Need some advice

Username: Boomer

Post Number: 1
Hello, after reading around here, I've realized its been a while since I've really read up on the equipment...so I would like to use the expertise of the members of this board. I am currently in the process of upgrading everything, but trying to stay within a reasonable budget, that said. Need recomendations for a receiver and probably speakers (have been using Infinity Minuette 5.1). Use 60% movies, 25% music, 10% game console and 5% PC. Budget under 2000.00 Let the thread begin......

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1027
well as far as recievers go. "no specific models"

to me the best of the midfi equipment would be.

marrantz,h/k,pioneer elite and nad.

from those if you can get one in your budget you should do fine.

if your looking at movies/surround any of those recievers
should go well with klipsch speakers.

that combo makes makes a very adaquite surround system.

Bronze Member
Username: Goldenarrow

Post Number: 87
Source material seems to me to make the biggest difference in listening experience, no matter what system you have. The musical difference between SACD/DVD-A and "old fashioned" CD (redbook) is amazing. Similarly, the movie/theater difference between Dolby Digital/DTS and Dolby ProLogic is just as amazing. I have basically stopped buying CD redbook music discs. And I only own one VHS movie tape that is Dolby stereo.

That said, IMO, electronics is changing quite fast. I read yesterday of talk that 32 and 48-bit DVD-A players coming out in a couple of years. Invest your very scarce dollars on what will be around the longest - speakers, then amps, then anything else electronic. You will want to save some money to buy the high rez source material. That's my opinion. Others have said that you keep all components equal in level, lowend with lowend, midrange with midrange, etc. and I can appreciate that argument.

It is hard to go right into home theater without spending the whole thing on speakers. The cost gets exponential, so it is very good that you are budgeting. However, you may want to try to expand the budget slightly. $3000 would be a better target but that is conjecture on my part.

One way to save money is to try out one "open box" or even factory refurbished equipment. Someone else had mentioned looking at ecost.com for Denon specials. Also, a local dealer near me routinely sells "open box" demos with full manufacturer warranty. That's how I ended up with the NAD receiver. The other ones that Kegger said are great ones too.

The problem with mail order is that you cannot hear it before you buy it. Bad idea unless you already know what it sounds like with the other equipment attached (speakers, players, etc). You really need to listen to these things yourself, that means finding a good dealer who won't sell you the moon with high profit margin to boot.

With cables, on a budget, stay away from extremes. Do NOT buy Radio Shack under ANY circumstances (I know from personal experience). Do NOT buy overpriced cables unless you can afford "formula one racing car" prices. Good cables are, Cobaltcables, BlueJeansCables, Acoustic Research (AR), Monster Cable(a bit overpriced). The AR Pro cables can be bought from buy.com at a very reasonable cost (returning them can be expensive though, so know what you want ahead of time).

Some of the equipment reviews linked from this forum are good, some not so good. Look for ones that are critcal and do comparisons to others.

Hope that helps.

goldenarrow
Upload

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input guys...I'm kinda of leaning towards the Pioneer VSX-55txi seems I can get one online for a pretty decent price..its sold out in my area though.

Post Number: 3
change of plans, looks like I'm keeping the speakers for a bit (Infinity Minuettes + sub).
What would the better reciever be for them, the 55txi or h/k 630?

thanks again guys for all your input

macjam
Unregistered guest
Lawrence,
You have some very sensible advice from the above posters. I was in a similar position to you some 18 months ago and opted for a system that would give me the greatest flexibility. I simply loved the picture from the Pioneer Elite, and the fact that it is a universal player (SACD & DVD-A compatible) and also a decent enough CD player, made it irresistable.

I matched this with a NAD receiver and I couldn't be happier for my investment.

Good luck with your decision making.

Post Number: 4
and hopefully near last question what about the 52tx?

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1040
Lawrence Preijers as long as it's in the elite line
should be a very nice unit.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for all the help guys, I picked up the VSX-54TX..now I can't wait for it to get here :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us