Sub in Canada for CDN$500 to CDN$1000?

Bronze Member
Username: Petergalbraith

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 30
The aim is to extend bass for full-range speakers that go down to 45 Hz in addition to HT use. I'll be using a h/k avr325 receiver which allows me to send low frequency signals (< 40 or 60 Hz) from the main channels to the sub in addition to the .1 digital output.

In Canada, I'm looking at:

Paradigm PDR-10 (10") C$500
Paradigm PW-2100 (12") C$1000
Velodyne CHT-12 (12") C$750
Mission ms10 (10") C$500
Mission m5as (12") C$1300 (Might be able to get it for $1000)
Klipsch RW10 (10") C$769
Polk PSW404 (10") C$600

I'm unsure whether to go 10 or 12 inch. I've heard that 10 inch models are better musically. So far, I have only briefly heard the Paradigm PDR-10 and PW-2100 on a movie trailer (strangely, the receiver was set to Pro Logic II instead of Dolby Digital; I didn't ask about it). The 10-inch PDR-10 sounded good and the 12-inch PW-2100 was producing annoying bass when you'd think none should be heard. It deserves another listen with a different salesperson (in Dolby Digital).

The Polk Audio only goes down to 32Hz at -3dB, so that seems a little weak to me as well.

Comments?

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 35
No answers?

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 125
I've heard the Mission M5as sub with M5x speakers and Arcam electronics playing Clapton in surround mode at an av show once and was impressed at it's ability to produce clean and highly musical bass with lots of clarity. It sure was a bit of a looker too.

However I can't say how it compares to the other subs on your wish list but I would definately go for a shop audition or home audition with your system (best way!).

Good luck!

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 36
Thanks Valeem,

I think I'll be able to audition a Mission M5as in Quebec City later this week. That would be my first choice if it doesn't sound boomy, and your comments point in the right direction! Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Valeem

Post Number: 126
Do let us know your impressions of the sub and which one you decide on in the end. Again good luck!

Bronze Member
Username: Mrspeeed

Canada

Post Number: 28
Peter,

For what it is worth...

I have the Velodyne CHT-10 with a set of missions (I never auditioned the mission sub) and have been pleased with it. Music and home theatre are both nice; edge to home theatre if I had too chose which one it played better.

My fronts go to 35Hz at -6dB and the sub blends as nicely as can considering my stupid Yamaha receiver only has one low pass filter, 90Hz.

Regards,

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 38
Thanks for adding your words Mr. Speeed. That's good to know. Do you (and anyone else) have an opinion on 10" versus 12" when used for music?

I notice you're happy with a 10" model; Had you auditioned a 12" Velodyne as well?

Thanks,
Peter

Bronze Member
Username: Mrspeeed

Canada

Post Number: 29
Peter,

I actually bought my sub on ebay. I had auditioned a number of subs at Future Shop (Future Shop budget) and preferred this one (can't remember if they had the 12 inch velodyne). Either way size wise this was about as much room as I could spare for the sub. I also figured that because of my fronts the 10 was all I needed. I also heard the "10 is better for music theory" and since I listen to a lot of music I bought into the theory.

However I would think that one can not generalize that 10 is better for 12 for music across different companies though...within the same company and line maybe. (Just a thought)

I've seen the CHT10 go for pretty cheap on ebay. I was also recommended an HSU and one time. I don't know how much they cost though. (more food for thought)

Regards!

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 43
Ok, here's an updated list of subs I can get in Canada:

Paradigm PDR-10 (10") C$500
Paradigm PW-2200 (10") C$850 to C$1000

Velodyne CHT-12 (12")
Velodyne CHT-15 (15") C$775 shipped, incl. taxes, mail-ordered from the US!

Mission ms10 (10") C$500
Mission m5as (12") C$1300 (Might be able to get it for $1000 including taxes)

Klipsch RW10 (10") C$769
Klipsch RW12 (12") C$900 (or a few hundred less, mail-ordered from the US)

JBL E250P (12") C$388 shipped, taxes incl., mail-ordered from the US.

On the Klipsch forums, I was told I should be able to get the Paradigm PW-2200 for C$850 (This is less than the prices I'm quoted locally; i.e. C$1000). It was highly recommended, while the Velodyne CHT-15 was said to be slow.

The same person said I should be able to get the Klipsch RSW-12 for C$1200. That's a little steep for me anyway.

The JBL is very cheap, as is the Velodyne CHT-15 (relatively speaking).

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 45
Any opinion on the US$399 Adire Audio Rava in comparison with the above?

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 49
I listenned to a RW-10 today at a local store. It was very convincing and rock-solid on LFE ("Ice Age" beginning) but I'm unsure about music content. I should have brought a known CD but I was just driving by and dropped in. The bass was a little monotone but that could have been the music itself.

For the price difference with the RW-12, I'd probably go with the RW-12 if it's rated as well on music as the RW-10. That's if I go with Klipsch instead of the other choices. I could get the RW-12 in canada for C$899 + taxes (total of US$775), or mail-order from Brand Namez for US$429 with as-yet unknown shipping and duties which almost certainly would be much less than the Canadian price.

