7.1 speaker help

UNICRON-WMD
Hi all,
I am in the middle of upgrading my HT to 7.1. I have been reading and researching a lot and I am a little lost. So, I kinda need some of your opinions. ALL OPINION are WECOME!!! I don't care if you like NAD or YAMAHA:) hehehehe

Anyways, I have always had a 5.1 setup with all direct radeating speakers. Now, I read that the speakers on the sides should be Dipole. Some even say all for surrounds should be Dipole type speakers. Please give me your opinions and let me know what works for you.

Also, if I buy a 7.1 receiver, do I have to have 7 speakers? Can't I just use 1 speaker for the very back of the room? Are there benifits for having the 7th channel?

Thank you all for your time,
WMD

UNICRON-WMD
Thanks for the help ladies:)

I came to this site to help others and get help myself but I guess if I don't own or preach about NAD, Rotel, HK, Elite.....ETC...... I must be a outcast or something. I never post as anonymous like these internet toughguys. I always use my internet name.

My point is, you guys have time to make fun of these people who bought speakers out of the back of a van which 50%++ are fake but not help someone.

So from now on, I will be "Anonymous"

I don't have NAD

I am such a piece of S#!T
You're so perfict
Oh, You're so perfict
Oh, You're so much better then me
You're so much better then me
YOU SUCK!!!!

THX!!!
WMD

Jerry
I feel your pain. I am new to this site and have no other intention than to help a fellow in need. I must be to relaxed in my criticisms because while I do have a pretty discerning ear, I find most equipment out there to be pretty good. I will even tell anyone to their face that if they want a good speaker for under $100 a pair, the Bose Model 141 is the best out there. I have bought several pair for my self and others as extention speakers and mains. I even used a pair at my work bench at my last job which was at an audio manufacturing plant, and when all the audiophiles would come and harass me about owning Bose, I would simply tell them to actually listen to them, and that usually ended the argument right there.

As far as your surround issues, I don't have bipolar surrounds yet. Someday I will buy some, but until then I just turn the fronts of the speakers towards the walls and turn them up a little, and for not spending a dime to do it, it was pleasant improvement over direct radiation. I wouldn't concern myself with 7.1 yet too much, because, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anybody, but I have yet to see a movie that I have rented or purchased on DVD that was formatted for 6.1 or 7.1. I have a brand new progressive scan DVD player and a 7.1 compatible receiver that automatically selects the surround mode, and have yet to see anything other than 5.1 digital come up.

Johnnyness
Hi,
I don't have any real experience with this yet, as I just have satellite speakers on the back wall, but due to mounting restrictions (no back wall on the first floor) so my back speakers are very high. (like 12 or 13 feet from the floor) and I have read that its best to have direct rear speakers if you have to put them so high. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I am buying all new speakers, but I am having a hard time determining what kind of rears to get without the store putting them 13 feet in the air... I think I'm just going to have to guess.

Sorry I'm not an expert helpin you much, if at all, but I agree, that this board should be about giving advice based upon experiences, not upon what we can hear for ourselves in the store. No store has all the recievers, and all the speakers in all the possible set ups... so all we can do is try and communicate what we think on here.

I personally bought my receiver after listening to advice on here to help me determine my options, then went out and listened to all the ones on my list I could find and bought the one I thought sounded the best.

Good luck.

Unicrom, I am not an expert, just repeating what I have read in magazines. In a movie theater with a good sound system the surround speakers are all along the side of the theater. This way you don't get the effect of the sound coming at you from a single point. Instead you get the 'surround' effect. However, most of us don't have a large enough room, nor the money or inclination to put in many speakers distributed along the side walls (at least I know my wife wouldn't be happy). To reproduce this effect it is preferable to place dipole speakers even with the listening position. Hope this answers your question.

For your other question I don't know why you'd get a 7.1 receiver and only get 6 speakers. If that were the case I'd get a good 6.1 receiver. I don't think there are any movies encoded in 7.1 and I haven't heard anyone on this site state that 7.1 is much different sonically than 6.1.

P.S. I know it can be frustrating asking a genuine question and not getting an answer when people are more willing to spend time knocking Yamaha or commenting on being happy about being ripped off by a salesman in a van. But the sarcasm in your second post doesn't help. Most of us on this sight are people with LIMITED experience trying to share our opinions.

Unicrom, I am not an expert, just repeating what I have read in magazines. In a movie theater with a good sound system the surround speakers are all along the side of the theater. This way you don't get the effect of the sound coming at you from a single point. Instead you get the 'surround' effect. However, most of us don't have a large enough room, nor the money or inclination to put in many speakers distributed along the side walls (at least I know my wife wouldn't be happy). To reproduce this effect it is preferable to place dipole speakers even with the listening position. Hope this answers your question.

For your other question I don't know why you'd get a 7.1 receiver and only get 6 speakers. If that were the case I'd get a good 6.1 receiver. I don't think there are any movies encoded in 7.1 and I haven't heard anyone on this site state that 7.1 is much different sonically than 6.1.

P.S. I know it can be frustrating asking a genuine question and not getting an answer when people are more willing to spend time knocking Yamaha or commenting on being happy about being ripped off by a salesman in a van. But the sarcasm in your second post doesn't help. Most of us on this sight are people with LIMITED experience trying to learn something and get feedback from others.

Anonymous

Unicrom, why post bitter remarks like "you suck". Is it because no one responded to your post immediately? How self-absorbed are you?

If you don't like what you read or get mad because you don't see what you want, just chill.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us