Repairing scratched CDs/DVDs

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through October 17, 2005Carl Drew Davis100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Username: Technologic

La Quinta, California U.S.A.

Post Number: 2
ive only tried it on one game so yah im gonna try it on my gameshark and san andreas

Post Number: 3
i would know more than you i just found this place and just put down a post and if anyone has any problem using brasso or any kinda metal cleaner just leave a post and ill get back to yah

Post Number: 4
madden if you IM me at Stewie588 or msn at stewie588@hotmail.com i can tell you a for sure way to use brasso and to make it work i can see how people made it not work and how they made it work so just im me on one of em and ill tell you the proper way to use it

#1Gamer
Unregistered guest
Ok dip shi,t aint no one talk about my mamma u looser as$ mother f*cker and what the crap would u know about brasso bitc.h u blow dogs for qurters

nout
Unregistered guest
@ #1Wanker

... just try some things out, toothpaste, metal polish...whatever (toothpaste works for me in most cases, if it doesn't work: tough luck!) and stop this annoying crap about who knows best, you wanker.

Post Number: 5
lol but yah #1Gamer cant cuss worht a sh*t all the things he says doesnt make sense and ive tried toothpaste but i thnk i used it the wrong way but my games didnt change so yah im gonna try toothpaste again and metal polish it workin for me but i use two brasso and this stuff called MAAS its a cream but yah they both work for me

#1Gamer
Unregistered guest
yo carl i heard that car scratch remover works good

Post Number: 6
yah it does you should try it

kazuokiriyama
Unregistered guest
Damn THUG2 stopped working and I am unhappy. Theres scratches here and there, but THPS4 has more and that isnt as broke. Like, THUG2 just gets past the bit that says "Playstation 2", thats it. Any ideas on fixing it?

Also, my other game has this indent coming from the front going to the back sort of.
Is that broke or can I fix it?

Thanks

Post Number: 7
try using metal polish but u neeed to use it a certain way if you dont use it the right way ur game is screwed even though u can fix it but washing the whole thing with water if it doesnt read th disc after using polish get brasso or MAAS and then reply ill tel you how to use it

AK47_
Unregistered guest
I don't know how to repair scratched cd's I got san andreas to work after fiddling around with the options for a while. For all you guys stuck in the ganton house, heres what you do. When the game is at the loading scree, playing all that music and whatnot, UNPLUG your controller, and let the game load. Once it says load successful, another message will popup telling you to insert your controller, when you do that, It will go to the start menu.(doing this gives the game time to load the graphics). once everything is plugged in, just push start and the game should stop clicking and resume play. Although when you leave the house it has to load more graphics so you may have to do the controller thing again. please tell me if this works, cause it worked for me!

British Heretence
Unregistered guest
Dear Peeps,
My Ma and BF recently aquired a PS2 for a friend and asked me to get it running, i can't Brasso the disks for 2 reasons:

uno)I live in UK (No WalMarts)
dous) I don't know whether its the disks or not

Now, i'm using a SCPH - 30003 R Model with 1.20 browser and CD player, it has a 1.10 PS Driver, and the options are set to Disk Speed: Standard and Texture mapping: Standard.

I am looking for clean, useful advice to help out the parents PS2 Problems, (It Doesn't play anything!!)

Any help? please repond =)

TY 4 UR TIME,
Eric, sOh

Post Number: 9
what do you mean Ma and BF i know battlefield for the cpu and modern combat forthe ps2 and xbox but i dont get what ur saying

Post Number: 10
i have no clue what ur saying is this for the ps2 or cpu ill be able to help you with both i just dont get waht ur saying

British heretence
Unregistered guest
Right, lets get the not understanding bit out of the way,

ma = mum
BF = boy friend

Bronze Member
Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 58
"My Ma and BF recently aquired a PS2 for a friend and asked me to get it running"

PlayStation 2 consoles have dust accumulation problems which can inhibit proper operation of the mechanical components as well as the optical pickup. You will have to take the top cover of the console apart followed by the disc drive top. Then you have to airblast all dust out of the drive and then relubricate the pickup kicker mechanism and pickup traverse bearings. In addition, you must also swab the objective lens on the pickup of any dust.

