HK 7200 still a great buy?

Interested in HK7200
Unregistered guest
given that the HK 7200 is probably considered by some to be an old receiver, is it still a great purchase for < $1000 when there are other great receivers (some newer with neater gadgets) by onkyo (801), denon (2805), marantz (7400), rotel, nad, etc??? pls comment any the HK relative to any of these.

paramount to me is surround sound / overall sound quality. i realize that the speaker match has a lot to do with overall quality (i have JBL Studios). i hope my new receiver will be capable of handling better speakers when i upgrade in a few years, but it needs to sound good with the JBLs for the time being.

i don't think i'll have the luxury of hearing the receiver before i purchase it, so i'm relying heavily on your responses. many many thanks in advance.

no name joe
Unregistered guest
i'd like to hear any thoughts on this also.

separate question. is the "outdated" hk 7200 better than the hk 630 seeing that they're comparably priced?

Username: Omegagen

Post Number: 10
I just purchased this receiver about 3 weeks ago and it sounds AWESOME! Plenty of power! It doesn't matter what receiver you buy, as soon as you buy it it's "old technology".

I purchased mine from onecall(authorized dealer) for $813 when I signed-up for their member services.

You can't beat that...I don't care what "they" say!!

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 419
no name joe,
depends on what you want. If power and soundquality is want you want and features are sufficent get the 7200, if you want Dolby headphone, PL2x (on the way) etc and dont have ultra greedy speakers, then get the 630.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 967
to me the 7200 and 7300 hk's are very special recievers.

if you can get the 7200 for a good price and it does
what you need it to do, get it because it's one
heck of a piece of machinery!

tons of clean clear power.

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 968
and it should sound excelent with your current
jbl speakers.

Scott C
Unregistered guest
"tons of clean clear power"
If you don't believe this, try putting this monster on the top shelf of your stereo rack by yourself. You will think it is tons of something!
I bought my 7200 a couple of weeks ago. I finally got everything situated in the rack and replaced the last of my low end interconnect cables tonight. This receiver is fantastic. I read a lot of reviews, comments by owners, and received a lot of sound advice (if you will pardon the pun) from members of this forum before making my decision. I, too had to buy it without the luxury of an audition. I was a bit apprehensive as I connected my 20 year old Infinity RS5b's but when I turned it on, I found out just how much performance these old speakers had been hiding all those years.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us