No Subwoofer on Pioneer DV-578A-S SACD

Username: Tjaltz

Post Number: 1
I'm new to this forum and need some help in understanding some new equipment I recently purchased. I have a Pioneer DV-578-A-S DVD/CD player, connected to an Onkyo TX-NR900 receiver. The DVD player is connected to the reciever with a six connection multi-channel output as well as a the DVD's optical output. On the Onkyo receiver, when I select the DVD as the source, I have the ability to switch between audio modes (analog, digital/coax or multi channel). When I play an SACD, the unit has no subwoofer output, and will not allow me to change my audio source from multi-channel. When I play a non SACD disc, such as a DVD or Audio CD, and select the multi channel source, there is no subwoofer output. If I select a different source, such as the optical, it sounds nornal. If I play the SACD in a standard (older) CD player, it has normal subwoofer output. The SACD I'm playing (John Coltrane) is marked as a "Hybrid" to play on both CD and SACD players. I think the units are connected correctly, and I have selected the the 5.1 output in the DVD's setup. Any help that you can offer is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Goldenarrow

Post Number: 114
Thomas,

Is the SACD a stereo-only SACD? I believe my NAD receiver and Pioneer 563A player act the same way - there would be no need for a sub with a stereo-only SACD. I am guessing because it could be an older recording not re-mixed to 5.1 multichannel. Also, theoretically, a stereo-only SACD could also have a separate layer that is old fashioned CD. I just am learning also and found out that the top layer of a Hybrid disc is CD redbook and the bottom layer is the SACD info. The lasers use different frequency (color) to penetrate the appropriate layer. The reason why CD would have a sub output is due to the reciever's DSP mode splitting off the sub frequencies.

Also, SACD, due to Sony/Philips paranoia about copy protection, MUST use the multichannel output. So, if the SACD mix does not have a ".1" recorded, it will not be there and the analog input on the receiver bypasses the DSP that would add it in.

At least that is how I understand how it works so far (I am learning too!), let me know if I am not understanding the problem.

goldenarrow

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1115
no golden you pretty much got it.

but 1 thing to try would be to make sure sub output
is turned on in the dvd player for multichannel
output.

and as golden siad not all sacd/dvd-a's have a
subwoofer track.

Bronze Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 63
Just as goldenarrow says, there is not necessarily a LFE (Low-frequency effects) )track with recorded content on SACD nor DVD-A. Normally there is - but if not, the only output to sub will be bass management. That is, low frequency content for channels set as "Small speakers" on player.

Also, I would recommend to check cables again. I believe your Onkyo has 6.1 or 7.1 input, and in the dark dwellings behind bookshelf it's easy to mistake Back surround for LFE.

Cheers
AL

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1160
Thomas Altizio any updates?

PaulT
Unregistered guest
I just purchased this player yesterday, and in the initial settings menu there is a setting for which area of the SACD to read. By default, it is set to SACD stereo, but you can change it to SACD multi, or Audio CD. This is different than/in addition to the 5.1 out setting. Since it has been more than a week since this post, you have probably already figured that out.

Anonymous

Hi,

I bought this DVD-player last week.

I encountered similar problem like you but slightly different.

I'm just wondering if this is normal because I'm bringing the player back just because of this problem.

Connect to Pioneer VSX-509SX in 5.1 analog inputs from the the 6 analog outputs of the DV-758A, playing SACD multichannel disc, it does not activate my subwoofer while playing normal DVD film, all 6 channels are working fine.

I have set multi-channel from SACD configuration menu. But so far, I haven't be able to listen SACD music with subwoofer. All the other channels are working fine.

Other major complaints I have on this DVD is the lack of volume control and menu navigation. Also this entry level should be able SVCD instead of forcing you to buy a more expensive model.

Any help is appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Arnold_layne

MadridSpain

Post Number: 247
I've heard some SACDs have nothing on LFE(subwoofer) track. Which albums are you listening to?

Unregistered guest
Thanks Arnold, this may explain. How do I know if one does not have LFE track? Do you know one good SACD that has LFE track so I can retest the player.

The one is a Hybrid. It may not have LFE track.

It is a sampler from Channel Classics:

Super Artist on Super Audio Vol.2
CCS SA SEL 3404

Now that I look at the back cover at the DSD label:
It is written: SURROUND/5.0 instead of 5.1.

I'll get a good 5.1 tomorrow.

Username: Pcorsaro

Post Number: 1
I have the Pioneer DV-563A which initially worked fine. The multichannel outputs are not working properly now. It does the same thing with both SACD and DVD-Audio. The subwoofer does not turn on. The remaining 5 speakers all operate, but instruments and vocals are missimg. It appears to be the center channel that is where the problem is. I replaced all of the cables. I believe the player is the culprit.The digital output works fine. Also, if you switch the SACD to play the stereo area of the disc,you can hear all of the instruments, but it is still playing through 5 of the speakers. Sub still does not turn on. Very strange. Any ideas?

Username: Aurora_sandman

Post Number: 4
I've got another thread on that unit, although I think I'm encountering a different problem. (Maybe you can visit that thread and tell me if you've ever had that problem: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/108710.html )

As for your issue, have you tried trying to confirm that there is indeed no audio sub signal coming from the player? For instance, run a cable from the player's sub jack straight into the sub amp?

You say all 5 speakers work (front and rear R & L, as well as center), but instrument and vocals are missing? That's really strange.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us