There should be information online that will help you to deal with these repairs.

But, also be prepared for the fact that your console's problem may be due to a pickup that has gone marginal. In this case, no amount of cleaning will fix it. You will either have to replace the pickup or replace the console if presented with this particular scenario. - Reinhart

mikeman11
Unregistered guest
i have a new x box game and i think it somehow got scrathed how do i fix it? i really need help.

Matt_Cole
Unregistered guest
Hi, I also live in UK and I've just dug out my 'Mafia' disc which i haven't played for ages. It has some scrathes on it and a few deeper ones. Any ideas of anything I can use at home? (Something that works :P)

Thanks,

Matt

Lame Larry
Unregistered guest
Oh Man...BRASSO?
I trayed on it my Leisure Suit Larry VVIIXX Director's Edition DVD set.
Oh man...didn't do sheet but now caused more trubble than I had befure. My VD player skips, my dog got pregnant, and I got this gawd awful rash on my happy stick.

playstation-underground
Unregistered guest
i used dog p e e to get the scratches out of my ps2 games first you take your dog out and have a little cup in hand when the dog p e e s take it in the cup bring it inside and use two fingers to dip in the p e e and rub moderatly on the game it works wonders it will make it run like it was new

sshardlow
Unregistered guest
doods san andreas is a dodgy game it recked all my m8s cds and even the ps2 i fink it cant cope wiv the size of the game and the graphics

sshardlow
Unregistered guest
british heritance person its prob ur laser inside the ps2. If u open it up and see thar is a lil cog that is white get a knife and turn it two clicks and keep checkin if it works. you will find a good place for it and mark the spot on the cog wiv a marker. this moves the laser up and down so it can focus

yadidamean?
Unregistered guest
Thizz is what it izz

jonnnyjrjjdkk
Unregistered guest
hehehehe i just came looking for a way for fixing a cracked disk. this is kinda like a forum for jerry Springer. listen if theres anyone what can make anny suggestions id appreciate it. No namecalling !:P

sexcuntytoppletit
Unregistered guest
Hey my san andreas is messed up . it keeps sayying error when i try to leave the house and go to ganton

i need help!!!!!

Xiah
Unregistered guest
i recently got Def Jam, Fight for NY.. and the game works.. all the places work except for foundation (a fighting arena).. so happens that its the first lvl.. so im screwed.. and i wanna play.. there is 1 lowsy scratch in the damn CD.. wtf to do?!?!?!?!?!

Anonymous

I just got a really, really, I maen really scratched game from my cuosin. It worked on his console but not on mine. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

hey #1 Gamer I see that in October you were fighting with Technolo.... what ever the *** his name is. I say he sounds geeky.

and Kip us amricans ain't stupid

Username: Doucarewhoiam

TX United States

Post Number: 1
Brasso only cleaned my CD

skepticallyyorz
Unregistered guest
blowtorch=flameage. flameage+disc=screwed. Disc Dr. works. ANY MILD ABRASIVE works, just follow Disc Dr. instructions. Peanut oil in the corner of your eye gets you really high, then you die within a couple of seconds. Or so I hear. Could be just about as sensible as using it on your disc, or brasso, or Pam???? I would rather put Pam on my face. Have you met her? hahahaha

