some Gaincard Clones.
Based on 47 labs gaincard amplifiers. They put out 25Watts. He had four monoblocks totaling 100Watts driving a pair of Monitor Audio GR 60's. I've never heard anything sound so good.
I always believed that power was the way. I tell you I felt sick! These are (I would say) the only exception to the rule (He agrees) These are very special amplifiers. I don't know how they do it (will be finding out shortly) with such little power but these are better than anything i've ever heard. I'll be putting aup a full review soon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us