Speaker selectors to protect amp?

Username: Gessie7

Post Number: 9
i have a H/K 3475 stereo receiver and have two pair of paradigms hooked up. In order to protect amp when playing both A and B speakers I thought i needed a speaker selector. Well I bought the Monster ss4 selector and definitley notice some attenuation of signal when both pair are playing through the selector. I just read in the owner's maunal that I can play both A and B speakers without fear of damage becasue if it reaches a dangerous level it goes into "protective mode" My question is has anyone else seen this on any other equipment and do you think its reliable? Or should I continue with the speaker selctor even though signal is weakened?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 283
Paul: most receivers will allow connection of both A and B speakers. The receiver will usually include information (n the instructions) that you should only connect speakers of the rated nominal impedence to the connectors if running with both speaker pairs.

The reason for this is that turning on both the A and B speakers just causes your receiver to run them in parallel. In Ohm's law -- which is the measurement of impedance -- running speakers in parallel halves the impedance. So, connecting 2 pairs of speakers which are all rated at 8Ohms would yield an impedance of 4Ohms to the receiver. That's important to note. If you happened to be running 6Ohm speakers on your H/K -- which H/K will run easily -- connecting 2 pair, and enabling both speaker pairs, of 6Ohm speakers to your H/K would present an impedance of 3Ohms to the receiver. The receiver would probably go into protect mode.

Do you know if that speaker selector does impedance matching? If it does, I wouldn't see where you should be having signal attenuation problems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 284
I looked up the H/K 3475. It's rated 110W into 8Ohms and 140W into 4Ohms. I don't think this receiver would have problems with any 8/4/6Ohm speakers running in parallel (that is with both the A and B speakers selected).

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
Paul: so sorry.. I'm sitting here, downloading music off iTunes, burning CDs and not paying attention!

Wanted to let you know that speaker selectors like the SS-4 (Monster) are when you want to connect multiple speaker pairs to your receiver/amp. In your case, the H/K -- and most receivers in it's class -- can handle two pair of rates speakers across the A/B terminals without issue. The reason to add a multi-channel impedance matching speaker selector is for things like whole house audio (running several or more pairs of speakers).

I think, for your situation, you don't need the SS-4. If you have Paradigms, most of them are 8Ohms... a couple are 6Ohm. Again, I don't think you'll have any issues with running A/B speakers on the H/K 3475. You can always send H/K support a question at the Harman Kardon website.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us