skepticallyyorz
Unregistered guest
OK, enough of the sarcasm. How it works. A scratch is a scratch. If you get rid of the scratch, the laser will track & read correctly. Hence a super-fine abrasive with a gentle lubricant.
To be safe, rub from centre towards outer rim. If scratch is DEEP, then a coarser abrasive can be used, but graduate to a finer one when the scratch begins to disappear. Clean well & play. I haven't tried it, but maybe ceramic stove top cleaner may work. Just a suggestion. I haven't tried it, and haven't heard of anyone who has. The disc is a vinyl creation and the info is stored on the back of the label, not in the disc, but the laser has to shine through the disc and is reflected back from the label. Therefore, as far a what I have read about devices to "shave" the disc causing the disc to stop working. Bull! Unless you shave the disc so many times that all you basically have is the label, which is not too likely. The only problem would be the focus of the laser, which can be adjusted, but then you would have to readjust for every disc. Well, enough of this lesson. Remember, PREVENTION is the key. PS, I have had discs so scratched that I thought they were only good for the microwave, (which is really cool), but with Merlin's Disc Magic, they cleaned up really nice.

RavenGamerChick
Unregistered guest
well i just found out that pledge works for taking scratches out of dvds,games,cds. well in my opinion it just got worse. now my xbox wont even read it now and befor it would load now i guess ill just have to say f*** it and spend 20$on a repair kit oh well better luck next time. to all you out there dont waste your time
p.s toothpaste has always been my #1 cleaner

AK47_
Unregistered guest
You are all pathetic retards, these people are just looking for help you filthy american dogs. Just use Brasso it works fine, rub it in good on all the scratches, then put a light coat all around the disc. With this i fixed GTA:SA, Metal Gear Solid 3, The Warriors and some other crappier games. Brasso DOES THE JOB.

RavenGamerChick
Unregistered guest
I just want to let everybody know that turtle wax is the best thing to use for taking scratches out of games if you dont have that brasso s***. so use it and you will be as satified as i am! and please try it youll love it!

max4444
Unregistered guest
i tried toothpaste it made my gta san andreas a bit better from saying error reading the gta san andreas disk straight at the begging of turning the ps2 on till minutes into play but its still not great

Bronze Member
Username: Dvautier

Bellevue, Wa Usa

Post Number: 36
This is a super thread. I've noticed that my burned CDs scratch easier than the purchased ones.

I'm off to get my can of brasso.

I'mNotGayMyBFIs
Unregistered guest
ok... i'm playin a game all nice and what not when it frezes..wtf am i ganna do now? i lost the recipe so f that idea i need help! give me some REAL tips please!!!!!!

I'mNotGayMyBFIs
Unregistered guest
ok... i'm playin a game all nice and what not when it frezes..wtf am i ganna do now? i lost the recipe so f that idea i need help! give me some REAL tips please!!!!!!

AK47_
Unregistered guest
So did the brasso work? Let me know if it does. It seems to be working for me. P.S do NOT use semen to clean the disc, belive me it dosent work. Just try beating off on the disc and rub it in good, then you see muhahah

Dash_ZERO
Unregistered guest
so far ive read this entire thing and now im just confused......

everything u guys have suggested sounds like it might work......but then some people reject the ideas so then i dont think it'll work........i have Xenosaga Episode 1 ps2 game and it freezes at a black loading screen probably before a CG movie.....plus it freezes in the middle of some CGs but i can just skip those......i know it's not my ps2 becuz it is brand new......i tried cleaning it but i knew that wouldn't work.......i really doubt peanut butter works but if it works for u then do it....i doubt i have brasso.....toothpaste might work im gonna try that....as other scratch removers i say dont buy it! if it says "car scratch remover" then it was meant for a car not ur ps2 or xbox game.......game dr might work but my sis used it and it just made it worst......but she couldve done it wrong........

Dash_ZERO
Unregistered guest
Ive tried the toothpaste......it hasn't worked three times.......ill still try though.....

uttt ohhhh
Unregistered guest
i was looking at the container of brasso i found...on the back it says dont use on lacquered finishes....isnt part of the disk laquered?

Serialkilla
Unregistered guest
Okay i tried the brasso, i tried the toothpaste. I even forked at 20 sheets for a pro care disk repairer. None of them made it worse apart from the pro care disk cleaner and now instead of the odd freeze i cant even get outta my crib on san andreas.

