Need Sound

Username: Coldcut

Temecula, CA US

Post Number: 1
Hey guys,
I'm going out to buy a receiver and some speakers tomorrow and I need some advice. I think I'm pretty settled on the Yamaha 2400 but I don't know what speakers to buy. I'm hoping to get the whole setup (receiver and speakers) for around $2,000. Is this possible or should I drop to a lower priced receiver? The system will be mostly used as a theater sound system although I do like to occasionally listen to music.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 436
How many speakers are you going to get? If just two, it's ok to get a 2400, but if more and must stay around $2000 you should get a cheaper receiver to retain good balance between speakers and receiver.

Temecula, CA US

Post Number: 2
Well since theater surrond sound is my main focus, I would be looking at 5.1 or 6.1. Movies and video gaming are what I'm really into, music is secondary. I'm spending close to $4,000 on my T.V. though and I don't really want to skimp on audio but at around $6,000 wrapped up in this project it's getting rather expensive! I wqas hoping $2,000 would get me where I need to be. Any suggestions (receiver models / speaker setups) would be very much appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 438
Get a cheaper but sufficent receiver like the Marantz SR5400, it has good sound and all the necessary features. Also H/K AVR230 or NAD T743 would do the job. This way you'll have more money for speakers and on the whole you'll get a better system.

I dont know much about speaker market in the US, prices, availability and so on, so maybe someone else can help with that.

Gold Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 1012
i would have to agree with lanroval.

i would not get the better reciever then skimp on
speakers.

Temecula, CA US

Post Number: 3
Well thanks guys, I'm off to go audio buying. I think I'll take your advice and drop it down a notch on the receiver. My only concern now is will the lower price receiver have adequate inputs to acommodate all of my video game systems and still work with HDTV, DVD etc. I'll let you know what I end up with. Who knows, maybe the $2,000 ceiling is just a pipe dream and I may end up spending a lot more. We'll see.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us