Home Speakers made from car 6x9's???

Jon
I am interested in making some speakers for my home system. I want to make something nice, but I don't have lots of money to spend either. I had an idea to get some good car 6x9's and use them. I would use 2 6x9's per speaker - so 4 total. That way I could wire them in series to get 8 ohms. I am invisioning a skinny tower with the 6x9's stacked long ways. Anyone have some input on this idea? Since most 6x9's have built in crossovers, would there be a problem with connecting them in series? Would I be better off buying the separate components like typical home systems? Thanks for any input.

Jerry
A good pair of 6x9s will cost as much as a pair of decent home speakers. You probably won't be happy with the bass, either. If you want to get a good pair of speakers cheap, then you may check estate sales. They have them every weekend. My best purchase was a $750 JBL sub for only $35. I did have to take care of an annoying piece of plastic that was buzzing on the amplifier whenever it was turned up. When the people running the sale don't know what they have, sometimes it goes cheap. If you want to build speakers, then you may have a dealer in your area who sells open drivers for home use. I do in my area, and they have a wide variety of drivers in all sizes for all applications. Or check out http://www.partsexpress.com/ The cost to buy the drivers is, as rule of thumb goes, about 20% the cost of a prepackaged speaker with the same drivers. Ex: $1000 2-way pair of speakers has 2-$80 woofers and 2-$20 tweeters. Or something like that. Most woofers come with suggestions on what size box to put them in and what size port, if any, to use. Just make sure the box is constructed well. Use MDF wood, which can be expensive, but is necessary, and pad it inside well. I'm not an expert, but a cheap made box will ruin the sound of even the best woofers. Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us