I aint saying this methods dont work for people they may well do and i am glad for you if they have. But for me they sucked.

So only one thing left to do. Get me mate who works in a video store to swap my copy of san andreas for one in the store that works fine.

Anonymous

serialkilla, does the brasso take any scratches off? cause i have one big one on my RE4 disc. and i cant switch the discs cause EB games doesnt give cash refunds.

Anonymous

serialkilla, does the brasso take any scratches off? cause i have one big one on my RE4 disc. and i cant switch the discs cause EB games doesnt give cash refunds.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
imm to lazy to log in but yah brasso works PERFECT and you must of used it wrong you have to use it a certain way or it wont do anything but leave smudges that u can wash off later but yah ill sometime make a mini movie to show you guys how to use brasso and acouple other kinda stuff

GeniusDeadHead
Unregistered guest
I just fixed about 10 DVD's and 5 CD's that were scratched really bad and skipped or would freeze. I have never tried it on any games though. Pour rubbing alcohol onto a cotton ball and thouroughly wet the surface of the CD. THen light it on fire until it burns off or wave a lighter(long neck) across the alcohol until it evaporates. Let it cool and then clean off with windex and soft cloth. Works like a charm.

Unregistered guest
Man, Im so pissed off! Why doesn't anyone write something that actually helps?? I just want to play me scratched games again.

Unregistered guest
Oh yeah and by the way. I know a way. Okay get your scratched disc. Go to a video shop, and ask if they have a disc re-surfacer. Then get your disc re-surfaced. Yes this lowers your discs life but so what will you be playing this game for 30 years? If you live in Wellington, NZ. Go to Video Ezy, they do it at the cost of 5 Bucks.

Unregistered guest
There are 2 types of scratches you can have:

A scuff mark: renders the surface of the polycarbonate milky, rather than clear. This diffuses the laser beam, making it impossible for the tracking mechanism to locate and focus on the pits which carry the sound and tracking information.

A scratch: which runs at an angle to the track usually poses no problem for the tracking mechanism. Indeed a well adjusted CD player should be able to track a disk on which a 1mm strip of black tape has been stuck - providing it is stuck on radially. But if a scratch is approximately tangential or circumferential, it can obscure the track below for enough time that the tracking or error correction cannot cope.

Unregistered guest
Both scratches and scuffs can be removed by the same method - by polishing them out using Brasso. Engineers have been using Brasso as a polish for plastics ever since it was released as a polish for brass.

Use the Brasso in the normal way. A drop or two is usually sufficient (one tin will last you a lifetime of great listening!). Use a soft clean cloth to rub the affected area with the Brasso until the mark is almost gone. Polish scuff marks radially. Scratches are best handled by rubbing along the direction of the scratch. With a scratch it usually is not necessary to polish it completely away - just clean it up enough for the laser to be able to see through it.

Finish up by letting the Brasso dry on the surface, then use a fresh soft cloth to rub it off. Just for good form's sake, do this last stage radially. Remember radial scratches won't generally interfere with the tracking mechanism.

When trying to work out which scratch is to blame for a mistracking, keep in mind that ones at an angle to the direction of rotation are not likely to cause problems. Also keep in mind that a CD plays from the inside out, so that a problem on an early track is more likely to be near the centre than the edge.

After using this method I expect your cd to work. But otherwise if your still experiencing errors you have probably stuffed you disc up, by using myths like Peanut butter... Lol well look out.

