H/K avr630 vs. Denon 1083

Username: Nvn

Post Number: 7
How are the sounds of these two receivers?

Thx

misterHT
Unregistered guest
Compare the specs and look for:
• Highest Signal to noise ratio
• Lowest THD
• Highest RMS watts per channel
• Greatest frequency range.

Better yet, listen to both of them side by side and see which one you prefer.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1013
my vote goes to h/k.

Post Number: 8
misterHT,

I compared the specs of both receiver, what's the HCC (Amps) ±50 listed in the H/K, but Denon did not list?

thx

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 272
NVN: the HCC is High Current Capability. The ±50A (amps) is how much current the receiver's amplifier section can delivery to each channel on demand (for short transient bursts).

Some people refer to this as dynamic headroom. This is the ability of the amplifier section (and power transformer) to deliver more power than the amplifier is rated for for quick (short) bursts. This is very useful in home theater, when you have very subtle scenes and then an explosion of loud noise. It's also useful in music tracks where you have very dynamic passages which create demand on your speakers and amplifier.

I don't know why Denon doesn't list any High Current Capability in there specs. Perhaps they don't support it, or it's too low to mention.

I looked at Denon (I have one in my Rhode Island apartment) when I was looking for a replacement for my Kenwood KRV-990D. I chose the H/K AVR-525 to replace it. H/K just has better power than most.

All, though, is subjective. If the receivers stack up relatively the same, given the specs, then actually listen to them in your environment (preferably at home or in the room you would be enjoying it in).

This is what misterHT was eluding to. Once you're narrowed down your selection, which it seems you have... try to audition these in YOUR HOME (or location where you're going to be installing it) and try it out with YOUR MUSIC and YOUR VIDEO selections!

There are some threads here if you need suggestions on some music and video to audition a system with. It's always best to use the music (CDs) that you like best. Even if you can only audition in the store, bring your CDs and DVDs!

Post Number: 9
geekboy,

Thanks for descriptive explanation. I did some research on the H/K receiver, many comments that the general problem with the H/K receiver is it getting too hot, and then it'll cut off for a brief period. Since you own a H/K receiver, do you experience this problem?

thx

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1061
I also own an hk525 and it does get quite warm.

best bet to put it on a shelf with open sides all around.

or like what i've done is put a fan behind the unit
and let air pass over it. doesn't take much to keep
mine cool. and mine has never shut off.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 273
nvn: I have not had any problems with my H/K AVR-525 getting hot or shutting down (going into protect mode). Since about 1997 or so, I've treated my components differently. Sometime prior 1997 I had always liked those "enclosed" audio/entertainment centers. (The rack kind, not the whole television/shelve unit.) I purchased my Kenwood KRV-990D in early 1997 and had it in that rack. I ran into huge heat issues. While my Kenwood never shutdown (protect), I would open the glass door of the enclosed rack and find it VERY VERY HOT inside -- like opening an oven door! The Kenwood was my first Dolby Digital (AC-3 as they called it then!) receiver! I had just converted my Pioneer Laserdic player to output an AC-3 bitstream! Toy Story was my first Dolby Digital laserdisc I had -- and still have! Man, it was nice and my friends liked watching movies at my place... cause there was nothing else like it yet (DVD was just hitting the streets and had very limited titles).

Because of the power demands and heat being generated from my AC-3 (Dolby Digital) movies, I purchased an open rack after that. Since then, I have purchased a Salamander Systems audiophile rack. This open design and very sturdy steel supports was what I was looking for. I had just started to get into this whole audio thing (well, really Video, 'cause I'm a home theater freak!). I later started to slowly upgrade my system, since it was expensive to do! I went from an old Sony STR-D211 (I think) to Kenwood KRV-990D to now an H/K. I went from some old Accoustic Research speakers -- which, actually, weren't bad -- to Bose Acoustimass 9s to Klipsch CF-2s (I still have these) to my current workhorses, the Paradigm Reference Eclipse/BPs. (Side note: I actually had Surround Sound back in 1989 with a Realistic Dolby Surround Sound Processor... it was awesome! :-) ) Man, I'm babbling...

What was your question again? Oh, yeah... again, no I have never had problems with heat or cooling because for years I've had open audio racks and am always careful about component placement. If something has vents on the top... you need to make sure that air moves and it isn't obstructed. For the H/K AVR-525 it was the logical choice to place it on the top of the rack (it displaced my S-VHS deck and HDTV cable box.) I really need another shelf! :-)

If you do have an enclosed rack, make sure it's ventilated. You may have to add a fan. It's better for these beefier audio receivers to be in "open" racks to get better airflow.

Best of luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us