What would you do?

Bronze Member
Username: Gtsum

VA

Post Number: 13
It's been awhile since I last posted, but I do want to thank those of you who suggested I audition the NAD receivers to pair with my Paradigm system (monitor 7, CC370, Mini's, and Servo 15). The NAD T753 has been great (love the sound and performance), but I am building a new house and want to upgrade again! The new configuration is only conducive to 5.1. The new family room is 22x16 with 20 ft two story vaulted ceilings. I am looking to upgrade to Studio 60's, CC570, and ADP 570, or Von Shweikert VR2 (and corresponding speakers) or possibly Monitor Audio S8's (and the center and surrounds). I believe I need more power...for those speakers and the room dimensions, what would you do? Add a 2 channel amp for the fronts leaving the receiver to power the center and surrounds, use the T753 as a processor and add a 5 channel amp, or something else I am missing? Also, any recommendations for other amps besides the NAD amps? I am not familiar with the sound of other amps (not receivers). I am sorry for the long post, just wanted to be as thourough with my info as possible! Thanks a bunch!
Shaun

Bronze Member

VA

Post Number: 15
Well, I just returned from doing a side by side comparison with the following speakers:
Von Schweikert VR2
Monitor Audio Silver S6
Monitor Audio Golf Reference 20
My Paradigm Monitor 7's
All speakers run with NAD T163 Pre/Pro and NAD T973 amp and various music tracts along with some dvd audio..some interesting things I observed - the MA Silver 6's walked all over my monitor 7's..I guess I expected more? The midrange is much more pronounced, vocals are clearer, mid bass hits harder, is cleaner (my monitor 7's sounded muddy and sloppy by comparison!. Comparing the Silver 6's to the Gold Reference 20's (huge price difference, but I just wanted to hear the difference) and these two were much closer than the monitor 7/silver 6 pairing. The GR imaged better and were overall a smoother speaker, but the differences were not that pronounced (certainly not with a $2,000 price difference). The MA Silver s6's and the Vons are different speakers to be sure (as well they should be with a $1,500 price difference). The MA's had a more pronounced bass hit (they do not go lower, but they do have more low end grunt). The midrange and high's sounded much more articulate in the Vons...I heard things with the Vons that just were not audible with the MA Silver 6's (guitar plucks, separate synthesis notes and overall a much cleaner sound (used Dave Matthews Band Central Park Concert DVD for this). Overall, I came away somewhat surprised and confused. Surprised that the Monitor 7's performed so poorly against the others (relatively speaking..I realize they are in different price points, but still...the MA Silver 6's are only 250 more!) Surprised that the difference (to my ears) between the MA silver 6 and the MA GR 20 was slight. Surprised that I liked the Vons so much as I heard them a couple days ago (same dealer, same room) with a NAD T773 receiver and the sound quickly grew tiresome...very bright and fatiguing. The Vons with the separates and a sub crossed over at 40-60 was definately my ticket! Now, I am leaning towards the Vons with the T163 pre/pro and T973 amp (can get the Vons for $1,750 and trade up my NAD T753 towards the separates). Has anyone else auditioned these speakers next to each other? Just wondered what some others (with muc more experience than me) thought about them
Shaun

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 547
I would say it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. If you have the money then buy what you like best. I am not surprised you liked the S6 so much. For a small floorstander that retails for $999 it is a really great speaker. I am surprised you liked it as much compared the your 7's. They do have very different sonic characteristics and I like the MA's better myself but I must say that I have always thoght the 7 to be the best bargain in the whole Paradigm line-up. I really don't think you need as much of a power upgrade as you seem to believe but the NAD separates are great so if you want them go ahead, although consider the 773 also. There are no Von dealers near me so I can't comment on them.There is just so much good stuff to be had and I could make other suggetions on receivers but enough for now. Good luck.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 450
You might want to consider green mountain europa speakers at under $1000.

Also paradigm studios.

And magnepans mmg.

If you really want to get good sound at home, and you want to invest a little more, consider electronics like krell 300 integrated. You will get more upscale sound you seemed to like.

WWW.audiogon.com has used gears at good prices.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 451
www.videogon.com has surround sound receivers.

You might want to hear panasonic sa-xr70. Only $340 on the web, but many audiophiles are replacing their multi-thousand systems with this new digital amp.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1129
also if you wanted to do it in steps or just 2 channel
you could get a 2 channel amp and use the preouts
of the front from the reciever to the amp to the
front speakers.

then you could allways add other amps later and
go to a prepro in the future.

I'm not saying you should do this just giving you
another option.

have a good one!

Bronze Member

VA

Post Number: 16
Thank you for the replies. I am still very impressed with the MA Silver 6's...they may even be better for my audio tastes (rock, mid to high volumes and home theater etc). The vons are so attractive because of the price (about $800 of list price and never been used!) I have already listened to the Studio 60's and like them a lot, but do not want to purchase from the rep here. I do know one thing though, the monitor 7's and CC370 are up for sale now! Keeping the Servo 15 as I think it will be a good match with either the vons or the silvers:

Realelitefan - thanks for the comment...I believe you and hawk steered me towards checking out NAD equipment several months ago and I am so glad you did! I did check out the T773 receiver as that is what I went to trade up to, but the sonic differences between that receiver and the separates (especially with the vons) was quite large...bass was more solid, highs were more...open and airy (not sure how to describe it) and much smoother...my ears actually grew fatigued with the 773 with the vons and not so with the separates. I may still go back and listen to the silvers again..

Jameslee - thanks for the info...I actually have my speakers for sale at audiogone now...good site

Kegger - that is what I was thinking also, but have decided I will prewire the new house for 7.1, even though I am not going to use it right away. Also, I decided that I do want the separates as I do not want the upgrade biting me real quickly after I do this! But, I agree, it would be far cheaper to get a 2 channel amp and run the mains off it and use the receiver for the rest...

Any other recommendations from people in the know? I know a lot of folks seem to like Outlaw Audio amps..I have heard them and the sound seems a bit more dry and not as smooth as the NAD amp...could be I do not know what to listen for, but that was my take on those....thanks again for all your help!

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1137
just to toss 1 more in there you could get a really
nice 2 channel amp for the mains then a 5 channel
amp for the rest.

or 2 mono blocks then a 5 channel "if you really wanna
go all out"

later! good luck and happy hunting.

Bronze Member

VA

Post Number: 17
True. I am not real familiar with mono blocks as I am just getting into the whole separates thing. I am waiting for my guys to get back to me on what they can do for trading up my T753 for the NAD separates...I am thinking that will be more than enough power and flexibility for me, but who knows?! Thanks again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us