AK47_
Unregistered guest
NO DAMMIT!!! use brasso, who in the hell is gonna slop food on their disc!? it's easy to use, its cheap and its easy to find. Just goto walmart. And don't use 2 drops of it, take a dishcloth or something similar and dip it right into the tin, so the tip of the cloth is coverd in brasso. then just rub a nice, light coat all around the disc(rubbing inside to out) and then really rub it in good on the scratch areas. Keep rubbing for a while until the scratch has been filled in. then wipe off the remaining brasso on the disc and let it sit for about 5 mins before putting in into you ps2. Just try it, what have you got to lose?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
AK and Munits right brasso is the way to go

Anonymous

yeah dag dis is da way ta do it...........just like doggie style is da way to do ya moma

Unregistered guest
Plz Help me i just got Sims 2 for Christmas(PS2) and it wont F*ckin work i'm in Desparate need of HELP!!!! #1Gamer any suggestions? or n e one at all?? plz help me! If for some reason i dont get this plz IM me (sk8indude5060)<---AIM or E-mail me (Sk8indude5060@yahoo.com) Thank you

~Trinity~

Hessbomb
Unregistered guest
ya, you are all so wrong. The goal isnt to use an abrasive to tear away the surface of the disc, the goal is to fill in the scratch. Car scratch kits and glass repair kits (the ones on TV, where they rub a pair of eyeglasses with sandpaper and then repair them by painting this stuff on (I'm pretty sure there's a link to it at the bottom of this page)) are probly the way to go. I'm gonna try something like that first, and then maybe this Brasso stuff. Toothpaste is, of course, abrasive, and if you ever put peanut butter on a disk you lack the common sense of a dog. Have you ever seen a dog put peanut butter on a CD? No. That's because it's stupid, and even a dog knows that. I just want to play Madden :-(

PackersTown4
Unregistered guest
Well, i was desperate last nite because i banged my ps2 and put a huge scar, not a scratch, but a scar in my madden 06 disc. I tryed many of the techniques here, car polish, glass cleaner, CLR, but nothing worked. I went to TruValue and bought a can of Brasso, used it on the disc, it WORKS NOW!!! Brasso works!!! its worth it!

adctd to san andreas
Unregistered guest
yo i havent been on this forum in a while and i just wanted to say i dont focking care about my san andreas for my PS2 cuz i now have san andreas for pc! :P

Packertown4
Unregistered guest
heres a damn nice idea - even using my softest cloth for drying the brasso or pledge, it still created scratches. Put some pledge on the disc, and rub it in with a COTTON BALL!!! it doesnt create scratches and got rid of literally 98% of them. Do it!!

adctd to san andreas
Unregistered guest
Carl Drew Davis quit ripping on #1Gamer hes cool. and he actually comes up with funny curse words unlike u cuz u suck at cussing so go fu.ck a duck you albino crack baby!

Anonymous

Ok. What actually works and how do you use it? please can someone post a step by step guide on what to do?!?!

gamerchick
Unregistered guest
Auto protectant works too.

we had to 2 PS1 games that wouldn't work at all, then we put auto protectant on it and it worked like brand new.

my suggestion is the wipes. all you have to do it wipe in lines (not in circles) for about 2 1/2 minutes, let it dry, and wipe it off a little with a delicate rag.

Anonymous

I got 3 ps2 games for christmas and they all scratched what can i use to fix them??? help

Pock Chop
Unregistered guest
good kill good drank, big money,pourin up syrup, im rollin on leather grippin grain i handle my bizness so i think i deserve it maan! Use BRASSO!

Sup dogs
Unregistered guest
I used dog c u m. Just bring your little four legged friend inside, throw down an old towel and place your scratched cd on towel. Now pull out your dogs c o c k and start pulling on that lipstick. After your puppy blows rub it all over your cd, use a clean towel to clean up the mess and your on your way, hope this helps!!

anonomys2125794
Unregistered guest
hey Packertown4 I tried that Pledge idea I'm letting it soak in the PS2 game right now the first time i tried it it i let it set for about
40 seconds then gently got it off with a 100% cotton piece i tried trh game and it sped it up but it still stopped at the same place i didnt use pledge though i used the same type of spray it was just a dollar general brand it filled in some of the cracks

CmenMaster
Unregistered guest
Hello pple, stop trying out stupid things like brasso.
What you all need to do , and believe it will work , is to drop some semen on the disc , and after it gets dry , use some car shampoo to clean it.
Iv been doing that since i was 8 , and it was some of my ideas with semen , if any of you needs more ideas on what to do with semen , just post it.
Remember !!! , not the sink ..There are so many other places than the sink , try your monitor , that will clean it too.

