Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX & Mirage OMNI 250's

Username: Honkeylighter

Post Number: 1
Hello, I need some help. I recently purchased the equipment above. Here's my problem, my system, (if you want to call it that), sounds extremely muffled. I literally have to turn the receiver up to +2db to get the level of sound I want and it max's out at +12db. When listening to FM stereo, it sounds as if someone is covering the speaker with their hand. Same goes with DVD's. Does anyone have experience with this equipment? Is it normal to have to almost fully crank my receiver to get decent sound? If I turn it to -20db, you can't hear it if my windows are open. I've been in BestBuy and have heard a demo set-up with bookshelfs play louder and clearer. I shelled out $1500 for this equipment and I'm just not happy.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 417
Did you listen to the Omnis somewhere before you bought them? All cablage ok?

Post Number: 2
Yes, they sounded great in the store. I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by cablage???

Do you know if it's normal for Elite receivers to have to be turned up that high for good volume?

Silver Member

Post Number: 421
Uh yeah, I was trying to ask if all the speakerwires were ok, no shortcuts or loose connections at receiver or possible bi-wire bridges? are you using bare wires or banana/fork plugs?

Post Number: 3
I'm using the flat Monster wire that runs under the carpet. No loose connections and I'm using bare wire.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 525
Shaun,
As an owner of the Elite 45 I can say the volume levels you mentioned would be extremely loud on my Elite/MA system to the point of being dangerously so. For cd listening in direct mode I set my volume between -25 and -18 depending on the cd. For movies it's at -10 to -8. Anything more than that leads me to think your speakers are very inefficient or their is a problem with the receiver, which is highly unlikely. Have you tried the receiver with other speakers to see what that would do?

Post Number: 4
No, I haven't tried it on any other speakers. That will be my next step. The 45 that I bought was a factory refurbished unit. The salesmen had told me that Pioneer recalled a lot of units due to premature shutdown. He stated that the units were shutting down because the temp chip was falsely reading the actual temp and shutting the unit down.

Post Number: 5
Not sure if this helps but here are the specs on my speakers.

Impedance: 8-ohms nominal,4-ohms minimum
Frequency Response: 40Hz-20KHz, +/- 3dB
Amplifier Power: Up to 150-watts
Tweeter: 1" (25mm) PTH
Pure Titanium Hybrid
Inputs: High Quality 5-way Terminals
Woofer: Two 5-1/2" Polypropylene Titanium Deposit Hybrid
Crossover points: 700Hz, 2KHz
Room Efficiency: 93dB

Silver Member

Post Number: 423
Your speakers are very efficient so I think you migth have a problem somewhere in your system.

Post Number: 6
Thanks for everyones help. The receiver is under warranty, I'll take it to have them inspect it. Another newbie question, are banana plugs better than bare wire?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us