AUI Speakers (20+ yrs old) ...can I bring them back to life?

Anonymous
I have come to own a pair of 3-way AUI speakers that are over 20 years old. They have very solid/heavy sealed cabinets measuring 11x15x25 inches, 12 inch woofer, horn and tweeter. I have no other specs available for these speakers, and can't find any info on the internet. I recently hooked them up to a NAD 762. They sounded great...even at full volume (2-channel stereo mode = 100+ watts), with no distortion.

The rubber membrane around the edge of the driver/woofer cone is rotten and disentigrated when I tried to gently wipe off some dust. I want to replace the woofers and hope to restore these speakers to their former glory...and hopefully end up with a speaker that can take full volume from my NAD 762 receiver with no distortion.

Can I simply replace the woofers with an Eminence Alpha 12" woofer (150W RMS / 300W Peak 45Hz-5kHz, 8 ohms) and expect to get good results or is it more complicated? Do I have to worry about matching the tweeter/horn and crossover?? (I'm very new at this.)

Any suggestions appreciated...are these speakers worth saving?

DenonFan
Depends on what it will cost to upgrade.

To find out if the Eminence will be a good match take out the old woofers. The specs should be on the magnet. Contact Parts Express or other online speaker part retailer. They should be able to direct you to a good replacement woofer. As for crossovers if the tweeters are still working the capitors may not need to be replaced.

Anonymous
Thanks...I removed one of the woofers from the cabinet, and unfortunately, no markings of any kind. I can get two Eminence Alpha 12" woofers for under $120. Tweeters seem to be working fine...just the woofer that's damaged.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us