Good luck

Unregistered guest
Get a special cleaner and scratch remover made for polycarbon plastic (safety Glasses, Face shields, CD plastic) from you local Plastic supplier. The stuff is cheap ($7.00 cdn here for 375 ml ) and comes in 3 grades Light, medium and corse. I use my Roto tool with a buffer wheel for the deep scratches and work my way down to the fine polish. 99% of my problems with playing or copying discs is corrected with a good cleaning.

heyhowudoin
Unregistered guest
Well, My madden06 is kinda screwy, it freezes when ur playing the game, or sometimes when its loading, tooth paste helped a little bit, but not much, im trying Rubbing Alcohal now, its kinda working, but i havent put the disc in yet, and I think its not working 4 alot of u people is cuz u arent applying it right, u get to let the stuff sit, and dont rub it hard, rub it softly and smoothly
Peace

forgotten password
Unregistered guest
Personally, I clean my scratched disks then copy them with at a low speed with EAC etc and try to be more careful with the copy.

The click problem with the PS2 is the laser, or more correctly the movable lens for the laser. If I remember mine right (I replaced it), the lens suspended on four wires and moved by electromagnet. The clicking happenes when the weak laser can't focus on the disk, and it hits the end of the adjustment.

If you replace the laser, take the cover off the old one and have a look

Username: Tweakerttweaker

I have to wonder about some people when they write what they write if they are doing what they say they are. Meaning like the Tooth Paste, I have used Tooth Paste for years on CD's and on DVD's and yes it does work sometimes with some since of what you are doing, like removing the Paste when you are done. And yes the Brasso works VERY WELL too. And to throw in a new one for cleaning wipes for disc's COFFEE Filters work very well "DRY" for removing very light blimishes on disc by them self too. When you try these things use some common since PLEASE, I mean really stop and think about what you are trying to do before coming back and complaining that someone else did not know what they are talking about. These fixes are like anything else they may work sometimes on somethings but not on others. Just my four cents worth...
Later play nice everyone...Tweaker.

FIX MY GAME
Unregistered guest
MY san andreas don work does regular brass cleaner work? or jus brasso

i need help freaks
Unregistered guest
okay you ppl have serious problems i need a person to help fix CD scratches not friggin break my friggin finalfantasy VII CD.If anyone has any REAL ADVICE NOT THAT SH!T THEN PLEASE HELP ME!!!
But if you are just here to cause problems and cuss people out cuz you think you are better than them than i don't think you should be here!

Mike Dean
Unregistered guest
My San Andreas is really crappy when it comes to the music loading.

Suc

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2290
If you don't want to try the methods here, take it somewhere and have it resurfaced. There's a Graywhale CD near me that does it for $3 per disc. Unless the scratches are deep, it looks just like new when they are done.

josha
Unregistered guest
ive like spent over £200 on ps2 games an rite now ALL of them are scratched and 1 game i never even took it out of the ps2 can sum 1 help or give sum advise 2 fix um

Username: Chris000

can anyone tell me how to fix the disc read error message on grand theft auto san andreas

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 2612
Have you read this thread? There are plenty of options for repairing discs.

Username: Kid94

my san andreas game dont work it says error reading game disc. can anyone please tell me how to fix the game PLEAZE!

Username: Tdug

my grand theft auto san andreas game is it has a scratch and it says error reading grand theft auto disc how do i fix it???

Username: Kid94

can anyone tell me how to fix my ncaa march madness 2004 basketball game. can anyone PLZZZZ!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us