The Velodyne CHT-15 still seems like the killer deal for C$775 shipped to my door...

Peter

Spock of Vulcan
Unregistered guest
Hi -- I'm not a member, but I've noticed that Hsu subwoofers are available through Canadian dealers as well. I think the main distributor's web site is www.hi-fidelity.com, and you can find a local dealer (hopefully) there. The web site also shows the MSRP. There's tons of positive comments about Hsu's subs all over the Web.

PS: I'm not in any way affiliated with Hsu or the above distributor.

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 51
Hsu subwoofers are available through Canadian dealers as well. I think the main distributor's web site is www.hi-fidelity.com

Plonk. Well, that blows my mind. I have to reconsider my list now. They list the STF-3 for C$799, which seems entirely reasonable. I have emailed them to get a local dealer (or the closets one anyway, since there's not going to be a local dealer!).

Spock of Vulcan
Unregistered guest
Just to further stir the pot, you can look in to SVS (www.svsubwoofers.com), another Internet-only company. They sell box as well as cylinder subs. They also are highly regarded. Lots of talk about them at the www.hometheaterforum.com site (as well as other sites!).

I hope this doesn't confuse things too much! When you do make your decision, I hope you find it satisfying and will let the rest of us know how it went!

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 34
Can't go wrong with HSU or SVS. They are pretty even BUT SVS sells high end subs that are fantastic if you want to pay.

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 52
Thanks guys,

Getting SVS would involve ordering from the US and risking unknown duties and tax handling charges. I could get the Hsu via the Canadian distributor for a very good price without hassles.

I have filled out the Hsu web form to get a recommendation on which sub to get for my room. But I'm leaning towards the STF-3. Someone on the Klipsch forums offered a source for a new boxed Klipsch RW-12 with a blemish on the side for C$700, which is C$200 off retail. The Klipsh and Hsu subs have comparable specs, but I haven't heard either of them. Comments?

:-)

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 53
Dr Hsu answered very quickly and agreed with the STF-3 choice and he suggested placement for it. Nice service!

Before I order, any final comments on Hsu STF-3 (C$875) versus Velodyne CHT-15 (C$775), Mission m5as (C$850) and Paradigm PW-2200 (C$1000)?

:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Get the HSU! It will equal but most probably beat all of the ones listed!

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 60
I received the Hsu STF-3 today. I unpacked it and was a bit disappointed to find a deep half-inch to an inch scratch on the front-right edge as well as a scuff mark in the front panel. Did I get a B-stock with retail price?

I set the volume to mid-level and set my receiver to something low, like -30dB or so, then put on Darla hitting the aquarium with her finger on Finding Nemo. My wife swears that the patio furniture on the outdoor concrete patio was shaking. I was in trouble. There was no way that sub was staying now. The whole house shakes!

I tuned the volume level with a calibration DVD and SPL meter and it turns out I need to turn down to volume to a bit below 1/6. So maybe the sub is too powerful for my room.

Then, I tried music. I had tried a few subs last week for a few days, including a small Paradigm PDR-10. There's no comparison at all. I could hear things even with the receiver volume at -40dB that I have never heard before. The first track of Sting's "Brand new Day" has bass I never knew even existed. The "Heel freezes over" DVD never sounded so good! The sub is staying! Fantastic!

I'm only concerned about those scratches...

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 215
If you really like it (sounds like you do ;-), then check into their return policy. They are very reputable and I'd be surprised if you can't get another one quickly. You shouldn't have to keep damaged goods when you paid for a new (not B stock)unit.

Glad to hear it sounds so nice as I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a sub. Hsu is the brand I'm leaning towards. Good luck.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Peter.........whatever you do don't turn it up too loud or you will knock everything off the walls!

I would also return the sub as something either happened in shipping or whatever. These are the chances we take buying on line since there is so much packing and handling. Retailers receive a lot of goods in their stores like that as well so don't feel unique. Call them, they are a great company and don't like when customers receive their items damaged.

HSU will probably send you one before having to send the other back so you won't be without your sub.

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 79
To finish off the story on my Hsu STF-3 that arrived with a fairly deep 1-inch long scratch and a light scuff mark on the front panel...

Jack Yeager at Rocelco (the Canadian distributor for Hsu who sold me the STF-3 directly) said they had no B-stock so that wasn't an issue. After sending in pictures to assess the damage and describe the boxes and wrapping as being in perfect condition, they offered to reduce the price by C$200 (plus the already paid tax, of course). That's 25% off, so I was happy with that and agreed.

I must say that the service from Rocelco was beyond reproach. I am very satisfied and would buy again from them in an instant.

If I were buying today, I'd get the VTF-3 Mk2 Returned unit available for c$850 from www.homedigitalav.com; not because I'm not satisfied, but rather bacause I am satisfied and curious about Hsu's top of the line model.

Username: Northerncomfort

Sudbury, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
Stay away from polk audio
others are good i would go with Velodyne or Klipshs

Bronze Member

Rimouski, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 95
Maurice,

If you read the admitdely long thread, you'll see I got a Hsu STF-3.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us