AV musical amplification option around 1000 €

Falp2
Unregistered guest
In my quest for a medium-term investment in a move to AV/Music upgrade
one question is still around...

My favourite receivers are Denon, Marantz and I could think about a NAD, with a same brand DVD (maybe universal) player.

Should I invest on something like a 500€ (SR4500/5500, AVR 1905/2105)Receiver and later add a stereo amp like a Rotel/NAD/Marantz or go to a 1000€ AV Receiver like a SR7500/AVR2805?

How can get the best musically?
I'm leaning towards the 1st option.

My priorities are the best musical performance in both Music/HC.

Thanx in advice for any opinions/experiences :-)

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 118
Thanks Falp2!

I didn't realise the new Marantz line was out (In HK at least). Any word on a worlwide release date for the new line. The SR4500 has 125Wx7. I just hope it's a true 125Wx7 as Marantz have been saying their will give at least 70% of their rated output and looks like they are going to offer them in gold too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
OK I've seen the postings over at the AV Forum (UK). September release for the new range. I was thinking of going the seperates route over the long term but may pick up one from the new line to see me over till I get the seperates. They look very promising!

Again thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
In my excitement I said the SR4500 has 125Wx7 but in fact that was taken from a HK website and I believe the model designations may be different there. It's 80Wx7 in fact.

Falp2
Unregistered guest
Some model in September, the other until November I think...

And the questions.....?

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
If I were in your shoes I would wait for the SR7500 or the SR8500 if you can stretch to it (dealers will invariably discount from the start) as I think the performance in stereo of their higher-up models will probably now match that of a good budget integrated (manufacturers are forever improving the stereo performance of their receivers-because they weren't all good in this respect). I still feel Marantz have the edge over most when it comes to stereo performance for an AV receiver. Also looks like the SR7500 will allow you to biamp your L&R speakers so that should help improve your stereo listening if you intend to have a 5.1 setup only (you will need to clarify this when they are released). If you do go for the higher end Marantz models you will also get appreciable gains in movie use over say the 4500/5500.

Of course this depends on how they perform so you will need to demo them when they appear along with stereo amps to see if the trade off, if any, is worth it for you. I would also include the NAD range as there are many owners here who rate them in stereo use too. I personally like the C521BEE/C320BEE over most of their receivers/dvd combo's but that's just my opinion.

I went for seperate movie and music setups myself as I wanted a good system for both music and movies for my main system and a seperate music only system for my bedroom.

Hope that helps some!

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 431
What speakers do you have? How many? Are you mostly interest in stereo music or also multi-ch?

Falp2
Unregistered guest
I prefer stereo and it will be my first move into AV/surround. And now I'm getting into a DVD concert fan too.

I'm interested in a 5.0 or 5.1 setup.
If it was now I would go for a Marantz 5400 or 5400OSE.

I now have nice stereo setup with a DVD player that is going to be 2nd system, but thinking of buildind a new system, to improve overall sound quality (main concern)

Over speakers I'm considering MA Silver S2+SLCR+S1 if I can afford them, otherwise MA Bronze or B&W 600 series maybe.

Falp2
Unregistered guest
For those also interested in Marantz:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142608

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
The Marantz 5400OSE is excellent and I bet the new 7500/8500 are also very nice. I would probably get a good receiver first and get better power amps later if necessary.

Falp2
Unregistered guest
Have you herad the 5400 or 5400OSE?

I read somewhere the 5400OSE is bettrein music than the 7400 (or 7300...?)

Over the internet I can find them not too expensive.

Falp2
Unregistered guest

I read somewhere the 5400OSE is better in music than the 7400 (or 7300...?)

Falp2
Unregistered guest

I read somewhere the 5400OSE is better in music than the 7400 (or 7300...?)

Silver Member

Post Number: 434
I've heard both briefly on a shop, but I can say the OSE is significantly better. And the non-OSE is of cource a lot better than most of the competition. I've read many customer made reviews and everybody can hear a the difference between the two models. The only receiver on the same price class that can beat the OSE is the NAD T743. I ended up with it.

Bronze Member
Username: Falp

Post Number: 40
At least here in Portugal the T743 is cheaper than the 5400 "only" version.

SR5400 = 799€
T743 = 690€

Obviously you think the 743 is good, downsides, any?

Silver Member

Post Number: 439
Less features, small hiss/hum, popping noises when detecting digital signal, nothing else.

What I especially like about it are the fully assignable digital and video inputs. Also it's a lot smaller than the Marantz and the remote is near perfect.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
The famous hums....

What do you mean with fully assignable digital and video inputs???

Silver Member

Post Number: 443
It means I can manage all the inputs via OSD, I can assign any input to any source. For ex if I have my DVD-player connected to the digital optical 1 and want to change it to the coaxial 6 what I need to do is just change from the OSD the digital input number for DVD.

The hum is really not a problem. I can hear it when nothing is playing from 1m distance, but at 2m it's almost unaudible, and when playing something I cant hear it at all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
How many analogue inputs does it have?

Only one????

Silver Member

Post Number: 444
Get the manual from NAD homepage for details.

It has 8 analog inputs of wich 3 are in/out for tape/vcr. And of course one 5.1 direct input for DVD-A (wich is great) and/or SACD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
I guess I can say from reading that Marantz and NAD are two safe bets for the Audio lover, namely the Sr5400 and the T742.

So are the better than average Inbord amps in both.
Am I right?

I think I'll follow the Marantz way, I have some doubts namely build construction in the NAD models.

Only waiting to see the new Denon 2105 and Marantz(the 5500 maybe) and NAD will outperform is musical terms.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
Any comments on this ideia?

Silver Member

Post Number: 451
Umm, what idea?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
NAD vs Marantz vs other less musical and weaker power source Reveivers...

Silver Member

Post Number: 457
Well it depends what you want. I wanted the best sound and not the features so I did get a NAD. If you want the features then get a Denon or Yamaha. If you want something in between then go and get a new Pioneer Elite 54TX/56TXi or new Marantz SR7500/SR8500.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Best sound and not the features would be a Cambridge Audio 540r.

Best sound, some features, build construction, reliabity, all channel driven power.. and looks, Marantz.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us